News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

prepping a buell xb12r or xb9r

Started by bentforks, June 30, 2005, 12:27:53 PM

PJ

QuotePJ

You're correct on the payouts. Just curious what "prompt" means. The info from Buell was that it took 6 to 8 weeks, they got my Vendor number to me quickly and I expect to see a check for our June 5th event within the next month. So is prompt within their time frame of 6 to 8 weeks? If so, not bad considering the communication that have to occur from CCS to Buell.

BTW- any suggestions regarding ride height on the XB9R? Just installed a Penske rear shock and reworking the forks.

Thanks again,

Hmm. Let's see. I just got my checks for the last two Blackhawks in May. So it would seem 6-8 weeks is about the turn around. More than I can say for some other contingency sponsors...

I'll PM you my ride height numbers. Don't have them handy right now.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Al_Soran

PJ

Thanks for the info and I'll be looking out for the ride height info.

L8brake731

Hey Ed:

If you are running the factory racing exhaust, you have to buy me some ear plugs! When FUSA was out with us last year, I remember talking to one of the Buell riders and they said the bikes were pushing 100 hp.

With all the Buell money going around, I am still thinking about running one. I know that there is a lot of local support around here.

You can also purchase some tear-offs for me when you start running in front of me ;D. I hate looking through an oily face shield.
S. Fukiage
CCS/ASRA  #731

Rhun

Since EBC, Ferodo and Vesrah pay contingencies and not Nissin.  Have any of you used these brakes on your Buell's? If so what modells? How would you compare them?
Able to beat most folks, unless their motor is running.

Al_Soran

Hey Steve-

I was looking for my dyno sheet from the run Ledesma did for me a few months back but can't find it. I think we were putting out 93 hp at the wheel and 70lbs torque, but I don't recall. The biggest problem I had in june was handling. We have since put on a Penske shock, and Kevin is reworking the front forks for me. I'll be doing a trackday on Aug 7th before the trip to Vegas, hopefully have it all sorted out. As for earplugs, I thiink there is a spare set in my tool box- and don't worry about tear-offs, it'll be awhile before I'm leading you, unless of course you guys are lapping me again! :'(  Besides- I haven't lost any oil since I've owned the bike (2 years and 5500 miles).

Rhun- my only expereince with pads have been the stock units and the Nissans at the recommendation of Henry Duga. I like the Nissans alot on this bike, but run and EBC rotor and pad set-up on my Kawasaki. You'll have to try them all for yourself and decide.

PJ

QuoteSince EBC, Ferodo and Vesrah pay contingencies and not Nissin.  Have any of you used these brakes on your Buell's? If so what modells? How would you compare them?

I've used EBC and Nissin on my XBs. I don't believe Vesrah makes pads for Buells yet. Ferodo, I dunno.

The EBCs are fine, but I can scorch a set in one weekend. The Nissin kit pads seem to last much longer and give, arguably, better initial bite. But, as you said, they don't offer contingency.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

Rhun

The nissin's from buell through my harley shop are about $110 EBC that I have seen are much less around $35 but I don't know the specif model.. As I am going to run in superstock my abuse factor should be lower than you thunderbike guys. Do you know which model, name or part number, that the EBC or the nissin's or any others were and if you used the stock XB rotor?
Able to beat most folks, unless their motor is running.

PJ

Stock rotor works fine. 3 seasons, including endurance racing, on mine and it still works great.

Sorry, I don't know the p/ns for the Nissin or the EBC pads. I've always heard the Nissins referred to as the race kit pads. EBCs were their top of the line race pad, whatever they call it, I don't know.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

Al_Soran

$110 seems a bit steep for the pads... I think I paid $70 or so for the set.
As for rotors, the stock one is fine, I've had no issues with it, and the braking action really isn't all the different from my Kawasaki in terms of overall feel.
Good luck getting the bike set up, I'm sure you'll enjoy racing it.

PJ- I got the numbers- thanks!  ;D

randyr

seriosly, u need backing.end of story. ive been racing buells for for the last few yrs. there are a few guys who know what there doin when it comes to building a competitive bike but ive been through 3 motors in 5 race weekends and these were all built by the supposed experts.no one guaruntees their motors. they're great handling and the torque is great but absolutely unreliable.  expect dissapointments and possibly missing quite a few race weekends. plan on at least 2 bikes or 1 bike and a $30,000 budget.  I hear ducati pays well also.....good luck

Baltobuell

Man, I don't know if that was called for. I raced a stock motor for a year with no problems in an old X1 when they were supposidly time bombs. When I got too big for my brithces and thought I needed more hp I learned that,  more hp = shorter engine life. You may be into top level racing, I don't know. But I don't care what you ride, if you're pumping  up a inline 4 to extremes it ain't gonna last. The thing with Buell is there are hundreds of guys with the "Hot set up" to get more hp. Every bonehead in the backyard knows how to mill a head stick in hot cams or install popup pistons. They are like hopping up a lawnmower. But very few know how to get the right combination for the right torque curve. My last engine had 110 hp but came on like a 2 stroke and I couldn't hardly ride it. FWIW stick to the stock cams and you'll have better lap times, better longevity, and money for tires. Blaming Buell for mistakingly letting the wrong guy setup your engine isn't right.

randyr

hey wise guy, would you call Hals, & Harding H-D the wrong guys?  when you become competitve, we'll talk