News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Recommendations on new leathers?

Started by Speedballer347, October 07, 2007, 10:55:37 PM

Speedballer347

Like to get a new set, mine are way heavy and stiff.  Lot of padding, but thick and wear me out as soon as I get them on.

My priorities are lightweight/comfort and crash-protection.  I do not crash very often (knock on wood) so having a suit last through 30 crashes is not that high on my list.
Would also like to have a good selection on graphics.
Do not want Kangeroo, even though it is lighter.  I do want a lightweight suit though. Lightweight/flexibility is prolly my very top priority.

The two brands I am looking at is either a custom XES suit from Moto-Heaven or RS Taichi.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.  This is the last suit I will ever get, so I want to make the right decision.
I am planning to order it after Xmas, for 2008 season.
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Super Dave

Well, first, wearing a suit a lot, and wearing it a lot and sweating in it, causes the material to deteriorate.  So, potentially, I'm gonna say that looking for the last suit you'll ever buy might be shooting at a target that doesn't exist, unless you're just not going to wear it more than some special occasions.

Comfort can usually come from just being ordered to fit you rather than off the rack. 

I'm older and I've done this for a long, long time, and I need my life to be easy.  Comfort is important to me.  Protection is paramount.  My selection is different than yours, but my leather choice isn't light.  It doesn't affect my performance even in hot conditions on track or keeping them on, and getting out of them easily, off track.

Alexa will surely chime in.

Super Dave

racerhall

get a komodo suit
they make them custom to size and color and are very durable and can put on all logos
tell lee i sent you and maybe he will give you a deal
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

spyderchick

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

mikendzel

Dainese has the D-Stone fabric that's lighter than leather and breathes very well....

BigJerm7

+1 on komodo.  they are an up and coming company and support racers better than any company i have seen.  ty howard and troy green wear them and they won the overall moto-st championship.  do some research on them and don't rule them out.

Super Dave

Ok, if everyone it going to wave a flag, I'll do it too.

I wear 'em, the Wood brothers wear 'em, the Hayden's wore them before big contracts came...

Yeah, I crash well.  But I have help. 

I've seen riders buy other leathers, fall down, and then look at their leathers...after one crash and say, "I guess I'm another guy that's thinking, 'I shoulda bought Vansons.'"

Good luck!
Super Dave

Speedballer347

Thanks for all the info and advice, everyone!

Dave, I know you are right as far as Vansens....I know it is best protection and longest lasting.  I could be way wrong, but I thought I remembered them being thicker/heavier than I really wanted.  I'll take a look at R1owner Scott's Vansens. 
I am so out of shape, that my heavier/thicker/stiffer leathers are knocking my energy for a loop.  They are Bonsacks old leathers, and are so old they will stand up by themselves, like a manequin(sp) :)
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Super Dave

Maybe Todd's got bad karma in those...LOL!

Yeah, they are thickier, which is heavier...

But how much, really?  Stop eating bread or something and you'll lose the body weight that is the difference in the leathers.  Might make you feel better anyway.

I still have my leathers from '94.  They are really spent, but nothing else would have been through so much.  I don't think most manufactuers are figuring out how to make better cows, but they are figuring out how to use less of it.  Lower cost leathers has caused more leather sales, but I find the durability of some of those leathers to be appalling compared to what was available even from the same manufacturers less than ten years ago. 

You've got choices. 
Super Dave

Speedballer347

Quote from: Super Dave on October 08, 2007, 03:53:16 PM
Stop eating bread or something and you'll lose the body weight that is the difference in the leathers.  Might make you feel better anyway.

I need to stop eating a lot more than bread to knock this 30 lbs of fat off my poor body  ::)   :thumb:

Super Dave

Hey, I'm down 13 because I know what my allergies are.  You can do five.   :jerkoff: :biggrin:
Super Dave

gonecrazy

Hey baller I know of a very intresting shop downtown that custom makes leathers, i take mine there for repairs, but I wouldnt go there just for fun unless you got a steel plate rivited to your azz