opion about back protectors, and help

Started by Steviebee, February 05, 2003, 05:54:06 PM

Steviebee

So i've decided to get a back protector !  

I'm thinking about the Bohn Pro-racer which is 1" thick.  or there carbon/kevlar which is 1/2 " thick.

No one carries them around here so i cant go try one on and see how they fit.  I'm worried that the 1" thick one wont fit under my jacket.  There is a 1/2" thick pad in my jacket i can take out.

How tight or loose is your jackets without the back protector ??

When im sitting upright, i can pull out the front of my jacket about 3 inches, so i have some room ??

Anyone have the Pro-racer (or would like to reccommend another one ) ?  How do they fit ?

Thanks

Yes. im sitting here in my leathers typing on the computer.  Why did i ever leave Florida and move to the mid west ???  oh yea that dam work thing again.

spyderchick

Jack, very interesting article. However there are a few points that were of concern to me.

Before I begin, I'd like to state that it is my position that you should always buy the best protection you can afford, be it leathers, helmet, or assorted armour. Spend your money on protection before you spend it on go fast parts.

John Ulrich states in the article that the Dianese back protector did not "prevent injury". Geoff Travall of Planet Knox said that his back protector could "significantly reduce the risk of injury". The first statement by Mr. Ulrich reveals a common misconception amongst racers. Back protecters are desiged to reduce impact and provide abrasion resistance.  

The second statement by Mr. Travell is on behalf of his product. Can a back protector "significantly reduce the risk of injury"? No. It might lessen the severity of the injury, but it can not reduce the "risk" of injury.

Mr. Ulrich's column is an opinion column. You as a racer express your opinion by using products you trust. Is a Knox or Bohn back protector "better" than another?  Maybe, maybe not. You decide, it's your body on the line. Is the Dianese crap? To me, that would be a bit extreme. Any aftermarket back protector is better than none.

When purchacing protective equipment, learn all that you can from non-biased sources. Look for head to head testing in controlled environments. Understand that there are quality control issues even within the same style and brand of a manfacturer's products. Above all, buy what you find to be the best choice for you.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

spyderchick

Steviebee,
               You should have a comfortable fit with your back protector in place. 3 inches seems like alot of room. If you can pull a handful of leather away from the chest area when the back protector is in place, then your leathers are not fitting properly. Problems with this can range from them just being annoying to wear, to more serious risk of injury. How can your leathers injure you? If you slide, your leathers can roll and fold, causing a snake bite. It might just be a nasty contusion (bruise), but it can also rip the skin, requiring stitches.  
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

EX#996

Paul uses the Fieldsheer back protector (2000 model) and has had good luck with it.  In other words he has tested it out a few times.   ::)

Here is some information on the 2003

model.http://www.wherethepoweris.com/dlrindexsend_pg_catprod_levelcode_5530_catalogcode_737_partheadernumber_55662-X+20+Back+Protector.htm

Dawn   :)
Paul and Dawn Buxton

sdiver68

I've  lowsided in both the Dainese and Bohn back protectors, and slid on my back in both cases for quite awhile.

Both did a good job.  I think they are both designed with different definitions of what a back protector should protect against...spinal injury impact absorption in which case I would unscientifically give the nod to Dainese, versus a more general protection of the Bohn.

What I think would be ideal is a full coverage type protector like the Bohn, with the hard plastic for the spine of the Dainese.

I would also like to see some type of torso protection in the front, a street version of what dirt racers use.  I know there are some out there like the Dainese vest, but it not quite what I'm looking for.
MCRA Race School Instructor

SliderPhoto

Steviebee

thanks for the help guys.

Think im going to get the Bohn cool racer version of the proracer.

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteWhen purchacing protective equipment, learn all that you can from non-biased sources. Look for head to head testing in controlled environments. Understand that there are quality control issues even within the same style and brand of a manfacturer's products. Above all, buy what you find to be the best choice for you.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks

And when you tear that equipment to shreads, call Alexa Krueger at Spyder Leatherworks.  If you've never seen what she can do, you wouldn't believe it.  And the prices!  She must peel leather off cows while they're sleeping to be able to get us back racing for such reasonable prices.  Did I mention custom graphics?
Lex, you da man, woman!
K3
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

spyderchick

QuoteLex, you da man, woman!
K3

Thanx for the kudos K3.
Hmmm, I da man? Don't know whether to be insulted or complimented.
(just messin' with you. You know I luv ya too.)
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

Super Dave

And if you want a set of leathers designed for the rigors of racing...

Vanson...

The rest are just fashion leather suits.  

That comes from years and years of field testing... ;D

A word on back protectors...  I think the most important thing it to use one.  Some may be better than others in practice, but I don't remember a great number of spinal injuries before back proctectors were commonly available.  And I believe that most spinal injuries in racing are from body wrenching twists.  Much like what Wayne Rainey had.  In that case, a back protector can do nothing.

Obiously, in pre back protector days, when you fell down, it felt like you fell down a couple of flights of stairs.  You were beat up, yes.  They they started making impact armor, lots of back protectors, etc.  

Buy what you can afford.  Afford as much as possible.  You need good stuff, and the bike really doesn't need a pipe...   8)
Super Dave

r1owner

Has anyone tried the Spidi Airback?  I am considering getting one of those.

Also re Vanson.   I crashed in my Vanson, and it held up well.  I sent it in to have them go over it, and they only charged 40 bucks to go over it and repair any thread that was damaged.  So far, I am very happy with my Vanson suit.