News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Safety Wiring

Started by jsanchez, February 04, 2005, 12:11:47 PM

jsanchez

Looking for suggestions on equipment for Safety Wiring.  

Currently looking at:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTELargeImageView?rfno=13244&storeId=6970

What gauge wire is used? etc...

But not sure if something like this will cut it or if there is something better and worth getting instead of the above.  Suggestions welcome.  Thanks!
-Javier

Thingy

Yeah, that's it.  Lockhart Phillips also has them.  Get the smaller of the two sizes.  It is easier to move around the bike, like when you are wiring the drain bolt under the bike.
-Bill Hitchcock
GP EX #13
Double Bravo Racing
'01 Ducati 748

Tuck your skirt in your panties and twist the throttle!

ducatiracer_#100

8) Try HARBOR FREIGHT AND TOOL, I got my safty wire pliers for $5.00 2yrs. ago it's the same tool for sale at race shops, catalogs.etc. for $20-30. Also I get the small wire (.021") at the local airport (Orlando Executive) for about $8 at any airplane service/supply store, thay also sell larger size (.032,.035,.040) but we dont need anything that big.  It's the same as the $30 spool in the catlogs/race shop, just make sure you get stainless steel wire( the best )  And LOTS!!!!! of 1/16" drill bits. I got lucky and drilled my whole bike with only 3 bits...

gsxrsrad1000

Lowes Or Home Depot = Dewalt Colbot 5/32 or 5/64 drill bits at least 5 = $20

Harbor freight = Saftey wire Pliers = $7.99 (9")

Harbor freight = Mini Drill Press = $39.99

Autozone = White Lithium Grease = $2.99

Bike shop = 1lbs .32 stainless saftey wire = $20

4 hours of time and patience = 24 successful Bolts drilled and ready to be wired

I know everyone has touched on this subject, but what I learned was keep the right speed and the right pressure and keep the bit well oiled and after you get through your first bit, you will get the hang of it and you'll be finsihed before you know it.  Good Luck!!