PR-C front tire .. suspension changes?

Started by endoracing, September 28, 2006, 02:31:02 PM

endoracing

I am going to run a set of PR4/PRC tires at the gingerman event and I'm curious what kind of suspension changes are typically needed from a rounded profile tire. I ran a set of power race mediums and a set of pilot powers (pilot powers not at race events, but the profile is rounded) so far this season and have been fairly happy with the suspension setup.

The bike is an 01 f4i, right now I have full racetech internals in the front, and completly stock in the rear. Triples are down about 15mm on the forks, which dropped my time by about 10 seconds with the rounded profile tires.

My main issue is do I want to raise the triples back up a bit since the turn in is faster on the PR-C's? I know 15mm is pretty far down, so I dont want to get myself into trouble with the PR-C. Suspension is a bit of a mystery to me at this point so any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff Schultz

Super Dave

You'll need 85 degree weather, preferably to run the PR4.

I know the PRC is more like the old S2 race tire.  The Pilot Powers are taller at the rear and shorter at the front compared to the old tires. 

Maybe Edgar will pipe in, but I think that the tires are close. 
Super Dave

endoracing

QuoteYou'll need 85 degree weather, preferably to run the PR4.

85 as a high or 85 as a low ? the pr4 is a softer tire than the pr5, unless I've been informed wrong, which I figured would be better for October. I think we'll be lucky to see 60, let alone 85.

Protein Filled

From my experience, like Dave mentioned, the PR4 needs a lot of heat or it will tear. Use a PR5 or a PR3, they will last longer in cold weather. The PR5 is a sweetheart of a tire: Good grip, good longevity and they are very versatile. They are very resistant to tearing. The PR4 is a bit more finicky it seems. If it's not warm out, or the suspension is not setup right, it will tear.

The PRc is close the the old M2, S2 shape. They are taller than the PR1 and PR2. They are actually closer in shape to the power than they are to the PR1/2. If I were you, I would not change anything, just go out and ride and see how it feels. Since the tire is taller than the PR's that you are using now, it will be like if you raised your tripple clamps 3-5 mm's. If it feels like it turns in too fast, then raise the forks up on the tripple's and try again.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

endoracing

hmm, ok .. I think I'm just gonna run a pr1/pr5 then .. I think thats probably the closest to the power race mediums that I was on before profile wise...

Thanks for the advice - jeff

tstruyk

CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

Sobottka

dont worry about it! the prc is a better tire, run it! :thumb:
Lithium Motorsports
Suspension Solutions
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe

Super Dave

Yeah, I like the PRC tire much more than the PR1/2.  The feel from the Pilot Power is better than the PR1/2, in my opinion, and the PRC is even better.
Super Dave

endoracing

well I got the prc/pr5 ... damn that thing is TALL .. hopefully it will serve me will this weekend @ gingerman. Everyone do the anti-rain dance, cause I cant afford a set of rains for the weekend =/

endoracing

anyone know if the light spot of the power races is at the barcode that is around the bead ? I know there is supposed to be a white dot, but I dont see one on them anywhere. or are they pretty much balanced all around these days ?

Protein Filled

No light spot, so just mount it and set balance where ever it lands
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

endoracing

ok cool, thats what I did... The front took 4 sections of weight to balance and the rear took 5, 1/4 oz each piece I think ? .. the powers I had on there only took 1.
felt kinda weird puttin that much weight on a wheel.