News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

f40 why no 1000's?

Started by jeff_mckinney, March 26, 2006, 08:17:46 AM

Super Dave

In the 2008 season I can race in Formula 40.  Will I race it?  I don't know.  I race the over thirty class in dirt track when I'm given a ride, but the over thirty guys can be some of the fastest consistently.

F40 for CCS?  I don't have problems mixing it up with 16 year olds or 21 year olds.  So, I'd really prefer to race with the fastest and take points from that.  Not that I worry about points anymore, but I like to do well.  I don't think that F40 is a bad thing, though.  The club racer demographic is much older from when I started doing this all those years ago.  And if one wanted to race a class, you got a bike for it...or rode faster on the one you had.

I suppose that F40 being broken down into more classes isn't a bad thing.  I don't see where making "regular" F40 a 600 to 1000 class is reasonable.  The performance envelope of 1000's is stupid now.  And many, many racers at the club level do not recognize the difference in how a 1000 should be ridden.  Again, these aren't the 1100's of years ago or the other almost liter bikes of before. 

So, could there be a F40 lightweight, unlimited, then in between...which then might as well become middleweight and heavyweight...  Maybe.  It's further fragmenting of the program, but if it all runs together...well, I think that's fine.
Super Dave

dylanfan53

Quote from: tzracer on March 27, 2006, 04:56:28 AM
Besides old guys like me should not be racing such a large bike.

Fixed it for ya Brian.

(Sorry...I held out as long as I could!)  :-*
Don Cook
CCS #53

Team-G

It should be based on the rider's weight.  If the rider is over 220 lbs, they should be able to ride 4 cyl 1000's.   I'm tired of eating hay 3 times a day and taking colon-blow suppliments to lose weight.

Larry will have a scale in tech, so bring your donuts and cream puffs.

K3 Chris Onwiler

Quote from: Team-G on May 04, 2006, 09:56:58 AM
It should be based on the rider's weight.  If the rider is over 220 lbs, they should be able to ride 4 cyl 1000's.   I'm tired of eating hay 3 times a day and taking colon-blow suppliments to lose weight.

Larry will have a scale in tech, so bring your donuts and cream puffs.
FORMULA FATTY!  Now you're talking about my wildest dream come true.  I say we petition for THIS class!  I will SO kick all y'all's asses in F Fatty!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

spyderchick

Riders under 220lbs can team up with another rider to make the weight. For instance, say Ed Key wants to ride a GSXR 1000, he must take Guy (or Rhiannon) along with him, and together they must make weight.  :biggrin:
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

TommyG

Quote from: cardzilla on April 30, 2006, 05:04:56 AM
Nooooooooooo!

Don't you think we have too many classes already?  I've always wondered about F40 anyway... not to slight anyone, but why not just help fill out the grids for the regular races your bike qualifies for.  Is finishing 3rd or 4th in F40 better than 10th or 11th in a supersport race?  God willing, if I'm still racing at 40 I would still enter the same classes I'm in now, not F40.  I think contracting the classes would help contingency and overall competition... I'm pretty tired of lining up against a whopping five other riders.

Hey, SD, what's your opinion?  Your a bit closer to 40 than me and you've been a very competitive rider over the years... do you plan on adding f40 to your schedule of races when you turn 40?
The problem Dave really has with F40 is he already gets beat week in and week out by the top runners!! Check the results!!!  KAAAABBBBAAAAAAAMMMM!!!! :kicknuts:

Team_Serpent

Quote from: tzracer on March 27, 2006, 04:56:28 AM
Besides old guys should not be racing such a large bike.

Excuse me?!

Team_Serpent

Quote from: CCSRacer114 on April 26, 2006, 04:32:39 PM
You all should just petition for the creation of  an Unlimited F40 class (Ex/Am - Unlimited SS Rules) and add that to the current field.... (It would only be 6 simultaneous races instead of the now confusing 4).

