News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Your worst crash?

Started by Speedballer347, October 10, 2005, 07:32:48 PM

grasshopper

My worse crash was on the street for sure! For some reason I bought this big heap of a turd motorcycle called a 1984 Honda VF1000F. The bike was pretty much mint when I bought it, made about 100hp, but weighed about 10,0000 pounds, and handled like absolute crap. I looked like a little dwarf riding the huge thing. Anyway, I was blasting down Michigan City Road one early morning in Calumet City south of Chicago after a night of partying heading home. I rolled the gas on, shifted out of second into 3rd and grabbed a huge handful of throttle in the on coming lane as I was passing a car. THIS IS WHEN IT GOT BAD! I hit a bump or buckle in the road weird and the bike started to tank slap. With my lack of experience I let out of the gas really hard. The big V4 didn't like that at all and the ass end jumped out to the left, then jumped to the right and to left again when it hooked up and sent me flying over the bars through the air. All was quiet now, as I was sailing through the air. The sound of a slight breeze, and all time was in slow motion. When I hit the ground I tumbled what seamed like 10 or 15 times. Lucky I was wearing my Shoe helmet because I hit my head about the same amount of times. As I enjoyed the Little stars floating around I noticed I was shot rite out of my shoes and missed a tree by about a foot. My shoes were gone and I was in no shape to find them. I could barely walk because my feet where so bruised and beat up. I was able to stumble for a while to hitch a ride back to my friends' house I just left, and we cleaned up the crash before the cops came. We found my shoes about 100 feet apart from each other and a yard sale of parts all over the woods. The big turd was destroyed. The worse part about the crash was I got poison oak all over my arms and upper body.

Gixxer124

I racked myself jumping my bicycle once. :P

gpstar1

so far ( knock on wood) T 17 at VIR. All I remember is the front end tucking and over the bars I went plowing face first into the ground. saw stars and very bad should pain for about a month.
Chris Kalb
EX Mid Atlantic 797 CCS / ASRA
LP Racing, Pirelli, Street & Comp,

OmniGLH

QuoteHmmm worst crash I'd have to say it was on the street for me.  I was doing a simple stand up wheelie.  My buddy was riding next to me for light (it was dark out).  It was a 4 lane road (2 north and 2 south)  we came up on two cars (this part has really nothing to do with the crash but the 2 off duty cops is just my luck) doing the same speed so I was feeling kinda sassy so I passed them on the shoulder while still in the wheelie. Got back into my lane and I used my turn signals.   So I go over the hill down the hill well the road comes up to a stop light which was about a ¼ mile away I figure I better set this wheelie down cuz we were coming up on traffic and whatnot.  So I set it down, well my r6 had a different idea, it really didn't want me on it anymore...lol  I bust into a tank slapper, which isn't really a big deal cuz my bikes have tank slappers all the time.  This is what I remember....."wow this thing is really slapping oh I got it, wow that was close" then the next thing I remember is waking up in the Ambulance.  I tank slapped so bad where my bike left skid marks (which looked like a car spun out) on the road.  Well I held on until the end, the bike pulled me down and pile drove my head into the ground at about 90mph or so.  I cracked my RX7RR4 and knocked me the f-k out... Thank god there was no curb or guard rail...I pitched it right at the edge of the shoulder and went tumbling thru the ditch (as did the bike)...the only road rash I had was on the top of my right hand cuz I was holding onto the clip ons so hard...lol.  (keep in mind I was fully geared up....lol I had my helmet on, shorts and a sweatshirt without gloves) but I had a severe concussion and tore tendons in my left had.  But other than that I was okay.  But I would not be here today if I didn't have my helmet on without a doubt!!  Well the cops that I passed actually keep us out of jail...lol you gotta ask Jeremy Bentz (aka fatkid or jeremy271).  Algonquin PD which were the first cops to show up, good thing we were  about 750 feet out of their jurisdiction, they wanted to hang us all ...lol  county showed up and from what I hear actually told the Algonquin popo to get lost it's not their jurisdiction.  The off duty cops in the car that I passed were pretty impressed not really from the wheelie but from me using my turn signal while still in the wheelie persuaded the county cops to not write anyone.  Plus I guess the arresting officer thought that I thrashed my bike bad enough which would cost me plenty..lol  But I do have to say the off duty cops and the arresting officers were very cool cuz they showed up later that night to the ER to make sure I was okay...
As the saying goes....crashing sucks!!!

