News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Your worst crash?

Started by Speedballer347, October 10, 2005, 07:32:48 PM

Speedballer347

QuoteWhich wall?  I tent pegged into the wall outside of one.  It wasn't pretty.  But everyone seemed to find the time to take lots of pictures of my bike.  It was a real chiropractic moment for myself.  We were separated before we got there too.

Ouch!
T1 is not the wall I would want to get caught up with, no doubt.

I got sideways at the dip in the chicane (hair too much throttle while my rear shock was rebounding) and my rear tagged the wall.  The wall prolly saved me from lowsiding  8)
Broke my ribs and busted up my bike, but in reality, I came away from it w/ no complaints.  Could've been way worse  :)
Did I say I still won that race?;D (!) ;D  Too bad it was amatuer class though ::) :P
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

tstruyk

QuoteOuch!
T1 is not the wall I would want to get caught up with, no doubt.

I got sideways at the dip in the chicane (hair too much throttle while my rear shock was rebounding) and my rear tagged the wall.  The wall prolly saved me from lowsiding  8)
Broke my ribs and busted up my bike, but in reality, I came away from it w/ no complaints.  Could've been way worse  :)
Did I say I still won that race?;D (!) ;D  Too bad it was amatuer class though ::) :P

THAT ladies and gentlemen is how you "square off" a turn!  

Will ya show me how to do that sunday?? I figure if I can carry 10mph more into chicane and with more gas sooner I should be able to get into the 10's...   ;D
CCS GP/ASRA  #85
2010 Sponsors: Lithium Motorsports, Probst Brothers Racing, Suspension Solutions, Pirelli, SBS, Vortex

"It is incredible what a rider filled with irrational desire can accomplish"

roadracer67

o.K. here are my 2 stories,
1st bike a Honda VTR 250, some dumb@ss pulls a left in front of me and I don't clear his car when I hit. 10 feet of skid marks and a passenger door pushed atleast a foot inside hte car. Don't remember a thing of it. Woke up 9 hrs later in ICU asking where my bike was! Second one was a couple of months after getting settlement from above crash bought a CBR 600 F2, was following a couple of buddies to go riding in the mountains, full race suit, back protector, boots, helmet, gloves I was ready for anything. Well as we go into the first sweeper I am following and thinking how cool it is watching as these guys go blazing through the turn when all of a sudden I am heading of the road, hit the first dips where the boat trailer tires are always going and am launched over the handlebars at 65mph +. Totally destroyed new helmet, tore new leathers up in gravel and got to watch my perfect bike w/ no scratches destroy itself. Walked away w/ no broken bones, but bruised up pretty bad. Ambulance crew that showed up couldn't believe I was walking afterwards. Raced the same bike several months later w/ the southwest region. Still have it sitting in my garage as my track only bike....Oh the memories!

Tom Fredricks

Sunday, 10-09-05, Fondulac OHV park(moto-cross track)Screwed up landing a table top...3 ribs,bruised kidney and good old VICADAN ;D.Matches my left left side from april of this year ;)
T & J racing

Super Dave

No!  What's up with that?

Super Dave

CCSRacer114

QuoteNo!  What's up with that?

Dave,

Nothing to me beats...

"Pick a year..."  ;D

tigerblade

I've broken my scaphoid and calcaneous (heel) in a street crash and my scapula (shoulder blade) at a track school, but there's no question as to my worst...

9/19/04 Blackhawk Farms

Last round of the season, I've attended all Great Plains region races for the year so even though I'm slow (but improving), I've pretty much got the AM LWSS championship and am close on LWSB.  It's my second time at BHF (including the previous GP round there) and I'm feeling good.  My new girlfriend (now wife) and her son are there for their first race weekend.  I drove up with KC124 (WPC) and actually passed him in the GT Lights race  ;D so I felt like I was riding well.

