News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Staring Problems

Started by gsxrsrad1000, February 14, 2005, 06:53:44 AM

gsxrsrad1000

Here is the deal.  My bike wont start so I am troubleshooting the problem.  I grabbed the wiring diagram of the ignition system off of my 01 Gsxr 1000 thinking that I could relate that and possibly cross rereference the ignition wires on my 03 Gsxr Race bike.  The Race bike is having the problem.  I know the starter and all fuses are good.  When I turn the ignition on, the servo opens the top flaps, with the engine run button in the Run position when I press the start button I get nothing, and I mean nothing.  I took the ignition apart to see about faulty wires and couldn't find anything.  I decided to hard wire the ignition since I had it out, but got the same results.  Here is the pic of the harness in question:  Now I know that the Red wire spilts into two wires for 12 volts, and I know the Orange wire with yellow tracer needs to be connected with one of those other wires, but what I am trying to figure out is what is the Brown wire with greenish looking circles about every inch for?  In addition, what is the thicker Orange wire for?  When I cross the Thick Orange with the Red, the servo opens on the flaps on the throttle bodies and the head lights come on, so I know that is the ignition on, so I am confused about what the other wires do?  Do they need to be hooked up so the bike will start?  Is there a wire that controls the signal to the starter or from the ECU to the starter if so does anyone know the color.  This is bugging me because it seems as though I have everything hooked up correctly, but the start button has no juice.  This is the pic of the engine start button, all solider looks good.   Any wiring diagrams for the 03 or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Super Dave

Star-ing problems?

You can't just eliminate the key switch on most Japanese bikes.  There's a resistor in there that, if you don't have it, it won't start.

Most other switches that you buy will vibrate apart during a race or practice leaving you not running.

Reason why you can't use the other stuff?
Super Dave

Thingy

Not sure if it is the same on an '03, but did you remove the wires that run to the left handlebar?  (Clutch engagement, high/low beam, etc.)

On the older models, these wires connected to a yellow plug on the right side of the bike under the ram air duct.  If you did, you need a small jumper wire to run in between two of the connectors on the yellow plug.  (Without it, the computer can't tell if the clutch is pulled in or not.)

If you removed it, I would bet this is your problem.  You need the jumper whether you hardwire the ignition, or not.

If you can't figure out where to put the jumper wire from the wiring diagram, let me know.  I can try to take a picture of mine.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

gsxrsrad1000

you got it Thingy, that's exactly what I did.  I thought it was the kick stand sensor, so I hard wired that but it still didn't start.  But what you said makes perfect sense, I forgot all about the clutch.  I do have the yellow harness.  I am not sure where to run the jumper wire though.  If you could take pics, I would greatly appreciate it.  I could go on ebay and purchase the handle bar controls, but I'd rather do away with as much as possible.  Thanks in advance for all your help, you have already brought insight to me, cause I was thinking to myself what else could it be.

gsxrsrad1000

QuoteStar-ing problems?

You can't just eliminate the key switch on most Japanese bikes.  There's a resistor in there that, if you don't have it, it won't start.

Most other switches that you buy will vibrate apart during a race or practice leaving you not running.

Reason why you can't use the other stuff?

You stand corrected because after going through my wiring diagrams, I crossed the black with white tracer with the black and yellow tracer, and walaaaaaaa the bike kicked over w/ no problem.

Super Dave

Good, you're almost there.

Kicked over, but did it start?  Got to have ignition.

You could get a nice SV650 for a good first race bike too.  You'll save lots and lots of money in the end.
Super Dave

Ridgeway

Right, if the resistance isn't there, the bike will turn over all day, but won't fire.

I know the SV is that way, so it's likely that the other Suzuki's are too.

If you have a multimeter and the original ignition switch, you can test for this.  There should be 100ohms of resistance on the smaller orange wire with the switch turned on.
CCS Midwest EX #18
07 GSX-R600
03 SV650s

gsxrsrad1000

I'll make note of that, I have no clue if the motor will run yet because I did not have any fuel going to it, nor does it have oil and coolant.  I just wanted to make sure I got the wires right for the ignition so I could just turn the motor over.  Getting it to run, well I'll know in a couple weeks :)