07 Rule Proposal - stolen idea

Started by Jeff, October 04, 2006, 04:35:15 PM

Jeff

So this is an idea which is not mine, perhaps the originator will jump up and make sure I expressed his idea correctly.

The top 10 # plates should be REQUIRED to run the number they have earned.  If they want to hold their previous number, it can be reserved for a small fee (say $50?).

Primarily, it would provide visibility to the BEST within the club.  Spectators who aren't familiar with that really fast #69, #19, #etc etc guy can see at a glance that WOW! hey! there's the #1 guy and he's behind the #3 guy!  That's some good racing there!

You make top 10, you should be proud of it and happy to wear it!
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Eric Kelcher

FYI there is no charge to hold your "old" number if you earn a top 10 just notify office that you want to run top ten and to hold old number (as long as you submit by the deadline) 

The top ten number is held for that person regardless if they use it or not.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Jeff

Thanks Eric...

How about making the top 10 wear that #...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Cornerman

I think it is a great idea. Especially for the fans as you mentioned.  :thumb:

Super Dave

It all depends.

For some, the attainment of a top ten number is their focus.  However, some people keep their number for their racing identity.  Rossi, for example, uses number 46.  Hopper, 21.  DuHammel, 17.  Rich Oliver, 97.  Kufalk, 42.  Guy, 76.  RC, 4. 
Super Dave

Mongo

Schwantz never used any number but 34 or 1 - for a reason.  That's why it's good the AMA finally quit using different numbers for riders depending on the class they ran, your number is your name on track and personally unless it's a 1 - and you've earned it in the class you're running - you needn't run anything else.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
www.wera.com

Super Dave

There were a couple riders that had signature single digit numbers.

Rainey, 6.  Nixon, and when Nixon allowed him to use it, Springsteen, 9.

Didn't Schwantz have, like, 269 on that GS750 Yosh bike in 1985?  Still, I agree with your point, Sean...
Super Dave

ahastings

Quote from: Eric Kelcher on October 04, 2006, 04:47:36 PM
FYI there is no charge to hold your "old" number if you earn a top 10 just notify office that you want to run top ten and to hold old number (as long as you submit by the deadline) 

The top ten number is held for that person regardless if they use it or not.
That is good to know. I was told by one of the ladies that if I chose to run my top 10 number next year I could lose my original # which I didn't want to do since I have the same #305 with both sanctions I run.
Arnie
A&M Motorsports
Mid-Atlantic VP Fuel Vendor

Court Jester

not that i ever really expect to make it into the top ten any time in the near future, or maybe at all, but i have #469 and that's the only number i want. i picked it for a reason.
CCS# 469
WWW.SUPERBIKESUNLIMITED.COM

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOOOHOOO! What a freaken ride"

racerhall

as long as my real number is on hold i plan on using the number 1 plate
Midwest ccs #69
asra #69
ama #66
www.schaumburgaudi.com

weggieman

I agree the #1 plate holder should run the number one plate, all others should be able to run whatever they want.

bambam

i kinda like the idea of the top 10 running the number they earned. it tells us slo pokes who we have the most to learn from. i do see a problem though with people who run the same bike in multiple classes but only won the plate in 1 of them. they wouldn't want to be constantly changing the numbers or adding and removing an x to the plate.