Jake Holden to replace Tez

Started by smoke, October 28, 2005, 08:39:09 AM

tigerblade

QuoteAfter reading this, I realized something interesting: I'm also a friend of Tez's, as well as a fan. But it never really mattered to me that he was black. He's just such a d@mn nice guy. I put people in catagories based on how they present themselves as people. Tez is always friendly, forthright and humble. The fact that he is black is secondary.

Wouldn't it be nice if the world shared that view?  It's too bad that it would be an issue at all, good or bad.
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Chef

All in All....

I wish I had an AMA season....

between my boy, Tez and Me...
Glad one of us had the experience...

40. Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but powerful beyond measure. We were all meant to shine, as children do. When our light shines, we liberate others.

Super Dave

QuoteBut it never really mattered to me that he was black. He's just such a d@mn nice guy. I put people in catagories based on how they present themselves as people. Tez is always friendly, forthright and humble. The fact that he is black is secondary.

Bingo!

Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteIt's just a damned shame that there is so little support available at the club level...

:-/

Try racing at the AMA level and see what that costs.  Yeah, you might get some more support, but the expenses and commitment are many times more than the club level.

I'm with Jim, Jeff.  

There is a huge new swing in the "ideal" of entitlement.  If I want money, I just have to commit to knocking Jensen off the top spot.  

There isn't a huge market base of individuals to advertise too.  Now, if you could motivate people to some see you, etc...then you can market it.

Yes, could Tez have made the decision to do something else.  Where's Tezboogie?
Super Dave

khanson

I havent talked to Tez since this, but hope he stay n the sport.

Regarding OEM support.  The manufacturrers have budgets just like everyone else.  Suzuki still pays the depest and rewards you for being competive.  How many other manufacturers host an event like the Suzuki cup finals that pays a bunch of cash.

However, the motorcycle industry that none of us are getting rich at.  Do you honestly think asking someone for sponsorship and you'll "thank them during your CCS race weekend win will get you any help?"  In the end it all comes down to return on investment. Nobody shows up at at CCS weekend to spectate that isn't associated with a rider.

Be creative and go promote the industry out in the community.  Why do you think I get sponsorship from American Suzuki?  I've been able to enjoy the other side of the coin now and get sponsorship requests from people and its entertaining to say the least.  rust I've made the same mistakes and its an extremely expensive and arduus task running at the AMA level.  Guess what it takes to run a 2 rider team, it will blow your mind.

Trust me I'm still learning from my mistakes, however quit whining about sponsorship and do something to promote the product sponsors that you have.  Tehy aren't going to give you cash unless they see a track record from you of things you have done.  I would say that Stumpy is proabably one of the best guys that I have seen lately going above the call of just thanking his sponsors at the track.

Foremost, if you are racing for fun at the club level, plan on spending it on your own dime.  If you want to reach the AMA level you have to be willing to spend a buttload of money and be willing to look at it as ian investmnt just like going to college with no guaaranteed return.

IF you are going to spend that kind of money, be dedicated and seek the advice of people who have been around the sport for several years. Trust me...you shorten your learning curve and save a bunch of money in the checkbook.   Fortunately, Jim has been a good source of  information for me and saved  me a bunch of money.  However, I've still made decisions this year that have cost me a lot of money that I won't make again.

Its a tough sport and be willing to put in the work or simply write the check for fun.  In the end, I still think its the coolest job/sport ont he face of the earth and I woulnd't trade it for anything.
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

Super Dave

From the guy that followed a program...

Years ago when CART was so good and they were the INDY 500, the program was so good because the teams worked hard.  It wasn't because the organization promoted so much.  The teams recognized that if they made an impact, they would reap rewards.

FUSA bought TV time for a race they had at Pocono in, I think, 2000.  Great ratings, but they never carried on.  The 2000 FUSA racing was great.  It was a real alternative to AMA road racing.

So, if you're gonna "make it", you've got a couple of ways to do it.  

You can be a Denning or a Jensen and go win contingency money.  Good money there too.  No dealer autograph sessions, etc.

Or you can bang your head against the wall and try to play in the big show.  If you have a program, hey, it's the place to get your program some recognition.  
Super Dave

fourandsix

Hey kevin your in Italy go have fun! stay off the darn Computer!  jim

khanson

Actually I'm in Nice, France right now stuck trying to get to the MotoGp race.  

I was typing on an Italian keyboard and it makes typing a little tougher.

Looks like I'm going to London tonight and then to Valencia in the morning.  I hadnt put London on the travel list but it should be cool.....

Can we run the raceshop from Italy, I want to live there!  Caio!
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

Mark Bernard

QuoteActually I'm in Nice, France right now stuck trying to get to the MotoGp race.  

Your not in the middle of the rioting in France are you Kevin?
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Super Dave

Rioting?  

Is it about deodorant or something?
Super Dave

251am

QuoteActually I'm in Nice, France right now stuck trying to get to the MotoGp race.  

I was typing on an Italian keyboard and it makes typing a little tougher.

Looks like I'm going to London tonight and then to Valencia in the morning.  I hadnt put London on the travel list but it should be cool.....

Can we run the raceshop from Italy, I want to live there!  Caio!

Whoa, sweet, did you get to see the Bol d Or?

Mark Bernard

QuoteRioting?  

Is it about deodorant or something?

I just about blew my coffee out my nose!  ;D
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region