News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Leathers?

Started by Nate R, November 09, 2002, 12:34:46 PM

Nate R

Anyone have/had Texport Leathers? I bought a set of Texport Master Leathers used. (see classifieds)

They seem to be a WELL made suit. Hard Armor, Good stitching, double leather in seat, etc. I haven't seen this model for less than $900. I like 'em, and am confident they will work well.

Anyone had any? What did you think?

Nate
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

khanson

There's only one choice....Vanson's.  Those things are indestructable and last forever.  You'll spend more repairing others than to spend a couple of extra hundred for Vansons.

Kevin
Kevin Hanson<br /><br />www.SafetyFirstRacing.com<br />Safety First Racing<br />847.357.1309

schpreck

I agree.  My first suit ever was a Vanson, and that thing was VERY well built.  I used to fall off alot, but the Vansons held up better than anything else I've used since.  But, I got the JRockets for free, and I couldn't turn em down.  (They were "last year's model", but wtf do I care?!)

Super Dave

Vanson.  Period.  I crash 'em, they work.

I've got a couple of sets of rental suits left for sale.  I think you're in my neighborhood, if you're interested.

Honestly, I fully believe that most of the suits you can buy are cr@p.  The come apart at the seams, the leather is thin, plastic zippers, exposed thread, etc.  They will come apart as you wear them;  they will explode on the pavement.
Super Dave

TZDeSioux

Don't get AXO leathers unless you are a WSBK or MotoGP rider and you get them for free. They suck ass! All I did was a simple Kimchee Squat while smoking my cigarette and the crotch opened up. But then again it's probably due to my 100lb rice bag I carry around.  ;)

motomadness

I like SYED leathers (www.syedleathers.com).  They're inexpensive, yet very durable, and a lot of club racers have them and have crashed in them, so don't just take my opinion as gospel.  Usually at this time of the year SYED has a special where you can get a full custom set in either all black or all white for $699 with full protection (minus neck pad) and full ventillation, multi-colored and patterned styles are an incremental cost above the price I mentioned.  I crashed mine several times and have only torn the patches and logos.  The bulk of the leather still looks new, and I think I have done all kinds of crashes.  
- sideways slide
- flipped over the top
- chest slide
- in the rain
- in the dry

The fit can be rather tight at first, but it eventually fit me better the more I wore it

What ever you decide to buy, make sure you at least have the following items:
- good back protector
- a neck pad integrated into the leathers
- boots with plastic guards over the ankles
- gloves with knuckle protection

tbb10785

If you want a great suit that  lasts forever have Barnacle Bill make a custom suit for you.  

www.RacingLeather.com

FYI, he also repairs all brands of leathers including  suits for riders with Team Valvoline Suzuki.

Dawn

Has anyone noticed in Nate's original post that he purchased Texport leathers already?   ???

He is just looking for imput from current owners.

Dawn  :)

Nate R

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

tbb10785

QuoteHas anyone noticed in Nate's original post that he purchased Texport leathers already?   ???

He is just looking for imput from current owners.

Dawn  :)

Right, just giving my 2 cents on what has and is working or me.

I have a set of Texport leathers and can't recommend them.  I've had 8 or 9 crashes to date and the only time I've had any road rash or emergency room trips is when I had on the Texport leathers.  This occurred at CMP in June of 2000 in turn 12 which is fairly slow.  Damn, my elbow still hurts from that one.  FYI, the leather wore through at the elbow but this was compounded be the fact the suit was too big in the arms.  The perforated leather (inner arm) pulled around when I hit the pavement and instead of having two layers of leather between my elbow and the pavement I only had the single layer of perforated leather.  

Oh, did I mention that Barnacle Bill's suits come with 2 layers of leather any place the leather is perforated!  

spyderchick

QuoteFYI, the leather wore through at the elbow but this was compounded be the fact the suit was too big in the arms.
Which is why my mantra is to get a properly fitted suit.
'nuff said

Alexa
Spyder Leatherworks
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".