News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

SV650s tire consumption????

Started by x2468, October 13, 2005, 09:12:29 PM

x2468

For all you SV racers, how fast do SV650s brun through a set tires? How much better is it than a 600-4?

K3 Chris Onwiler

Lots better.  I coach track days on mine.  The rear will burn up after 8-16 twenty minute sessions, depending on the track surface.  The front will last twice that long.
A 600 can toast the rear in one race if you push it hard enough.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

grasshopper

With a proper suspension set up you should be able to use the rear tire from the previous race weekend for practice on a friday. Then a new rear should last for 4 or 5 races Saturday and Sunday.

Ed Key told us during his suspension class he goes through 3 rear tires for every front.

Depends how fast you're going, the faster you go, the more you will destroy tires, and want to have new tires so you can go that fast.

Depends on the bike, the track, the rider, the tire brand, the weather. All kinds of variables.

Scotty Ryan

"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??

Lowe119

I took my new SV to BFR for a trackday. I had take-offs on my bike and did the whole day with no problem. My R6 would've gone through a NEW tyre and probably most of another one with that much track time.

Granted - that tyre looked like crap when I loaded it up to go home, but I was SOOOOOO happy to use a tyre for that long.

x2468

Wow, i can't beleive tires burn up that quick!  :o But its good to hear the SV is better. I've been jumping back and forth between 600 and sv650 for months. But with tire consumption and insurance rates, i think i'll be going with the SV. even tho it lacks the sex appeal of an RR.... It'll be my weekday commuter and weekend track day runner. I'd be riding at Loudon. Possibly Mt. Tremblant, but 99% of the time Loudon.

Speedballer347

I just started riding an SV at a couple trackdays.

SV: 1 set weekend.  Might be easier on rears, but since you are cornering harder to keep up, and coming in harder, it tears up the fronts quicker imho.
In my limited experience, I can't see stretching them out for more than one raceweekend....

600: two sets a weekend.

Tires are really going to depend on the rider, and how hard he pushes the bike.  I've heard of people doing 4 weekends on a set w/ an SV.

Just depends.
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

Super Dave

Best part of a tire will probably last eight to sixteen laps.  After that, it's down hill.  Some go off more than others.

How long you can run a tire is based on a few things:

How fast you want to go?  If I think I can win and I want to win, well, I'm gonna fit a tire.

How good you are at feeling traction with your set up.  Some bikes don't have good feel.  Some do.  It's a responsibility of the rider to do that work.  I can teach schools on destroyed tires.  But I'm not going to have the safety margin to go as fast as I would on race day.  

Three to one on fronts?  Yeah, I'd agree with that.  

Old ragged out tires need tire warmers.  Yeah, you'll use them on new ones too, but there are reasons why you'd really make sure that very, very worn out tires are warmed up.
Super Dave

grasshopper

a few track days this year I enjoyed riding on worn out rear tires, on the exit of the corner goose it just to where you know its going to spin, pretty fun playing on the edge of traction. I like playing with the rear tire spinning but the front is a different story. I hate the feeling of a worn out front, where its washing out on you.

Sounds like you're just doing the occasional track day, I'd keep seperate rubber for the street and for the track. Whole different set of wheels would be the hot ticket

clutch

I use one rear for 3 sprints and use a rear for a solo race and one sprint on a typical weekend.  I will also use those tires for practice after that.  They do start to go off after about 30 laps or so.

Gixxer124

I got 3 GT's and 6 to 8 sprints on my Dunlop 209's this year. But I'm slow.

Super Dave

QuoteWow, i can't beleive tires burn up that quick!  :o But its good to hear the SV is better. I've been jumping back and forth between 600 and sv650 for months. But with tire consumption and insurance rates, i think i'll be going with the SV. even tho it lacks the sex appeal of an RR.... It'll be my weekday commuter and weekend track day runner. I'd be riding at Loudon. Possibly Mt. Tremblant, but 99% of the time Loudon.

I don't remember Loudon to be terribly destructive to tires.  Speedballer has a thought that an SV trashes front, but the SV he raced "didn't have brakes" which is kind of uncommon...I though he had suspension issues from this far away, and this further reinforces that question.

It was suggested that you have a separate set of wheels or tires or something.  If you can afford it, do it.  Riding on the track will allow you to really explore some traction opportunites that you can't on the street.  If you were to use a tire that was a little more squared off from street riding on the track, you're going to have turning issues.  

I've done some testing of Michelin Pilot Power Sports on the race track.  I had really impressive lap times with them.  Their durability was excelent on track.  Traction was not as good as the Pilot Power Race tires, but I want to exploit the race tire traction for faster lap times and I will race with a tighter margin of safety vs a track day/school pace.

You could still use a Pilot Power Sport in the rain...on the track and on the street.  Might be a decent compromise if you were going to try and start with one bike and one set of tires.
Super Dave