News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Concerned about our future

Started by GSXR RACER MIKE, January 21, 2003, 06:47:53 PM

SfGentlemn

Hello All,

Just a quick observation if I may..

As far as CCS gates I cannot speak to, but AFM gates were and have always been 80% plus competitors and their direct friends and pit crews, families etc and 20% or less, outside fan base. Lets face it, it's grass roots racing and as exciting as we find it, most do not. I'm sure the Midget and Sprint guys feel the same way but I can tell you I never spent the 10 bucks to go watch the local Sprints run at the fairgrounds, yet I'll watch World of Outlaws on tv..go figure

For four years our team actively pursued corporate sponsorship.  We found that local sponsorship was relatively easy.  Dealerships (parts at cost) Paint and Body shops (Paint work and some small cash) Embroidery shops (Uniforms) and industry sponsors (bodies, brakes, clutches etc) were relatively easy to obtain merely by having multiple bikes w/ matching paint, matching uniforms and a fairly large pit , two 10x20 EZ-Ups and our Trailer. We knew we didnt have to win but merely present a polished and professional image and we self promoted our local sponsors heavily by placing the bikes in their shops on weekends we werent riding or wrenching etc, etc.  We even managed to get one local body shop approval to use their flatbed as the crash truck at Sears Point.

Despite this, corporations were still not interested. So we produced a five minute splash video, a website, more interest and we managed to secure small corporate deals and picked up Big 4 Rents (a West Coast Rental Company) and Primestar.  

Finally, when we entered into negotiation with Hewlett-Packard, we discovered a couple of interesting items.  We had been cold calling every high tech firm we could, with little success. At the time we were letting people jump up on the bikes, we swould shoot a digital picture of them on the bike and then email the pic to them from a laptop via wireless modem. We managed to talk to HP seriously only after an AMA round at Laguna Seca after the partner of HP's Director of Marketing - America One program stopped by our pits and got a picture.

After 4 months of negotation we stalled. Here are a couple of some surprising and some obvious reasons.  1. We priced ourselves too low at 1.2 million. Apparently HP America doesn't look at serious sports marketing programs untill they reach the 3-5 million plus stage. ie Nascar/Yachting.
2. There were no altruistic benefits, ie cancer research, or community enrichment etc, etc.
3. ProfessionalRoadracing in the consumer television popularity demographic ranks 41'st BEHIND womens golf?!?!
4.  Barcelona Spain and their High Speed Printer Division of HP was the only division that ended up being interested.  They wanted to use the picture concept but add their printers and models and print posters right there at the track of fans on bikes to demonstrate the printers. But they wanted everything based in Spain running an Euro series.
5. Finally and the point of this whole post, was the deal finally fell apart based on Nascar indirectly..  NASCAR as a format makes sense.  You will notice that FORD, CHEVY and DODGE do not field their own teams, unlike professional motorcycle roadracing in which we ALWAYS find ourselves competing on equipment which will never compare to a factory.  Historically Dale Quarterly is the only "privateer" in recent history that managed to place on the podium (second I believe) in the AMA championship, and even then he was getting Muzzy motors and a ton of Kawi factory support. For those who have ever been caught in the vortex of a Superbike leaving the same corner, you know what I mean.  Simply put, until the motorcycle factories support multiple teams and allow real competition and rider name branding similiar to NASCAR, no corporation will be willing to invest TV dollars in privateer teams who cannot run in the top 5 in AMA Superbike.

And until the day that happens, grass roots  motorcycle roadracing will always remain, grass roots.

