News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Getting License - Racing Questions

Started by PolishPete, January 10, 2008, 12:59:16 PM

PolishPete

I came on this board looking for tips to get into racing about 3 years ago (maybe 2).  In that time I've gotten a lot of input and knowledge.  I did Learning Curves and a track day 2 summers ago, then about 7 trackdays with NESBA this past summer.  A friend and I are planning on doing about 10-12 trackdays this summer, and after buying Rob S's trailer recently and talking with him, we figure maybe it's time we try our hand at racing (as that't the ultimate goal).  We planned on doing one more year of practice doing track days, however Rob feels we're better off jumping in and getting our feet wet.

So, we'll probably try to do a weekend or two of racing mid to end of the summer.  What all do we need to do to get our licenses and be able to race.  Do I have to take Learning Curves again?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

smite1

They'll prolly make you take learning curves again...  I think the class is only good for a year.  Shoot an email to the office. 

I agree with Rob... get into racing now.

Sobottka

i didnt know you were polishpete!!! :thumb:  like i said, most AM's have only as much or less experience than you... take the dive! 
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Super Dave

Racing certifications are only good for 365 days.  After that, yeah, you'll need to go to an approved school for recertification. 

Super Dave

PolishPete

Thanks for the input guys.

Any specific reason why everyone says to jump right in?  I would think this would make the AM level a little more dangerous, if there were a lot of people with little experience racing.  Is this not the case?  At what point do you guys think you can know if you're ready to race.  For example, when I'm out on track days, whats a sign to look for that would let me know I'm ready.

I'm the type of person that likes to learn everything about everything and in detail before jumping into something, so I thought slow might be best for something as dangerous as high speed motorcyle racing.  Am I just looking into it too much?

Super Dave

Well, the only way to experience racing is by racing.  You do it by doing it.  If you're not doing it, you're not doing it. 

Try and do are completely different.  Similarly, want and doing aren't the same.

Before track days, track time was only available by racing.  But I don't recognize todays racers with huge numbers of track days under their belt as any more or less safe than those that follow the rules given in their simple licensing school. 

If you don't think you're ready to race.  Don't.  No one can make the decision for you.  You might never be ready.  When you want to, do it. 

That make some sense at all?  Not being mean, just cutting to the chase.
Super Dave

Greg_Williams

Dave's right.  At some point, doing additional track days to prepare for racing is like masturbating to learn to be a better lover.
Greg Williams

Cafe Racer Inc.
816-221-0711

www.caferacerinc.com

r1owner

Well, there are two schools of thought I guess... you can sit back and do trackdays till you know you can come out and turn dominant laptimes (it's been proven to work).

Or you can throw caution to the wind...

I did a total of one trackday before I raced.  Did I make mistakes... sure... do I still make mistakes... yep. 

If you're at all competent on riding a bike, you'll be fine.

r1owner

Quote from: Greg_Williams on January 10, 2008, 04:24:38 PM
Dave's right.  At some point, doing additional track days to prepare for racing is like masturbating to learn to be a better lover.

LOL!

honda60071

Like what they said just do it. If you feel not ready then stop. Do a race feel it out, you'll be glad you did. One thing does make it better have someone with on your first race because you will pressured to have everything just right and it won't happen trust me. I'm no expert like dave or some other people on this board but chaces are you'll love it and can't wait until the next race weekend.
Shawn

Super Dave

Hey, after my first race, I felt sick.  (IRP - April '87 - WERA National)

Honest. 

I didn't have any other real experiences before hand though either to shake off some of that sensory overload. 

I made a decision to continue, and it's been tons of fun, and some crying, ever since. 
Super Dave

Willyz

Quote from: PolishPete on January 10, 2008, 03:40:38 PM
I'm the type of person that likes to learn everything about everything and in detail before jumping into something, so I thought slow might be best for something as dangerous as high speed motorcyle racing.  Am I just looking into it too much?

Red900 has a brother? Your last name isn't Boyd is it??   :biggrin:

BK