News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

prepping a buell xb12r or xb9r

Started by bentforks, June 30, 2005, 12:27:53 PM

PJ

Quotei was just wondering what needs to be done to be competive in fusa thunder bike
i already race an sv i just like the buell contingency plan
thaks

Competitive in CCS Thunderbike is one thing. A fairly stock XB12R is competitive out of the box.

F-USA Thunderbike is a whole other story. Define competitive. There are several top level riders with serious efforts in F-USA T-bike. Dave Estok, Bryan Bemisderfer, Dan Bilansky and others are tough to beat. How much do you want to spend? That said, the class is horsepower and weight restricted, so HP isn't everything.

I have run my mostly stock Supersport legal XB in the F-USA Thunderbike class for fun and finished in the top 10.

If you want a fast, reliable Buell, contact Hal's Speed Shop. They build great motors. 1-800-966-4443 or go to //www.halspa.com
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

pmoravek

The way I understand it...the contingency programs are really good for the Buells. If this is the case, would any of you guys be willing to give us some details?

PJ

In F-USA Thunderbike, Buell pays $8,000 per event, with payback to 15th place. Plus a $6,500 championship bonus paid back to 5th. F-USA also pays a $2,000 purse per event and a $5,500 championship bonus.

In CCS Thunderbike, Buell has paid every event, expert and amateur, every weekend (including all twin sprints) in all regions since April 20.

Expert payout is $400 for 1st; $300 for 2nd; $200 for 3rd; $150 for 4th and $100 for 5th.

I believe Amateur payout is $300 for 1st; $200 for 2nd; $100 for 3rd; $75 for 4th and $50 for 5th.

The payout is cash (check) and they are prompt.
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

pmoravek

Is this paid regardless of the number of competitors in the field?
 :o

Mark Bernard

QuoteIs this paid regardless of the number of competitors in the field?
 :o

Yes
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

PJ

No minimum number of riders per event and any year and model Buell is eligible.

http://www.buell.com/en_us/mania/racing/racingsupport.asp
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70

Al_Soran

PJ

You're correct on the payouts. Just curious what "prompt" means. The info from Buell was that it took 6 to 8 weeks, they got my Vendor number to me quickly and I expect to see a check for our June 5th event within the next month. So is prompt within their time frame of 6 to 8 weeks? If so, not bad considering the communication that have to occur from CCS to Buell.

BTW- any suggestions regarding ride height on the XB9R? Just installed a Penske rear shock and reworking the forks.

Thanks again,

thunderracing91

QuoteSeveral ways to prep the bike depending on how much you want to spend, your riding level/expectations, etc-

For me- stock 03 XB9R with factory racing exhaust and ecm, XB12R airbox cover, belly pan, Nissan front brake pads and Michelin slicks. I retained the stock belt drive for now and have just recently installed a Penske rear shock and will have the forks reworked in the next week or so. I weigh 205lbs, so in order to obtain the correct sag numbers we had to max out the preload front and rear. This still left the front a bit soft for my liking, so I'm doing the suspension upgrades. I do think that if you weigh 140 to 160 the stock suspension will do well for awhile, but I highly recommend upgrading the front brake pads.

You can order the Buell XB belly pan and Nissan brake pads from Buell racing manager Henry Duga.  

email him at: henry.duga@buell.com

or

call 262-642-2986 and have him paged.

The bike will be competitive in class with the typical SV. However, you'll note a bit of a disadvantage in gearing selection with the belt drive, requiring you to modify your riding style for the specific track.

As for previous post regarding fragging motors- I have over 5000 miles on mine with several trackdays and races with absolutely no problems with oil loss through leakage or burning.

What is the advantage of running the 12R airbox ???

Al_Soran

The 12R airbox cover is designed with a cone over the throttle body. This change seems to improve midrange power and responsiveness by modifying airflow into the throttle body. A pretty cheap mod ($32.00) all things considered.

Rhun

is the airbox change legal for ccs superstock LW?
Able to beat most folks, unless their motor is running.

Al_Soran

Rhun,

The airbox change isn't legal for superstock.
I run this bike in LW GP, LW Superbike, LW Formula 40 and Thunderbike.

ecumike

Quotewhat is needed to make these bikes competive and how much is the cost

thanks

The best way... sell it and buy a different bike.  :P :o :D

J.K.