GSXR RACER MIKE

Wow, has this ever gone to an extreme. I originally said "more spectators = more sponsors, more potential media coverage, and more potential future racers" when I started this thread. I was not suggesting that I wanted live TV coverage, full page newspaper coverage, or corporate sponsorship - that is not what this level of racing is all about. What I was suggesting was at a much more reasonable level. "More sponsors" was meant as more local sponsors, such as a local businessman who happened to see an ad of some type and came out to spectate and liked what he saw. "More potential media coverage" was meant as the local TV station coming out and getting some highlights for the 10 pm news or the local newspaper doing a write up on our races. It would be nice if the ROC could at least get some TV time on a major network but I realize that may not happen. And lastly "more potential future racers" which I think is obvious to everyone.
     I certainly do not expect to get more than what I just mentioned by increasing the spectator base, though I still believe the potential for lower fees and higher pay-outs should be a result. If not, it should at least help to keep the fees stable for longer and help reduce the dollar amount of future increases.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Jeff

Quote   In theory the more people attending an event the more the profit margin goes up for CCS and in return SHOULD result in lower entry fees and more cash winnings for the racers (and still increase CCS's take - which is what any business wants - profit).

But we all know that would *NEVER* happen.  If Kevin were to show the books to the clear channel entertainment folks and say "Hey Look, we profited $3M this year compared to $500k last year!  Let's cut entry fees in half for next year and I'm sure that people will race even more, and draw larger crowds which will keep us at $3M and be a win-win for everyone!" they'd slap him so hard he'd need a steering damper on his head.

We'd be picking up our McDonald's lunches from him outside BHF...

Face it, this "grass roots" club is owned by a corporate giant who doesn't give a F$CK about our whining.  They know we'll pi$$ and moan, but in the end we'll pay it.
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

ecumike

Quote    Wow, has this ever gone to an extreme. I originally said "more spectators = more sponsors, more potential media coverage, and more potential future racers" when I started this thread. I was not suggesting that I wanted live TV coverage, full page newspaper coverage, or corporate sponsorship - that is not what this level of racing is all about. What I was suggesting was at a much more reasonable level. "More sponsors" was meant as more local sponsors, such as a local businessman who happened to see an ad of some type and came out to spectate and liked what he saw. "More potential media coverage" was meant as the local TV station coming out and getting some highlights for the 10 pm news or the local newspaper doing a write up on our races. It would be nice if the ROC could at least get some TV time on a major network but I realize that may not happen. And lastly "more potential future racers" which I think is obvious to everyone.
     I certainly do not expect to get more than what I just mentioned by increasing the spectator base, though I still believe the potential for lower fees and higher pay-outs should be a result. If not, it should at least help to keep the fees stable for longer and help reduce the dollar amount of future increases.

Yes, exactly what I'm talking about... we're offering some free exposure to us 'grass roots' racers.
I talked to bruce last nite b4 he left for the Outer Banks.. We're gonna make a 'racer profiles' section similar to the FUSA's one, which will include a photo and a little bio about the racer. Also we will can post reports/stories that you send me, as well as any photos.

Hey, it's something, better than nothing... what site currently has info and stuff about the Club level racing?.. none that I can think of besides each our own sites.

Will this make more people aware of our races?... hopefully, that's the purpoose
Will this make more people come watch?... hopefully it'll spark the interest.
Will this make the gate fees lower?... nope, not the point here.
Will this give you a value ad to current and potential sponsors?... Hopefully, that's another point of this.

The CCS site is only 'good for' results and schedules, there's nothing about 'hometown heros' or businesses/sponsors that back the sport. That's where Bruce's newspaper is going to come in play.

Stay tuned

Super Dave

And more...

Ok, first...

Europe is Europe.  Europe is hundreds and hundreds of years old.  The housing is very close together, and the countries...well, we've got states that are bigger.  So, as a result, things are closer.  Space is tight.  Motorcycles and scooters are an accepted mode of transportation as a result.  Even among grand parents, etc.  Oh, and the socialized economies have fuel costs that are outrageous compared to ours.

Here, well, things are a bit spaced out.  I live on a 1/3 acre lot.  I know people with more.  Erik Buell's house is down the road from me.  That's still eight miles or so.  My work is 15 miles.  The dealership I work with is thirty. My dad's house is 510 miles.  You get the picture.

Comparing the two markets is not relavent.  Just doesn't make sense.

