News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Ed Key's SuperBike SV

Started by Nate R, December 16, 2002, 10:18:15 PM

Nate R

I just wanted to share this. Saw it on the WERA board. Apparently, it's a dyno from the SV that Ed Key bought after riding it at Daytona this year.

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

K3 Chris Onwiler

And I'm sure Ed's thrilled that you posted it.  That's why I always tell the dyno guy my name is Harvey Mushman... 8)
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Super Dave

The bike was originally owned by Dave Doe.  It was known that it made around 97 plus HP.  Even as much as 103.  Reliability is somewhat of an issue.  

I prefer to be know as Harry S. Truman... ;D
Super Dave

tlrj

I keep hearing that Bob Fisher is coming back on the mb motorsports SV this year. :P

Eddie#200

QuoteAnd I'm sure Ed's thrilled that you posted it.  That's why I always tell the dyno guy my name is Harvey Mushman... 8)

It's ok to post it if it was already on the web somewhere... Now try to get the same power reliably.  All I can say is good luck keeping yours together.  It will co$t plenty to do it correctly.

Be careful...if you cut corners the dang things will grenade, causing oil to go everywhere.  There was a bad accident at CBIR last year.   :o

So where did Steve get the name Harvey Mushman anyway?

Nate R

K3 Chris Onwiler,

Like others said, this is already on another board, and on that website.

But, either way - why should someone be upset if I posted their dyno? Why do you think he'd be "thrilled" to know I posted it? So what if someone else knows how much HP you have? We all know Ed Key is an excellent ridier. He's fast on the 100 HP or the 72HP SS bike.  By giving actual dyno #s, what is he losing?

Let's pretend this wasn't on the web somewhere else already. What is Ed losing by having others know what kindof HP his bike makes? The thought that he's an immensely better rider than before? Well, I think it'd be pretty obvious that he's got quite a motor once he passed racer X's 85 HP SV. So, I don't think that's the case. So, what could be the potential problem? Just curious.

I do understand that posting something like this for the first time on the web w/o permission is a different issue.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

Protein Filled

I believe the reason that K3 mentioned that is that Ed is pretty particular about telling anyone what his bike does in terms of hp or weight. K3 is the same way. He does not want anyone to know his "little" fzr 400 actually has a fzr750 engine stuffed in the cases and makes 121.4 hp.

It's not hard to get 100 hp out of an SV reliably as long as you change the valve springs often from my experience. You will have to tear the engine apart a couple times through the season, but these twins are real easy to work on. I believe that Ed did better lap times on his supersport SV though. IMHO, handling is much more important for lap times than outright hp, but it's always easier to pass people on the straights than have to do it in the corners.

The accident at BIR from 2000 was caused by valve springs breaking and grenading the motor. I replace the springs on my SV every 3rd weekend just to be safe...
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Nate R

OK. But, why is he or K3 particular about that sort of thing? If "they" don't know WHAT Ed or K3 did to lose that weight off of the bike, or gain that HP, what difference does it make?

I just don't understand. Just by knowing the #s, it's not like someone can right away use the ideas they did to achieve the same results.

Nate
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

spyderchick

I happen to know that Ed is planning on running his personal SV in the coming race season. That bike was on loan from Mr. Doe. Now as to whether further arrangments will be made as to Ed's use of the SuperV, well, the jury is still out.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Nate R

My understanding of it was that the SB SV WAS on loan. Ed liked it so much, that he bought it!

That's just what I heard. April will show the real story, I guess.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

sdiver68

The Dyno results were posted when Doe was trying to sell the bike, before Daytona, I got the link from www.2wf.com classifieds.  I put the reference to the 2wf ad on the other board in a thread about 85+ HP SV's.  That was before I knew Ed ran the same bike @ Daytona, and I think maybe even before he DID use it @ Daytona.

Regardless, all of it was obtained through the web without knowing anything about Key personally, and for that matter not knowing Key was using the bike @Daytona.

MCRA Race School Instructor

Super Dave

I had thought Ed had bought the bike too.

I would agree that if the info was on the web, it's pretty much free game, unless it was confidential between two people or something.

Same goes for Power Mist Racing Fuel.  I keep those issues confidential between myself, my riders, and my drivers, etc.  If that person would like to tell you what fuel they are using, that's fine, but I'm not going to tell someone what they are using when we are working together.

I will use examples of how the fuel is being used, but never imply who is using it.

