News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Jake Holden to replace Tez

Started by smoke, October 28, 2005, 08:39:09 AM

Super Dave

QuoteDon't get me wrong , I do agree with you .. My point is I don't want to see him stop racing because he has gotten to a dream point that most of us have not.  He should still go for his next dream to podium or a win in AMA.  

It happens to a lot of people.  

I don't see that he could have gotten a podium spot with the riding that he did in the AMA series.  

I didn't see anything in his riding or attitude in club racing that would have necessarily shown me that he was capable of that either.

I can hope for it, and a rider always has an opportunity to make changes, IF THEY CAN, to make themselves faster.

Podium finishes are far and few between.  

Many, many, many, many riders have good intentions.  Opportunities are open and closed on many fronts.  For most, the financial opportunities are the hardest.  Tez had that door opened for him.  That opportunity was available but it didn't change the result.

Super Dave

Super Dave

My hopes?

Tez was a lot of fun.  I didn't hang out with him, and he didn't hang out with me.  

Tez has more knowledge now that he did before this journey.  He's valuable.  As a rider you can go away, or you can do something else.  He can ride.  I recognize some of his strengths, and his weeknesses.  He's still a racer.

I'd love to see him race.  Somewhere, someplace.  Because of what he's done, he's a meaningful part of the road racing community.  Tez...go find and R6, toss some tires on it and keep it simple.  He'll go tear-as$ing by me on the brakes heading into seven, and I'll think that he isn't going to make it while I try to get under his apex...

From experience, the emotional trauma alone from doing a full AMA program is really hard.  Knowing who you don't trust, what's bs, and recognizing that sometimes your very best often isn't good enough can be draining.

With that, I can understand why he would walk away after doing something that most can only dream of.  But in the midst of the dream, sometimes it's a nightmare.
Super Dave

Super Dave

QuoteHe should still go for his next dream to podium or a win in AMA.

Even with all the money in the world, sometimes our best is not enough...even with more skills.  

Yeah, Mladin puts on his pants just like we all do, but he's Mat Mladin.  It's a different set of skills, experiences, etc.  
Super Dave

StumpysWife

Did anyone consider it might be Tez's decision?  

And for reasons beyond our business?   ;)

Ridgeway

Good point.

If I put myself in that position, I don't think I'd want it to be honest.  Granted Tez is much faster & more experienced than I, but here are my thoughts.

If I was offerred an expenses paid ride on a top sattelite AMA team tomorrow (yeah, right) , I think I'd have to turn it down.  Bypassing multiple levels of competetion and jumping into the deep end of the pool would not likely enhance my skills much.  Would more likely frustrate and scare me to death running with the top guys in the country (arguably the world).

If I was a naturally gifted rider, who went out and set the world on fire on every machine I'd ever ridden the story might be different.

Maybe a phased approach would've been better?

1. 1st year, Sponsored CCS effort, good equipment, some testing, wrench support etc.

Things went well?

2. 2nd year, bump to FUSA, associated upgrade in equipment, personnell, etc.

Things still going well?

3. 3rd year Bump to AMA, and national glory???

If Jordan's got the interest in helping his friends progress through the ranks AND winning, maybe his program should extend down from the top-flight series through the FUSA and club level.

As much as I'm not a NASCAR fan, the big teams there seam to really know how to develop their talent.  The top cup organizations also have Busch teams, Truck teams, ASA, etc.

It's frustrating to me that riders in roadracing have to bankrupt themselves to even have a shot at catching the eye of the people running the "full ride" teams.

As the sport grows, I hope that the benefits will start to trickle down to the less visible, and local series' so that those with out great financial resources or connections will have a chance to live the dream.
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

K3 Chris Onwiler

That was a very thought-provoking response, Ridgeway.  Well said.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

grasshopper

Lets hope Tez keeps riding! I don't know him personally but it would suck to hear he quit, hopefully he show's his face in the club scene again and keeps riding because he loves the sport. That's why he started riding and racing in the first place rite?

smoke

These have been the best posts i've seen on this board in a long time.

If Tez did decide to stop for what ever reason I know he has got to be going threw some tuff times.
But he still needs to ride some why some how.  

