Concerned about our future

Started by GSXR RACER MIKE, January 21, 2003, 06:47:53 PM

chris_chops

Many of us racers are individuals and we were led to this sport because it is was our individual goal to race and challange ourselves and the limits of speed.  Fortunately, we meet similar people and build lasting friendships with other racers and people who invovle themselves in this intense sport.  Within the gates of blackhawk on any particular weekend is a gathering of what I consider to be a blend of individuals, ambitious freaks, talented atheletes, challengers and the challenged.  All together we are still a fringe society.  Name one other racer from your highschool or college.  In Chicago, I have never met another racer other than at a motorcycle shop.  The chances of meeting another racer in America is 1 in 54000.  My math may be flawed, sorry.  I'm going off of approx.5000 liscened racers and approx. 270million Americans.  What is entertaining about motorcycle roadracing to the other 53,999 people for every one of us?  I know why we like it, but why would anyone else?  What would make it more entertaining and what do we have to gain or lose from it?  I have some ideas but I'd love to hear some others?  Dave, if you already have a book on the subject, I'll take a signed copy at the banquet.

Chef

OOOOHHHH !!!!

KC124 !!!!

those serving our country should also earn more than the defensive player of the year....

<singin>
go KC, its ya brthday....... go KC..........

40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

Lowe119

What about promoting at huge rides or motorcycle get-togethers?  I put a couple lights on my race bike (granted mine is still close to stock) and went to the Crud Run outside of Madison, WI in October. Almost everyone there (usually hundreds show up) went over and scoped my bike out. I was too shy to stand by it and explain to people what it was about, but the people I did talk to didn't even know our races existed.  This ride happens twice a year (May and October) and is always a huge turnout. If someone who would benefit from more race spectators or participants had some sort of display or booth, the word might get out a lot more (at least in this area).

Motorcycle Performance had their two Ducatis there, but it seemed pretty intimidating to approach the guy.  I tried to play my bike off as street legal so I didn't attract attention. I just wanted to ride.

It took me almost a year of asking dealers, mechanics, and riders to even find out that these races were only 50 minutes away. I know there are a lot of people that think the only ones close are the AMA races at RA.

I'm just putting in my 2 cents also. I'm hoping some of you with more ideas will expand on these thoughts

Nate R

I'll be street riding my bike this year, too. (Race bike with lights)

I'm hoping that a side benifit will be promoting a positive image for M/C racers, and helping raise awareness of the sport, and more importantly, my sponsors!  :D
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Speedballer347

QuoteAnd if you're "sponsored" by a dealership, unless they let their customers know that it sponsors you...
Dave, I am sponsored by a local dealer (cost on parts) and they actually told me when we set up the deal, to "not tell anyone, cause they don't want all the racers coming in trying to get discounts" ;D ::)

$15 bucks a day is too much for spectators.  I can guarantee that my friends, and their friends, and their friends aren't going to ride all the way to our local track and pay that.
Club racing's OK if you are doing it, but it isn't that cool to watch...I prefer watching Rossi for free while I pound chips on my easy chair ;D

I sure wouldn't pay $15 bucks to watch you guys :D ;)
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

TZDeSioux

What can you buy with $15 these days anyway? 3 packs of cigarettes cost $15. Can't even eat a decent steak for $15. A day at the race track as a spectator is worth more to me than to go see a movie and eat a bucket of popcorn for the same price.

spyderchick

If you tell 2 people and they tell 2 people and they tell 2 people...

Maybe CCS should rip off that old shampoo ad and put on local stations the weekend before we race.

Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Speedballer347

QuoteWhat can you buy with $15 these days anyway? 3 packs of cigarettes cost $15. Can't even eat a decent steak for $15. A day at the race track as a spectator is worth more to me than to go see a movie and eat a bucket of popcorn for the same price.
If there was a wheelie shootoff at the end of the day's events...I know plenty of squids who would cut down on their smoking to see that ;)
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

f1fty0n3

I would have to agree with jef4y on this one.  Just to get myself and my girlfriend in the gate will be $70 for the weekend, and over $700 for the year, even though I am participating and shelling out another couple hundred bux for races.  I think a valid CCS license should get at least the competitor in the gate.

ecumike

OK I've scanned in that flyer.. I'll start a new thread with it so everyone can find it easily.

Frank_Angel

Last year FUSA had a "grassroots" promotional program where they would send promotional materials, including large posters, to anyone willing to help promote the races locally. I don't know who else did, but we helped out and handed out a few hundred of them, especially for the Summit Point and Pocono events. Had them posted at all of the local bike shops, and many restaurants and convenience stores.

Baltobuell

I had my (yes I know it almost doesn't count) Buell for over a year before I even heard of track days. I had no idea CCS existed. The big problem with roadracing for spectators is you can't see unless it's a nascar track. Dirt track grandstands are usually full for a national.