News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Getting License - Racing Questions

Started by PolishPete, January 10, 2008, 12:59:16 PM

Jason748

Looks like your getting set-up, my old bike, Rob's Trailer...  I agree, you've spent enough time masterbating, it's time to get on with some real lov'in  :biggrin:
Retake the class, either the learning curves or Dave' Visionsport school, and do a race weekend.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

Sobottka

i did my race school
then one trackday (1 day)
then did a 4 race weekend 
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Super Dave

I think I did my race school, a hundred race weekends or so, then a track day.  I'm not sure I'm ready for track days...LOL!    :ahhh:
Super Dave

PolishPete

Maturbating to be a better lover = Too funny.

I guess that's a really good way of putting it.  So now, Learning Curves of Vision?  Why?

What's a typical race weekend like?  We'll probably be doing Blackhawk.  What's the timeframe, practices, $/cost for racing like? (not the equipment like tires/fuel, but the cost for each race, etc.) I'm running a 600rr?  What classes?  Jason?  Maybe I'll email you and you can let me know.  I'm not sure what I'm eligible for based on what's done to the bike.  Where can I look this up?  I think I would need the plastic piece that holds the transponder.  Where can I pick that up? 

See guys, I'm getting ready for my first race in January, and it probably won't be till' July.  I like to be in the know.

Thanks again for the info guys.

PolishPete

Quote from: Super Dave on January 10, 2008, 06:47:18 PM
I think I did my race school, a hundred race weekends or so, then a track day.  I'm not sure I'm ready for track days...LOL!    :ahhh:

LOL

bill999s

The only thing I would add is that if you race a track you've never been to before, do the Friday practice day if it's available. My very first race weekend I did VIR. My good friend says "don't worry, you'll be fine." I missed my first practice, which gave exactly 10 minutes to learn the track. The bright side was I didn't wreck until my third race.

Grashopr

QuoteWhat's a typical race weekend like?  We'll probably be doing Blackhawk.  What's the timeframe, practices, $/cost for racing like? (not the equipment like tires/fuel, but the cost for each race, etc.) I'm running a 600rr?  What classes?  Jason?  Maybe I'll email you and you can let me know.  I'm not sure what I'm eligible for based on what's done to the bike.  Where can I look this up?  I think I would need the plastic piece that holds the transponder.  Where can I pick that up? 

TYPICAL Race weekends for me go ilke this: 

Weekend prior to:  Prep the bike, change the oil, check for loose brake bolts, engine bolts, etc..   

Thursday night:  Travel time.
Friday:  Practice Day.  If I've never seen the track before, I 100% DEFINITELY do the practice day.  If I've seen the track before, try to get into one of the early endurance races on Saturday or a high-lap GP.  Less cost, more sleep, more 'race time' for the $$.
Saturday:  Races
Sunday:  Races

I run the CCS GP series, so my weekends are a little bit different than the rest of CCS from what I hear;  We have practice on Saturdays all day, then a compressed Race Schedule Sunday all day.

Prices: 
Gas:  I figure $150 in gas for any 'away' race.  (I drive a gas guzzler....  seriously).
Practice Day:  $150
Race Entry:  $155 (entry fees for Superbike and Supersport plus transponder rental and gate fees for a single-race-weeeknd).

CCS #303

Old Woman in a Cage: "WHAT were you thinking doing wheelies down the road at 60 to 70 mph??!!"

Idiot on a Triumph: "Oh we HAD to be going faster than THAT ma'am!"

Jason748

Yea, Shoot me a e-mail a with what you'd like to know and I can let know what I'd recommend, and who to talk to.
CCS MW/GP #82 am
CRA #82 am
07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Powersports, Lithium Motorsports, RoadRacePrep.com

r1owner

Quote from: sobottka on January 10, 2008, 06:33:57 PM
i did my race school
then one trackday (1 day)
then did a 4 race weekend 

I call BS on this one... there is NO WAY you could be as fast as you are without doing at least 3 years of trackdays somewhere Rob!

PolishPete

Thanks for the info guys.  Keep it coming.  Anything else I should know.

Jason, you have mail!!

roadracer162

Maybe not necessarily jump right into it. You are doing a lot of the right things by asking questionsand getting to know where to go. The practice day before a race-day is very helpful. You will know when you are ready to race.

Some have asked me for advice about become a new rider (street) I ask, "how are you at driving a car". If they answer that they get tickets or crash I give the advice to not even bother. The same goes here. If you are doing well on the tack days, it may be time for you to move onto racing. You won't regret it.

Just know, you won't be the fastest guy oout there. you won't be the fastest beginner to ever grace these race tracks. Everyone won't be standing in te stands watching you, unless you are crashing of course.

Mark
Mark Tenn
CCS Ex #22
Mark Tenn Motorsports, Michelin tire guy in Florida.

PolishPete

Thanks for the response.

I think I'm ready.  Maybe I just thought that "racing" was a much bigger deal than it is?  You guys make it seem like "anyone competent" can do it, and maybe that's the case...I just thought it was WAY more technically involved.  Great info though.  Jason sent me an email too which answers a lot of the questions I had.  Thanks for that Jason.

P.S.  Just read on the WERA forum about some embarassing situations at the track...and driving 7hrs to Blackhawk, trailer loaded and all, forgetting your bike, has got to take the #1 spot!!