I'm not sure we could get 6 waves of us old guys off the line before the first wave hits the start finish :)

I'll tell ya one thing, Purk and I are on 600's and Tommy is on a 750, it's already pretty hairy coming through the lappers.  I'm not sure we need an even bigger speed differential.

I was already thinking about asking CCS to split the classes up into seperate races when we get a larger turn out (which in the midwest region it's been a pretty strong turn out so far this season.)

Team_Serpent

Quote from: cardzilla on April 30, 2006, 05:04:56 AM
Nooooooooooo!

Don't you think we have too many classes already?  I've always wondered about F40 anyway... not to slight anyone, but why not just help fill out the grids for the regular races your bike qualifies for.  Is finishing 3rd or 4th in F40 better than 10th or 11th in a supersport race?  God willing, if I'm still racing at 40 I would still enter the same classes I'm in now, not F40.  I think contracting the classes would help contingency and overall competition... I'm pretty tired of lining up against a whopping five other riders.

Hey, SD, what's your opinion?  Your a bit closer to 40 than me and you've been a very competitive rider over the years... do you plan on adding f40 to your schedule of races when you turn 40?

Ah, young grasshopper - first off the guys I know finishing 3rd or 4th in F40 ARE also filling out the grids in the other classes their bikes qualify for, and they an't finishing as far back as 10th or 11th in those classes either!

Now if your question was really valid then I'd say one word - contigentcy.

What classes are you running that only have 5 or 6 riders?  If you're tired of small grids maybe you could get another bike and run some races with bigger grids - just an idea :)

251am

Quote from: Buell_391 on March 27, 2006, 05:15:41 AM
Here is what I forund in the handy dandy rule book...

6.8 FORMULA FORTY - All participants in Formula 40 must be at least 40 years of age. (Amateur and Expert Divisions)
  6.8.1  All machines legal for LW/SS, LW/SB, 125 GP or Thunderbike are legal for LW-F40.
  6.8.2  All Formula 40 machines must meet the requirements of LW/GP or HW/SS.

LIGHTWEIGHT FORMULA 40 (Amateur and Expert Divisions)
Single Cylinder, Unlimited displacement.
Two stroke, unlimited displacement.
Twin cylinder, air cooled, Unlimited displacement.
Twin cylinder, liquid cooled, 3 or less valves per cylinder, unlimited displacement.
Twin cylinder, liquid cooled, 4 valves per cylinder, non-desmodromic valves up to 750cc.
Twin cylinder, liquid cooled, 4 valves per cylinder, up to 750cc.
Three cylinder, non fuel injected, up to 1200cc.
Four cylinder, 3 or more valves per cylinder, air cooled up to 1200cc.
Four cylinder, 2valve, air-cooled, unlimited displacement.
Four cylinder, liquid cooled, up to 565cc.
Four cylinder, liquid cooled, 1990 to 1992 model year, up to 650cc.
Four cylinder, liquid cooled (oil or water), pre-1990 model year, up to 860cc.

Note: Pourpose built road race machinery such as Yamaha's TZ250, Honda's RS250, ect. are excluded form LW/F40. 125cc two-stroke GP machines are eligible for LW/F40.

FORMULA 40 (Amatuer and Expert Divisions)
Twin cylinder, liquid cooled, up to 1000cc.
Four cylinder, liquid cooled, up to 775cc.
Four cylinder, air cooled,2 valve, up to 1100cc.
All other engine configurations, Unlimited displacement.

I hope this helps. BTW, what are you wanting to ride? Mark B.

This is really some of the most archaic non-sensical stuff. When I hit the big old 4-Oh I cannot run my RC51 in it?

The regs need to be re-examined some, and redone, eh?

K3 Chris Onwiler

Uh, wouldn't your RC51 be a Twin cylinder, liquid cooled up to 1000cc?

The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

251am

Quote from: K3 Chris Onwiler on July 07, 2006, 11:22:32 PM
Uh, wouldn't your RC51 be a Twin cylinder, liquid cooled up to 1000cc?

Uh, duh, thanks.  (don't drink and type, like me... :kicknuts:)