In the LWSS race, I battled back and forth with a ring-ding-ding bike (damn 250s!) for a few laps.  He'd pass me here, I'd pass him there.  Finally got past him and pulled a little gap on the last lap, then caught a glimpse of the next rider ahead and thought "I'm gonna get that sumbItch this lap too!" Went flying around the righthander over the access road (forget turn #'s up there) but lo and behold there's a much slower rider just about ready to bend into the chicane before the last turn.  In the split second I had to react, it looked like he was really going to make it a turn, after I'd learned to kind of shoot straight through it before braking.  Thinking I'd put us both in the hospital if I tried making it, I just stood it up and went for the "grassy knoll" ride.  Things just got bumpier and bumpier then I got kicked up and off.  Really didn't tumble much, but came to rest on my back, kind of spread-eagle.  I was in the tall grass and the corner hadn't seen be go off, so no one was coming to the rescue for a while.  The wind was knocked out of me, so I just layed there for a second to take inventory.  Nothing really hurt, so I finally stood up so I could be seen.  Hmm... my back muscles all clenched.  I walked to the edge of the track and stood there with my hands on my knees, trying to fill my lungs with oxygen again.  My back was very stiff, but I thought if I just relaxed, it would be okay.  The cornerworkers got there and asked how I was.  Still thinking it was just a muscle problem, we even debated whether to go to the hospital when I was sitting in the ambulance at the track.  I'd wiggled my leathers off and sat in the ambulance for probably 10 minutes before we decided it would be best to get checked out.  Good thing I did...

Compressed T7 through T10 verterbrae, with 8 and 9 pretty much exploded.  Luckily the pieces exploded "out" instead of "in" toward my spinal column.  Two 14" titanium rods and 16 screws later, I'm doing fine.   8)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

tigerblade

P.S.  Support the Wegman Fund!!!   ;)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Super Dave

Yeah, Kris...good thing you went.  

I'm just lucky that I don't usually get hurt.  It happens...getting hurt.  I just seem to have strong bones.  Not 'cause I drink milk or anything.  I had a street bike accident before I started racing and they told me that I had strong bones.  Guess you can see, like, scratches or something on x-rays that indicates that.

Did break my hand in 1988 racing a 600 Katana at Grattan backwards.  Last lap, wanted to get one more guy, and I highsided going up the hill exiting three.  Broke my finger in 1996 at Daytona racing a CB400F during practice.  Was lucky that i wasn't carrying the Duke Video set up that we were carrying on the other bike.  Almost won the race later that day, but Chuck from Mr Barber's stable got me on the banking riding a $250,000 MV Agusta GP bike.  i got revenge in the open class when they threw a rod.
Super Dave

tshort

Guess I couldn't get enough of T1 at BFR.  Beautiful highside in the rain - brought my rear around so far it felt like I was pointed back up the straight.  Hooked up and spat me up and up and up...and then boom chakalaka.  The bike was chasin me, and at one point I thought it was going to find me, but it didn't.  No injuries - bounced good (I think they red-flagged the race, and I was in front at the time...)

T1 again, ran wide (target fixation) while staring at the dirt edge on the exit to make sure I didn't hit it. Which I did.  Jerked the bike back on the track hard, setting up a beautiful example of a tankslapper, which gave me a bird's eye view of my bike below me as I flew and landed flat on my face/chest.  Knocked the wind out of me so bad I couldn't breath - lay there gaping like a dang bluegill on the dock.  I raised my foot up and down so the corner workers at least knew I was alive - cuz other than that, I couldn't move.  Ambo ride, backboard, ibuprofen.  I was fine - but a bit sore next day.  Another good bounce - about five feet away from the first one (different days).

Very lucky.  
Tom
ThinkFast Racing
AFM #280 EX
ex-CCS #128

PJ

No kidding, Tom. You are lucky. Never seen a guy crash so much and so big and not get hurt.

So, are you officially retired?
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

jeremy271

My worst crash, Dano was correct, on the street about three years ago, (last time I really rode on the steet). We were riding back roads,  as you can see from kingpinracing.com footage, and it was getting cool out,  and I had been a fool and had a set of dunlop race tires on the street.  Came around a corner and the ass end sliped, I saved it but it was too late.  I alreadry made it to the point of no return on the shoulder,  fell into a three foot ditch- still up mind you- and the ass end came around again smacked a tree and the I preceded to go through the next five of them (TREES!!) with my rib cage. When dano was standing over me calling me Jeremy and not fatkid I knew it was pretty bad