MANDATORY BIKER ORGAN-DONOR BILL

Started by motomadness, January 30, 2003, 12:49:21 PM

motomadness

just found this on RRW's site:

1/30/2003
AMA Objects To New Mexico Bill Which Effectively Classifies Helmetless Street Riders As Organ Donors

see the following link:
http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld/scripts/NewsInsert.asp?insert=5149

Appaulling isn't it.

Chef

Thats Seriously Comical !!!
i checked yes on my license.............
 however,
that is DEFINATELY my choice.
many family members (of friends) are against doaning  (ive heard).....
(i didnt mention it to my family, but at that point, i'll be done with them old organs, and if someone else needs em, "be my guest, hope i didnt ruin em"
the big joke here is that if my daughter needed something,
and lessay...... i noticed a helmetless biker, doesnt look too much
 like a drinker,.........hmmm, ...looks pretty healthy........
you know, accidents ARE accidents..........

and why-o-why  (drum roll....) ( million dollar question)

why not take the seatbeltless ???

i mean, it seems like they want to call the helmetless, irresponsible.
and so why not any drunkdriver with a braindead status....
and what would be the difference between a guy wearing a helmet thats
"braindead" and one without ???

seems like a joke

ike
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

EX#996

Sen. Allen Hurt (R-Waterflow) = Idiot

I have signed my organ donor card, but it was my choice.  No one should forced to give up thier organs just because they were on a bike.   ::)

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

GSXR RACER MIKE

Descrimination at it's worst! This definately is out of bounds with our freedoms of choice in the USA. No matter what your view on organ donation, to force someone to do this is wrong. How about changing it to 'if your overweight' then you must donate your organs to someone who isn't! It's the same thing as this, cause your most likely donating to non-motorcyclists.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Pit_Girl

i agree that it's your choice to donate your organs, and i checked yes on my drivers liscense....

but, not to be controversial, i feel that if you are silly enough to ride without a helmet....well, then....(*shrugs shoulders)...

and besides, if you care more about not wearing a helmet than saving your brain, then what do you care about the rest of your organs?

oh, and i do think it should apply to seat belts as well.

-jen

Xian_13

Pit girl,
I honestly don't think weather you choose to or not to wear a helmet is and issue here.

First off if such a law is passed, what is to say, they will not stop there...
You know the right riding boots are important, does wearing tennies give anyone that right to harvest your body?
Silly as it sounds, its the same point.

Also, who is to say a Doctor would even know if the victim had a helmet on or not? Could or would the EMTs remove it on the ride to the Doctor?
Regardless of all the reason we can think of as to why this is just wrong... it is still a violation on our human rights, and sadly its focused at Motorcyclist.

Not to mention us out there with rare blood types, Doctors think of themselves a gawds (please no flames) and some may be forced with an ethical decision as to save another, simply by saying he was not wearing a helmet.

With out getting into the million of different reasons that I can think of right now, the whole thing makes my head swim with out rage.

And yes I am an Organ Donor, just not at this time
;D
CCS/ASRA Midwest #140
Secondary Highway & Swift Molly's Motor Circus
facebook.com/SwiftMolly
Michelin • STT

Chef

Quotei agree that it's your choice to donate your organs, and i checked yes on my drivers liscense....

but, not to be controversial, i feel that if you are silly enough to ride without a helmet....well, then....(*shrugs shoulders)...

-jen

in my opinion, the same choice that we have to check yes on our D.L.
is the same choice we should have to wear a helmet or sunglasses....
like birth control , you should choose, im not for murdering a child, but if theres a rape, i dont think you should be forced, it's about choice (to me)
and i guess that im a lil bit sensitive (not that life changes) that you say i'd be silly to CHOOSE to wear sunglasses (as i have for about 16 of 19 yrs).....
(sometimes i wear glasses, 15 20% of the time)
jen, are you runnin for sen. ???
40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

ice

There is a word that is used specifically for situations like this:

Dumbness

Beware:

There is dumbness amongst us.

Baltobuell

My glasses have been getting thicker for 25 years, I've smoked for 30, my heart's broke, and they sure as heck don't want my liver. :)
  Wait a minute, Maybe I should fill out an application to get ME some new parts.

gpconcepts

Yo Xian_163_AM_MW
Many excellent points made but ya gotta start using spell check....yikes!

Pit_Girl

eesh...i didn't mean to ruffle any one's feathers with my opinions...

once again, not to be controversial...
now, i'm all for freedom of choice, but with some things, there is no choice... i can choose wear sunglasses, just like i could choose to kill some one(not that i would), but just because i have the freedom to choose doesn't make it right.  

Quotejen, are you runnin for sen.  
lol, a senator? no, but i am studying to be a medical examiner... and it upsets me every time i see a motorcyclist ride by without a helmet or a passenger in a car who's not wearing a seat belt, because i always think "you know, i might be seeing this person in my morgue becasue they made the choice not to wear their helmet/seatbelt" and it's the same when i see someone smiking or doing drugs.  it's their choice, but it could kill them.

food for thought, when a race organization requires helmets, is that infringing on one's right to choose? they are forcing you to wear a helmet. it's either that or not race. so if you have no choice in the matter, why do you still race?

-jen

Pit_Girl

oh, by the way (before i really get yelled at)... i do agree that it is wrong to target only motorcyclists in this manner.  if they wanted to make a helmet law, why not get up the kahonays and do it.  but, in addition, they should also actually enforce their seatbelt laws....

-jen