Racism within CCS :(

Started by ccsracer26, July 31, 2006, 12:03:08 PM

ccsracer26

Yes, Becka, I remember you from Topeka.  You pitted just a few spots down from me and I recall you having some real frustration over your dealings with one of the officials in tech. I recall that you said that a person in tech had made some expressly sexist comments to you and that you were DQ'd from a win because they said your airbox was modified.  You said that it was 100% stock but couldnt find another SV of that year to prove it so they DQ'd you, right? 

Just to clarify, I have said this in previous posts on this thread, I am not implying that this is an organic problem within the organization and I have had almost uniformly a great experience. I just brought this up to see if has been a problem for others or if others have been affected.  If so, it may, or even likely, be from the same person, which would allow it to be dealt with.
Ryan Gibson

251am

Communicate further with Kevin, if you have not already. CCS staff and it's racers are just another cross section of society; racists, thieves, grifters, good folks and bad. Don't let it get you down on the racing. Too many folks walk away from it as the result of a handful of bad apples.

How'd you like the thunderstorms on Sunday?!  :ahhh:

Jeff

Quote from: 251am on July 31, 2006, 05:26:17 PM

Loved 'em just sad to see them go so quickly...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

HAWK

Quote from: 251am on July 31, 2006, 05:26:17 PM

Race 1, looked like we would be ok when we got last call but by lap 2 turn 11 looked like the end of the world was near and by lap 4 I was riding with a fogging smoke visor and seeing a debris flag in 11 on slicks. Talk about survival mode!
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

funsizeracing

I can get over a DQ, we're all adults and I'm just having fun out there anyway.  The only thing that really disapointed me was that an offfical would act like that.  O well, I'm over it.  I just want to continue having fun with CCS.  I really do think that it is an isolated incident with just one official.  Like I said before everyone else is great!.  Last year I did my first two races, I was totally clueless and everyone was so helpful and understanding.  I've never had any other problems.
Becka
CMRA EX #126
TipToes and TonkaTrucks Mini Endurance #75
CCS EX #126
www.caferacerinc.com
R&R Tool & Die Co.
www.ducatiomaha.com

ccsracer26

Thanks for the feedback.  So far I know of one other person that has had similar issues of this sort with the same person.  Anyone else?  

Also I agree with Becka that this is an isolated issue.  The racing family feel is definitely present within CCS and I  have had a great expereince so far and had a ton of really nice people help me with all kinds of things.  I am too thankful to be a part of this organization and hope to be able to give back the same way other more seasoned race folks have to me.   However, there may be several others that have had issues with this person, which would be good for Kevin to know about now, while he is considering these problems. 

As for the storms, yeah, they were no fun.  Buttoning down everything, then un-buttoning down everything to scramble getting rains on was no fun in the unbearable heat!  Gingerman in October actually was sounding kinda nice over the weekend :).
Ryan Gibson

TommyG

Quote from: Hawk on August 01, 2006, 04:21:43 AM
Race 1, looked like we would be ok when we got last call but by lap 2 turn 11 looked like the end of the world was near and by lap 4 I was riding with a fogging smoke visor and seeing a debris flag in 11 on slicks. Talk about survival mode!
The stupid thing about that debris flag is that it was for a tear off on the front straight!! Mine!

HAWK

Quote from: TommyG on August 01, 2006, 09:12:17 AM
The stupid thing about that debris flag is that it was for a tear off on the front straight!! Mine!

Well that explains why it was not folded diagonally, being on slicks and having limited visibility I just chickened out and backed off and finished in one piece. That was some front though.
Paul Onley
CCS Midwest EX #413

b dizzle

Hey, at least race 1 was better than race 2. The first hot lap was fine, and the first start was ok.  It was turn 1 that screwed everything up.  An EX on a yellow bike (I couldn't tell what kind through all the dust) took out Opie's teammate on the Police squad.  Looked like a pack job going into 1.  By the time I got to turn 4 it was red flagged.  Exit track, spend 10 min. just chilling in the hot pit.  2nd hot lap...again red flagged due to the increasing volume of rain falling = back to the pits we go...just in time to see my canopy taking flight.  After 15 or so minutes of watching the infield fill up w/rain, I head back out for a hot lap on 208GP's.  Yep, DOT tires.  No rains yet, the budget is kinda tight.  When I get to pit lane, there are only 10 bikes total out of an original 30 or so.  3 AM's including myself, the rest are experts...and all are wearing rain tires.  After hot lap #3 I decided enough was enough, and exit stage left. Oh, and because of all the red flags, we didn't clock an official lap during that entire 45 minutes...this here pretty much sums up how I felt =>   :banghead:

catman

This (original) topic hits home forme-my daughter recently went to her Rutgers college tennis coach to make him aware of some statements made by one of the parents about an afro -am player on the team that showed( still to this day) a bigoted stance by (they were) adult aged folk.The afro am girl plays the #1 spot on the team and the other girl's parents couldnt accept that their girl wasnt playing the #1 spot -the remarks were made w/only my daughter nearby but she was bothered by it so she felt it necessary to go to captain and then the coach- i feel sorry a lil for the girl whos parents were so little about this,she now pays the price daily because she has 2 more years on the team before graduation- i am so proud my daughter took the route she did.Its not all about generalizing,people should be rated (if necessary)on their own character-Have a nice day,my grass should be a nice brown in color appearance by the end of today its over 100 degrees again in the NY NJarea- this should cut down the need for lawn maintenance greatly-nothing left to cut! CHEERS :cheers:John in NJ

weggieman

what's this baby boomer crap about growing up with that? like it's not still around every day now and nobody is growing up with it any more? wake up..........

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's a personal opinion and choice of the individual to talk like that and hold those beliefs but damn man....blame it on being a baby boomer??? that's stupid.

by the way, yes, I am a boomer...........

K3 Chris Onwiler

If I were to start worrying about what skin color my friends have, I'd have to give up about half my friends.
That said, racism is all around us.  I find myself genuinely challanged by it on an almost daily basis.  I mean, you hear the racial slurs all day, and most often as fond compliments from one member of a minority group to another!  Then there is TV, not to mention movies and music.  Worst for me is the raging racism of my coworkers.  They will go so far as to ask me, "Did you and your ------ buddy go to the races this weekend?" just because they know it pisses me off.  Lord, they are quite the bunch....
So thanks to the world we live in, each of us is constantly bombarded by a litany of slurs and hatred.  When somebody of a different race cuts you off in traffic, what is the first thing that pops into your mind to yell?  Sadly, I have to admit that for me it is a slur.  Fortunately, I have gotten very good at catching them before they leave my mouth.  I don't want to think like that, and honestly I don't believe that way in my heart.  But when you hear those slurs all day every day, is it surprising that a slur pops into your mouth instead of "ASSHOLE!" which is probably what you really meant?
OK, so that's my rant.  I don't know who this thread refers to, and in no way condone such bigotry.  Neither was I trying to postulate an excuse for anyone or for their behavior.  No one is justified in using that type of language in public, and for a representative of CCS, such behavior is totally unacceptable.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com