Now we gotta get Jeremy (aka fatkid or jeremy271) to tell how to took out about 8 trees with his rib cage....lol

Heh... I had blood all over my face and glasses from when your hand smacked me in the face while you were lying in the ditch.  It took your brother and I a good 5 minutes to find your ass in the dark.  Had you flown another 5 feet you would've been under water!
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

OmniGLH

My worst was definitely in April of '03 at BHF.  Got to the track kinda late, and convinced the guy at track-out to let me out with the expert practice group (I was still an am at the time.)  Got a few good laps in, the tires warmed up a little, started to settle into a good pace.  Was proud of myself for passing as many experts as I did.  Pass a guy through T6, try to go deep into T7 in hopes I don't hold the guy up... and get a liittle wide - was within ~6 inches of the edge of the track.  Wasn't a problem - except the white plate I just passed in T6 tried passing me back, ran wide himself, and bumped me off the track just as I was about to get on the brakes.

This being the fastest part of the track, the outcome wasn't good.  140mph in the grass after 3 days of pouring rain meant I wasn't going to stop using the brakes.  Once I cleared all the "nice" grass, and made it out into the wilderness... I hit some sort of pothole.  The bike stopped - I kept going.  Came to lying flat on my back, cold, wet.  Wound up breaking my shoulder in a couple places, and didn't get back on a bike until the 4th of July weekend at MAM, just for practice.  Didn't actually RACE until the ROC that year.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

OmniGLH

My funniest crash was at RA in '04.  Ice cold out.  Spent the first half of the day putting my bike together (just had the motor done.)  After fighting with the typical fat-head-syndrome-plagued NESBA control rider, I got my bike tech'd and went out on the track.  Made it to T5.  5mph, creeping along due to traffic and temps... and I somehow manage to highside myself (??!!)  I stand up, pick up my bike, the corner workers grab it for me, and I walk over and hop in the ambulance to have the med shed folks check me out.  

Everything seems fine, the nurse tells me I can go, and to be nice, decides to walk with me back to my pits.  We get outside, and I realize I'm not quite sure where I am.  

Nurse:  Where are you pitted?
Me:      Hmmm.  I don't know.
Nurse:  You don't know where you're pitted?
Me:      Nope.
Nurse:  Who did you come here with?
Me:      Um, probably my friend Dan.  We always go to the races together.
Nurse:  Do you remember how you got here?
Nurse:  Okay.  Come back inside.  You're going to the hospital.
Me:      Ok.

Funniest feeling, not knowing where you are, and losing the last 5-6 hours of your life.  I checked out fine at the hospital, and it eventually all came back.  I smacked my head pretty good apparently - there was a nice chunk taken out of my helmet.
Jim "Porcelain" Ptak

Scott

30th birthday two years ago my buddy brings over his brand new (one week old) Aprillia Mille R Haga Replica (#76 of 200 ever built)

I made it one block before a HAND PAINTED CAMOUFLAGE PICKUP WITH A WOOD FRONT BUMPER decides to take me out.  

$7,000 in damage and it took 5 months to get all the required replacement parts from Italy.  

A lady standing at the intersection says to the cop's when they got there "that A-hole in the truck ran into that guy on the bike"  I was like, "yeah, thats what happened."  The guy in the truck was like "yeah, thats what happened!"

Stinger562

QuoteHighside in T5 during WERA 24-Hours of Willow in 2000. Closed head injury. Broken collarbone. 4 broken ribs. Punctured lung. First thing I remember is looking up at the roof of a moving ambulance strapped to a backboard.

EMT: "Do you know where you are? Do you know what day it is?"

Me: "Ah, no...um...at a racetrack? On a Sunday?"

EMT: "You're on the way to Antelope Valley Hospital. It's Saturday."

Me: "Where's Antelope Valley?"

EMT: "You were racing at Willow Springs."

Me: "But I live in Milwaukee. Did I move to California?"

Sadly, I had not moved to California. But I did live in the Antelope Valley ICU for 4 days...

