News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Who do you buy your tires from?

Started by tshort, February 24, 2003, 05:13:34 AM

tshort

Read the other thread about Michelins etc, and found it interesting that Michelin has come out with a new compound - might have to check that out.
Last year I tried Pirellis for first time, and I was IN LOVE.  Wow.  They didn't last real long, but man did they hang on.

So my question is:  where do you all buy tires from?  Pirellis?  Michelins?  Same source?  Do you buy in bulk for the season at a discount, or just as you need them?

(ps - I'm in Milwaukee, so I'll be mostly at BHF and R/A this season).

Thanks,
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

motomadness

Buy them at the track.  If you buy them in bulk from the vendors that service the track, you may be able to get a bulk pricing deal.  In any case, when you buy at the track, your mounting costs are included with your tire purchases.

spyderchick

If you're in Milwaukee, then check out Torque Center on National Av. in New Berlin. Tell them you race, tell 'em Alexa sent you, and ask for their friendliest price. Everyone in the moto department is knowledable and courteous. I think all of them either race or do track days. Good luck.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Dawn

We buy them at the track from Tom Mason.  He handles both Perilli and Michelins.

Dawn   :)

OmniGLH

I also buy from Mason.  

You should support your trackside vendors before going to an outside source.  You get good advice from Tom - be it on compounds, pressures, etc... that you don't get if you buy from some .com or other shop.  His prices are definitely reasonable too.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Speedballer347

I get mine from Tom Mason too.
Great guy!  He has really given me lot's of advice during the season.
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Nate R

Anyone got some info for me on Pirelli longevity on an SV?

If anyone used the SC1 up front and the SC2 in back, can you tell me how long the tires lasted on your SV? (Like, 3 weekends with morning practice, 3 sprints, and a GT race, etc)

Oh, and what's the name of the new Michelin Compound for the SV? Are they supposed to last longer than Pirellis?

Hmm, maybe Dunlops are worth the extra $ because of more longevity?

Thanx for any help anyone can give!
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

numbskullz58

MASON, MASON, MASON, oh did I mention that you should buy your tires for Tom Mason. Nicest guy you will ever meet, and knows a s@#$ load about tires.

Steve

Xian_13

I know this is a bit of a tangent, but what do Dunlops, Michlins and Pirellis sell for track side?

I am still undecided about what tires I want to run for this coming season, so I think the biggest factors are going to be Contingency and $$ to make up my mind.
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

OmniGLH

Well, I think I heard that the Michelin and Pirelli prices have changed from last year.  I don't know for sure - I haven't purchased set yet this year.

Last year, a set of Michelins (S2 front, M2 rear) went for $360.  I believe the equivalent set of Pirellis was $330.  I have NO idea what the Dunlops ran, as I never bought a set.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Thingy

I agree, get your tires from the track vendors.  You can get Michelin and Pirelli from Tom Mason.  You can get Dunlops from Andy.  They will be at all of the races that you will be attending.  

Michelin is going to have some really good prices on the soft front, medium rear this year.  (I think less than $300?)  Not sure about Pirelli prices.  I know that Andy will have the new 208 GP 'A's this year.  I have heard rumors about a 209.  But, it is just a rumor at this point.  Maybe somebody else knows more.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

Super Dave

Tom Mason is the man...

Additionally, the race vendors don't get their tires from Parts Unlimited, Bell Industries, Tucker Rocky, etc.  The race vendor tires come from different places within the system.  The will feature the latest construction, compound, and build dates.  That's really, really important.  
Super Dave