NASCAR has a rich history that it has developed for years.  The playing field is strictly regulated so that FACTORY teams don't makes sense.  Teams receive support, but otherwise, they are viable businesses on their own.  

continued
Super Dave

Super Dave

In motorcycle racing, we have a small family community where the factories control the information.  There are special bikes that you and I can't get.  Information that we can't get.  How can someone compete?  The costs continue to escalate.  And the machines change year after year.

Sure, a Winston Cup car is kind of old tech, in a way, but the development receipe is there.  You build on that.  Makes for a really cool playing field.

Dale Quarterley...

I was introduced to Dale in 1990 when the company that I was doing work for  and was sponsored by, the Roscetti Corportation, began talks with him about riding the Bimota's that they were going to import.  In 1991, I was part of a B team that never really emergered.  I did create a relationship and friendship with Dale.

Dale's big program started probably in 1990 when a group of guys that had been helping him stepped up the support.  In 1992, he sold his RC30 and bought a used Superbike from Muzzy.  In 1993, "The Boy's" helped more.  One of "The Boy's" owned Mirage Studio's, the creator of the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", offered more support.  Dale was leasing the Muzzy Superbike's for about $50k a year with a clause where he could buy the bike for $25k at the end of the season.  I think Dale got ninth in the 200 that year (he fell down on the last lap in one?),  I was on the podium with him at Charlotte when he got third,  he probably would have won Loudon in the rain (but the bike got away from him), Jason Pridmore and I cried together watching him on top of the box at Mid-Ohio.  He did take second overall.

He did have support from Kawasaki, but, really, Dale just did his own work.  When we'd do a motor swap, he'd pick up the motor while standing over the frame (he was 6'3", 195#) while Ron Barrick, Daytona Mike, and I would toss the motor mounts on...

To another subject....

Don't push the cart up the hill with the rope...

More self promotion to spectators and the press will lead to more spectators, more press, more spectators, and potentially less cost to us.

Are we entertaining at the club level?  Ok, who's got autograph cards?  Shirts?  A website?  A recognizable team name?  Any team name?  Do you have huge stickers on your bike for sponsors that offer you a free windscreen and a product discount?  Personally, I've got VRS (Visionsports Riding Schools) about three feet long on my bike.  After all, my money is way more involved than everyone else's.

And how many bikes are really sold because of the stickers that you run on your race bike 150 miles away from the dealership?

Is CCS/FUSA/CCE getting rich on our racing?  I believe that their return for investment is about 8 to 10%.  No big money there.  The rotation of a road racer is about two and a half to three years.  Track riding programs are eroding at the racer base.  The racer demographic is getting older.  Where's the new blood?  And what can CCE do that hasn't been done over the twenty years or so that CCS has existed?  They actually paid to have FUSA on TV.  Went pretty well.  Where was the bigger investment by the teams?  

Does someone give a cr@p?  Yeah, Kevin Elliott was a racer, and, I believe, a racer deep inside yet.  How much can one person do?  Or two, or three, etc.

Ultimately, we are in charge of our own programs.  Hey, get some nice T-Shirts made for $10, sell them for $15.  You could get your own gate fee back and do some great advertising for yourself.  And isn't that who's important?  Charge your sponsor to be on the shirt?  Get a better deal from a sponsor.  

Sponsorships are about relationships.  They happen over long periods.  I've been with Vanson since 1991.  Power Mist since 1992.  Sometimes, I conceed somethings when times are rough.  Payback comes later.  Sometimes it doesn't.  

continued
Super Dave

Super Dave

Maybe we should state that CCS's responsibility is for our racing;  our outlet for doing what we do.  Competing.  Most of the other stuff is really our responsibility.  Building a business of our racing.  

If we can make ourselves marketable, then the press might be interested in what we do.  Then people might come and watch.  Then the press would be more interested.  Then outside sponsors.  Then maybe a local paper would print results.  

Rising costs and gate fees, etc. have been problems forever.  But really it goes back to the rider/"team".