Truth be told: I started this post for a reason. There are not many blks that have gotten to that level. A few years ago there were very few blks on the track or in the pits for TDs. We all need role models/ people to see the say "yes I can try to better my self to get to that level" I may not get there but I can try. Localy here in MA there" NED Brown, Sean, AJ, Storyteller and a few others. At the AMA level there is Tez and Aj and ned and stroyteller run at VIR.

I talk to my "kids in my ride for life programs about " trying to be there best no matter what. I tell them about Ned, Tez and the others.  Super dave was the tpoic of conversation last week.  Why you ask.. Becasue we talked about how some people that you don't even know can become your friend and part of your family becasue that are good people that care and want to help you and they even though they don't know you from adam.

So Tez is a role mode and he probably never even knew it. So I I say thank you Tez from my Kids 8-17 from DC Ride again some how

K3 Chris Onwiler

As I said before, Tez and I are friends.  Therefore, I've had chances to discuss much of this with him.  Out of respect for Tez, I wouldn't repeat those conversations here.  But I will gaurantee you that Tez KNOWS EXACTLY how much of a role model he's been.  Tez has invested a lot of his time while working for Jordan on exactly this.  He and I have talked about all the appearences he's done to inspire the kids and spread the word through the black community about racing.
Regardless of what comes next for Tez, his contributions to this sport and to the black community are beyond reproach.
Really, considering that Tez made it to the top level, became nationally known, has been a role model to many, and had a good time in the process, what has he got to be ashamed of?  Hell, as a rider he could even run a whole race and still be on the same lap with the best riders America has to offer!  I'd be damn proud to have accomplished so much myself!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Peanut298

QuoteThese have been the best posts i've seen on this board in a long time.

If Tez did decide to stop for what ever reason I know he has got to be going threw some tuff times.
But he still needs to ride some why some how.  

Truth be told: I started this post for a reason. There are not many blks that have gotten to that level. A few years ago there were very few blks on the track or in the pits for TDs. We all need role models/ people to see the say "yes I can try to better my self to get to that level" I may not get there but I can try. Localy here in MA there" NED Brown, Sean, AJ, Storyteller and a few others. At the AMA level there is Tez and Aj and ned and stroyteller run at VIR.

I talk to my "kids in my ride for life programs about " trying to be there best no matter what. I tell them about Ned, Tez and the others.  Super dave was the tpoic of conversation last week.  Why you ask.. Becasue we talked about how some people that you don't even know can become your friend and part of your family becasue that are good people that care and want to help you and they even though they don't know you from adam.

So Tez is a role mode and he probably never even knew it. So I I say thank you Tez from my Kids 8-17 from DC Ride again some how

Thanks Smoke.  Tez did well and should be givin props for that.  I'm sure it wasn't easy out there for him being one of the only Black guys at any given track and under the spotlight as well.  But beyond that he is a good rider!  Yes he may not have been the fast AMA rider but he seems to me to be getting faster and still is plenty faster than most club guys.

I get a little aggravated that people write him off, the same people who have no idea what it takes to run up front at any level let alone at the AMA level.  We'll never know but I would think that taking a good, solid club guy and throwing him in the deep end at the AMA, he has done better than most would have.

Role model, definitely.  

Peanut298

Also...

The other day at a NESBA trackday I was asked if NESBA had any other black control riders.  (I'm the only one that I know.)  

When we looked around there were a few more black guys at the trackday than normal and I said, "not right now but if it keeps growing like this, there will be."   I was also asked if more guys are starting to come out and race, (Tez' name was brought up) and there are.

With more participation and guys getting faster and faster, it will trickle down and run the gamit from AMA to even working with a trackday organization.  It just takes a little time.

Now it's not something you can measure but with guys like Tez out there exposing the sport to a number of guys who could care less about racing or even trackdays, I think it will have a influence everywhere.  Jordan and guys like him aren't the olny role models, there are alot of other at every level, and Tez is one of them.

For all the haters I look forward to reading about Tez doing well at a local track near you.  :)

wizard

I must say i have always defended Tez in post bashing him. I dont know him but i know the talent it even takes to qualify. That Tez would rip it up at a club level race.

I will also say Tez in one of the nicest and easy to talk to people in the padock. Everytime i see him he is smiling and taking to someone. He represents Jordan very well off the bike. I think that is important.

I would hope Jordan offers him some level of support next year, be it ama or club level.