News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ed Key's SuperBike SV

Started by Nate R, December 16, 2002, 10:18:15 PM

Nate R

I just wanted to share this. Saw it on the WERA board. Apparently, it's a dyno from the SV that Ed Key bought after riding it at Daytona this year.

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

K3 Chris Onwiler

And I'm sure Ed's thrilled that you posted it.  That's why I always tell the dyno guy my name is Harvey Mushman... 8)
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

The bike was originally owned by Dave Doe.  It was known that it made around 97 plus HP.  Even as much as 103.  Reliability is somewhat of an issue.  

I prefer to be know as Harry S. Truman... ;D
Super Dave

tlrj

I keep hearing that Bob Fisher is coming back on the mb motorsports SV this year. :P

Eddie#200

QuoteAnd I'm sure Ed's thrilled that you posted it.  That's why I always tell the dyno guy my name is Harvey Mushman... 8)

It's ok to post it if it was already on the web somewhere... Now try to get the same power reliably.  All I can say is good luck keeping yours together.  It will co$t plenty to do it correctly.

Be careful...if you cut corners the dang things will grenade, causing oil to go everywhere.  There was a bad accident at CBIR last year.   :o

So where did Steve get the name Harvey Mushman anyway?

Nate R

K3 Chris Onwiler,

Like others said, this is already on another board, and on that website.

But, either way - why should someone be upset if I posted their dyno? Why do you think he'd be "thrilled" to know I posted it? So what if someone else knows how much HP you have? We all know Ed Key is an excellent ridier. He's fast on the 100 HP or the 72HP SS bike.  By giving actual dyno #s, what is he losing?

Let's pretend this wasn't on the web somewhere else already. What is Ed losing by having others know what kindof HP his bike makes? The thought that he's an immensely better rider than before? Well, I think it'd be pretty obvious that he's got quite a motor once he passed racer X's 85 HP SV. So, I don't think that's the case. So, what could be the potential problem? Just curious.

I do understand that posting something like this for the first time on the web w/o permission is a different issue.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Protein Filled

I believe the reason that K3 mentioned that is that Ed is pretty particular about telling anyone what his bike does in terms of hp or weight. K3 is the same way. He does not want anyone to know his "little" fzr 400 actually has a fzr750 engine stuffed in the cases and makes 121.4 hp.

It's not hard to get 100 hp out of an SV reliably as long as you change the valve springs often from my experience. You will have to tear the engine apart a couple times through the season, but these twins are real easy to work on. I believe that Ed did better lap times on his supersport SV though. IMHO, handling is much more important for lap times than outright hp, but it's always easier to pass people on the straights than have to do it in the corners.

The accident at BIR from 2000 was caused by valve springs breaking and grenading the motor. I replace the springs on my SV every 3rd weekend just to be safe...
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Nate R

OK. But, why is he or K3 particular about that sort of thing? If "they" don't know WHAT Ed or K3 did to lose that weight off of the bike, or gain that HP, what difference does it make?

I just don't understand. Just by knowing the #s, it's not like someone can right away use the ideas they did to achieve the same results.

Nate
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

spyderchick

I happen to know that Ed is planning on running his personal SV in the coming race season. That bike was on loan from Mr. Doe. Now as to whether further arrangments will be made as to Ed's use of the SuperV, well, the jury is still out.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Nate R

My understanding of it was that the SB SV WAS on loan. Ed liked it so much, that he bought it!

That's just what I heard. April will show the real story, I guess.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

sdiver68

The Dyno results were posted when Doe was trying to sell the bike, before Daytona, I got the link from www.2wf.com classifieds.  I put the reference to the 2wf ad on the other board in a thread about 85+ HP SV's.  That was before I knew Ed ran the same bike @ Daytona, and I think maybe even before he DID use it @ Daytona.

Regardless, all of it was obtained through the web without knowing anything about Key personally, and for that matter not knowing Key was using the bike @Daytona.

MCRA Race School Instructor