News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Project SV Super Bike

Started by grasshopper, May 18, 2007, 01:42:34 PM

grasshopper

Project First Generation SV650 Super Bike Comes Together
5/18/07

Tonight my SV finally comes together. Let me tell you, it's been a big learning experience this round with mechanics, friendship, finances and patience. I do believe that I can build a SV650 motor almost completely by myself next round. There are a few things I'm a little questionable on though, like how to measure the connecting rod bearing sizes with plastigauge. But K3 will help me with that. Rite buddy!?!?!  :D

My wife Rachel has a lot to do with support and backing of this project coming together. Thank you Rachel. I Love you! Your understanding for my love of racing and motorcycles is greatly appreciated and never taken for granted.

My good friend Gus has been really cut short on hours with work and between taking care of his 3 teenage daughters (one is going to College), making sure his wife is happy, and trying to make up for lost hours at work by fixing bikes on the side in his garage he still found the time to help me put this motor together and teach me most of what I need to do myself next time around building a motor. Thanks a lot Gus, words can't express my appreciation.

I'd also like to thank a few other people who have helped me through this process. Brian, Rally, Steve and Matt at Valley Racing have been a huge help with sending the crankshaft, pistons, and rods down to Falicon for balancing and just plain friendship with advice and expertise. There are very good people at Valley Racing. Thanks Guys! Also I want to thank Zoran Vujasinovic at Twin Works Factory (775-786-4881) for all his help and advice about the SV650. Let me tell you people, this dude is the DAMN SV DOCTOR, he knows every nook and cranny about a SV650. He has helped me big time! Thank you Zoran for your time and help along the way. I also want to thank Ed Key and Bill at Motorcycle Performance in Madison Wisconsin for advice and help along the way.  Jason Damico, you helped me a lot with your advice man, you know your stuff, thank you. There are many others I'm sure but I can't think of at this time. This project has been a big one for me. For some this may be petty shit, but for me it has been a mile stone.

So she comes together tonight. At least the motor does and I plan to put it in the frame. I mite be short a valve shim or 2 but hopefully Valley Racing (708-946-1440) will trade me a few for what I need. Steve, you working Saturday, I need valve shims man.

I plan to shake the bike down at Road America the Monday after the AMA Super Bike races. What a place to break in a motor rite? I don't think I'm going to have time to get it on the Dyno until after that weekend so hopefully the jetting is Ok to get me through.

Thanks for reading, and I will see you at the race track.

Nick Desautels

EX_#76

Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor

grasshopper

Thanks Guy, and thanks for your advice along the way.

SV88

So Nick - I take it that you won't be running LWSS :biggrin:  Are you going to be a sandbagging AM again or did you get the white plate? :kicknuts: 
I'm actually having a relatively good start on a s tired (34000 street miles - 64 hp -dynoed at Topeka) stock motor, modified rear GSXR750 shock to be replaced by a new Elka 3 clicker next week, Pilot Powers to be replaced by Pilot Races after or during the next race weekend.  I still feel that this bike is not yet limiting my ability to go fast.  When/if I get down into the high teens @ BHF maybe then...

What gearing are you thinking for RA?

Steve.

Fastsv650/SVR6/Steve sv23
09R6rdrace,13KTM250xc enduro,03SV1000N, 99-02 sv650 project
ret. CCS MW/FL/SE 88  Moto A SSP 881

grasshopper

Expert for sure, never Sand Bagged bud, never scored enough points, still never scored enough for expert but I'll have white plates for sure this year. As for RA, 16/44 for gearing. You should be just dandy.  8)

benprobst

All of you people should really stop building sv superbikes and wait to buy mine next year  :biggrin:
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

grasshopper

benprobst

ive heard nothing but bad things about those fork braces. how do you like it?
BP Performance_Team Dreaded_Motul_Michelin Tires_SLU Machine_Midwest Cafe Racing_FastbyEnrico_Outlaw Kustomz_BS Design
Home of the GSXR 565

grasshopper

Feel pretty stable to me. A little more stable than without it.

Scotty Ryan

Nick - I thought I saw you working on your bike quite a bit this past weekend. From your other post it sounds like everything worked out just fine tho. I had a blast running the Speed Werks SV 650 in the Moto - ST. It has been three years since I last rode one - and I was just glad i could help those guys bring home another win. Does anyone know what times people were turning on SV'S? We were restricted by weight 380 and HP 73 - just curious. Mainly want to see how fast Ed was going.
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Ridgeway

If I remember correctly, I saw that Ed had a fast lap in the 2:32-34 range in one of the races.  Not sure which bike he was on, or which race it was in though.

I imagine all the times will be up on the new timing website eventually.
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

EX_#76

Quote from: Ridgeway on July 10, 2007, 12:21:58 PM
If I remember correctly, I saw that Ed had a fast lap in the 2:32-34 range in one of the races.  Not sure which bike he was on, or which race it was in though.

I imagine all the times will be up on the new timing website eventually.

Those were on the "B" superbike I believe
Guy Bartz
MW EX #76
Mass Reduction LLC Home of the Grip Doctor