Any thoughts?
Super Dave

GSXR RACER MIKE

Well I guess that I was totally off base with my thoughts on this subject (when looking over the responses). I suppose that I am just not educated enough on the in's and out's of what makes a successful business. I hate to see things 'just getting by' instead of 'kickin butt' when they should be able to. I know for a fact that when the local speedway and dragstrip advertise/do a live broadcast on the local popular radio stations that they 'pack the house', and see a ripple affect for some time afterward. I gather by what has been said so far that sadly this would not be the case with us though. Oh well, I just thought I was on to something with the advertising thing.
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

Jeff

QuoteOk, who's got autograph cards?  Shirts?  A website?  A recognizable team name?  Any team name?  Do you have huge stickers on your bike for sponsors that offer you a free windscreen and a product discount?  

ME.....  I should have gone with the name 'man-wh0re racing'.  You scratch my back a little, and I'll pay you back 10 fold...

(can you believe they censored the word wh0re and replaced it with "sleeper"?!?!  what's up with that!)
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

ecumike

Super Dave... Amen brother.

Yes, to all.. I've got a Web site, hats, polos, team name, and my sponsor's about to buy me an enclosed trailer so I can paint his logo all over it like a moving billboard.

Self promotion is what it's about... and not just yourself, but promoting the races as well to potential sponsors and spectators alike.

Mike.. you're not off with the advertising thing. Make a flyer like the one I posted, pass it out to business, etc. Tell the radion/tv stations about the races, do it all man.. that's what we're saying... it will help with the exposure and bring more spectators.

I agree it's expensive and tough starting out, but ya gotta stay with it, don't give up.. as Dave said:  

"More self promotion to spectators and the press will lead to more spectators, more press, more spectators, and potentially less cost to us."

I believe, and have found out, that racing is what you make of it... To me, if you're not totally dedicated about it, then it'll be like a weekend hobby thing to you and you won't get much return.
If you are dedicated it'll be like a second life, you'll find ways to promote, get sponsors, get friends to come watch, come up with new excuses for your Friday sick days, and hopefully find the ways to reap the benefits of your time & dedication

It's also about relationships and building them. Not just popping by or asking someone for something as a 'quick fix'. Market yourself.

SfGentlemn

Mike,

Actually you are not off base at all!  

We should be able to draw spectators.  It is exciting to watch. As all of those who have posted before here have shown, there are hundreds of ways to market your program no matter how big or small that may be! The more we emulate the AMA in our pit set-ups the more appealing it will be to the street guys who come to snag takeoffs, grab tuning tips and ogle fast bikes.  

Ultimately do I know from sitting through countless AFM financial meetings that the club organizers really dont want to raise fee's and even though it is always inevitable, the more people we put through the gate and on the track may make this escalation slower. I say keep up the good work!!

Chuckling here... Or you can employ the lazy route as preferred by myself and the rest of my worthless buddies; Save a ton of money on bodywork and paint by going so slow you never tip over. Trade your ezups for blue tarp tied to the fence, forget lawn chairs, thats what dead tires are for, save gas money by scamming lifts to the track in your buddies truck and never bring a tool you cant borrow from the guy in the fifth wheel pitted next to you, oh and uniforms?? You know that No Fear shirt/rag you've had since 94? ....exactly!!

Zig

ecumike

LOL.. but how true
I had (still have) bottom of the line AGV leathers for 2 years
EX-UP.. nope, $25 'canopy' from Lowe's Foods store
never had a trailer: used my Honda Civic and rented an open 4x8 trailer from Uhaul for $10/day for 1.5 years
spares?.. what are those?
Air tank? I'm sure someone there'll have one.
$15 camping chairs from Sam's

Of course that all ended last Feb when I got the truck and luckily got some great sponsors. Now I've got it all. But point is, I did my 'time' ( I like to think) so by saving that $$ I can now afford the real-deal

Now, If only I could get a real 250! (TZ250)  :)