I saw your helmet from that crash over the weekend.  Bet your wondering how I got in your office ;D

Big_Deezul

short vid of mine

seperated hip and shoulder, banged up pretty good

roadrashroeser

Mine was racing Wera last year for the first time. First weekend as an expert down at Jennings, first practice session on saturday brand new 04 R6 3rd lap around ,still don't know what really happened but was tossed like a booger at about 110 mph, as I hit the ground I remember thinking this really hurts. Tumbled through the grass and finally stopped, try to pick myself up no way thats happening, collapse on ground. At this point I can not breath feeling really crappy, ambulance shows up and does the whole deal of strapping me up and what not. Next we start off to the hospital in Georgia and half way there I am moaning and groaning and having major breathing problems, the EMT lady in back with me freaks out and makes the other EMT stop the ambulance and switch duties cause shes scared. Now I'm SCARED thinking these people don't know what the f*%k they are doing. Anyway made it to the hospital and ended up with a fully collapsed lung, shattered schalpula and 3 broken ribs. And one week in the worst hospital I have ever been admitted into.
Mike Roeser

DanO966

QuoteMy funniest crash was at RA in '04.  Ice cold out.  Spent the first half of the day putting my bike together (just had the motor done.)  After fighting with the typical fat-head-syndrome-plagued NESBA control rider, I got my bike tech'd and went out on the track.  Made it to T5.  5mph, creeping along due to traffic and temps... and I somehow manage to highside myself (??!!)  I stand up, pick up my bike, the corner workers grab it for me, and I walk over and hop in the ambulance to have the med shed folks check me out.  

Everything seems fine, the nurse tells me I can go, and to be nice, decides to walk with me back to my pits.  We get outside, and I realize I'm not quite sure where I am.  

Nurse:  Where are you pitted?
Me:      Hmmm.  I don't know.
Nurse:  You don't know where you're pitted?
Nurse:  Who did you come here with?
Me:      Um, probably my friend Dan.  We always go to the races together.
Nurse:  Do you remember how you got here?
Nurse:  Okay.  Come back inside.  You're going to the hospital.
Me:      Ok.

Funniest feeling, not knowing where you are, and losing the last 5-6 hours of your life.  I checked out fine at the hospital, and it eventually all came back.  I smacked my head pretty good apparently - there was a nice chunk taken out of my helmet.

That was funny...lol
when I came down into T5 area..and saw you and mike in the gravel trap...I was like what did these *meatheads* do....lol
I'm glad you turned out ok jim
DanO CCS/WERA/AMA/ASRA #966
Convergence Technologies/MD Racing
'12 Yamaha R6
'11 Yamaha R6

Scotty Ryan

Well, got two for ya... Start off with the motocross one first.. Just got my AMA Pro license and thought I was tough sh1t.I was down in Florida for three months training for the upcoming Supercross season and practicing on a sand supercross track riding a YZ 250, at the time I weighed about 135 pounds and really wasn't strong enough to control the bike the way I should. The faces of the jumps were all rutted and I was hauling a$$ toward a 80 foot triple. The ruts were so deep that I drug my footpegs on the face of the jump and in doing so slowed the bike enough so that I landed right on top of the third landing, I got thrown over the bars and landed on my chin with the rest of my body still coming over the top of my helmet. Long story short I ended up breaking my C-7 vertebra and having to drive my motorhome back from Florida wearing a neck brace which I had for about four months. The other was at BHF 2004 early morning first practice of the day on my SV coming down the back straight top of 5th gear I noticed a bunch of smoke in the last turn. I thought nothing of it and as I entered the kink I lost the front. So I lowsided the bike at a good clip and as soon as I hit the ground I started ragdoll thing, next thing I know I'm out in the weeds trying to walk to my bike. My left ankle was swelling in my boot and it was very sore, I tried to pick the bike up but couldn't do it, So I just sat on the bike while it was on it's side. I ended up breaking the ankle in three spots and severely crushing everything in my foot. The doctors thought I was going to lose my foot because of compartment syndrome, I kept the foot but I still have internal bleeding so it's all discolored and swollen more then a year after the crash. Maybe I'll get it looked at this winter, maybe. Oh I can't leave this one out, at the first Autobahn race this year I was on my mechanics Honda Hawk in the GTL race. I remember going through the half way flags and I was stoked because I just passed Brian Lacy and I had just caught Ed Key, (something I had never done before). Now I only know what Ed told me because I don't remember anything after the half way flags. I guess entering T4 there were some backmarkes in front of Ed and there was a waving yellow, the backmarkers got on the binders and Ed choped the throttle, I'm not sure if I was looking through the corner and didn't see what was going on or what but I plowed the back of Ed and I went flying. I remember coming to in the ambulance and trying to sign my release forms but I couldn't hold my hand steady so my Mother filled out the papers and I started walking back to where I thought we were pitted, But my Dad asked me where I was going and I had no Idea what track I was at. Luckley Ed didn't crash, and I ended up taping my broken ribs and racing the next day.  Plenty of more crash stories but I'll leave it at that.  ;D
"MMMM - Fork Oil For Breakfast"

61 or 61 X - Which will it be??