Ed has always been straight forward with me.  If I ask him a question, he answers it for me.  When Mike Riebe was getting started, I introduced the two, and proceeded to ask Ed direct questions with Mike.  Ed pointed us in the right direction.

Ed's a good guy.  Does the dyno sheet matter?  I hope not.  I have a dyno sheet from my white van that Mike Riebe now owns.
Super Dave

YTAK_Racing

Speaking of Ed Key.   How about a big HAPPY B-DAY
to Ed.  !!  
Happy b-day Ed.  How old are you now??

;D ;D ;D

Y

Bam55

You gonna post the van dyno sheet? Or maybe Mike bought it with the agreement that no one can ever know?

Who cares how much power Ed's got, did you think if he still had last years bike you might beat him? I would be willing to take and run bets on that one, I don't think many will give you numbers though!

Super Dave

I showed Kevin Hanson the video tape I have of the WERA endurance race at Blackhawk from 1987.  There are some spots with Ed in it.  Happy B-Day.

Riebe's got the dyno sheet now.

Van made 135HP or so with standard pump gas, then 141 with some Power Mist Nitro Plus added.  Went from 200 to 207 ft lbs of torque.  Run was made on a moble Dynojet dyno.  

HP numbers were pretty consistent with the 25 to 30% loss in HP within a rear wheel drive vehicle's drive train.  Ford rated the 1993 FI 351W engine at about 210HP.
Super Dave

SUPERBIKE_MIKE

Now why do you have to tell everyone how fast my van is. The big thing is how much weight I have dropped off the van. The 200 shot of nitros I just installed should help to.

Protein Filled

QuoteSpeaking of Ed Key.   How about a big HAPPY B-DAY
to Ed.  !!  
Happy b-day Ed.  How old are you now??

;D ;D ;D

Y

Oh, Yeah!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ED!!!

There you go Ytak, starting trouble again!
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Super Dave

QuoteNow why do you have to tell everyone how fast my van is. The big thing is how much weight I have dropped off the van. The 200 shot of nitros I just installed should help to.

I'll put propane injection on my bus and blast you! 8)
Super Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

Why wouldn't Ed want his dyno sheet posted?  Do you actually know Ed?  The more mystery, the more bull$#itting he can do.  He is an outstanding guy, one of the best you'll ever meet.  But Ed understands that The verbal dicing is a big part of what makes racing fun.  (It's actually an R1 motor in my FZR, Edgar.  Just ask Mike!)  To expose Ed's dyno sheet is to spoil some of his fun.  Harvy Mushman was the alias that Steve McQueen used when he raced sports cars and dirt bikes.  Yes, I'm really that old.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

Super Dave

Harvey...

One of the men who races

...ON ANY SUNDAY!

Great movie!

My teammate at Daytona this year was Gary Fisher.  He was the guy that crashed on the dirt track breaking his back.  Then came back six weeks later, soaked off his cast, and raced.  He's 50 some years old now, but he's a wild child.  I think he's me in twenty years.
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

Ed owns the "Orgasmatron" SV, signed sealed and delivered. He will ride both SVs next year but when and where he will ride the superbike is known only to him.

My understanding is he's thinking of detuning Orgasmatron a bit to keep it a little more reliable. So 95 hp rather than 103, who's going to beat him? He kicks butt in SB on his SS machine.......

That appears to be an old dyno chart anyway. The thing put out 103 last year.

the_weggie_man

Oh forgot, Happy Birthday and Ed, let the mind games begin ..............

Super Dave

Mind games are only a problem when you let them be problems.  Otherwise, they are just fun...
Super Dave

the_weggie_man

You do realize we are talking motorcycle racers out here with egos bigger than life .... so fragile and so easy to mess with.  When Ed does it you won't even realize it until he's got you ....too late.

K3 Chris Onwiler

You do realize we are talking motorcycle racers out here with egos bigger than life .... so fragile and so easy to mess with.  When Ed does it you won't even realize it until he's got you ....too late.

Ed's like a leprecaun.  He's sly, witty, a touch evil, and there's always a grain of truth to his BS.  Personally, I admire the guy.  He's sure helped me a lot!

racingscribe

Ed stated in his interview in the December Midwest Rider Magazine that he would save the trick SV for "special" occasions.  Watch out.

the_weggie_man

Every nweekend could get to be special for Ed now that he has the Orgasmatron.