News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Trailer construction

Started by cardzilla, January 11, 2005, 01:11:12 PM

cardzilla

Ok, I have been blown out of the water looking for a trailer in the $800 range.  These things are EXPENSIVE !  I have given up hope on finding anything bigger than luggage on wheels for $800.

I have turned my attention to constructing a trailer, but I'm not sure if I want to do it from scratch.  Does anyone know of a place (or website) that sells good enclosed trailer plans?  I want to build something in the 14 X 8 range.

Without purchased plans I was going to a) buy the axle b) have the frame welded up out of angle iron c) make the floor wood supported fiberglass d) use aluminum support under fiberglass for the shell.  Rough figures put it at about $575, depending on the axle and tires.

Has anyone else had experience doing this?  I have an engineering background and work in composites all the time, but if it is more trouble than it is worth I'd rather not start.

Thanks in advance for any opinions
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike

Jeff

You may do better trying to convert an old truck rear end...

An 8x14 used, will cost you double your budget easily...  And if it doesn't, you don't want to put a bike in it...

I would also say that this is something not worth my personal time.  I can't imagine really who would have the time to do this and make it worth while.  I think in the end you'll spend more than you think, it'll take you longer than you think, and it will be problematic (too much weight, not strong enough, etc etc etc).  
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

Super Dave

8x14...tandem axle?  How much you gonna carry?  

At 3500# GVWR, you're gonna need a brake axle.  Torsion axles are easy and good.  Electric brakes are the best.

The coupler up front...they are designed to have the "A Frame" portion of the trailer set in a V at about 50 degrees.

There are seldom any "standard" things.  Axles can be made with the centers of the spring perches or mounts at about any distance.  Regular axles with springs will make the trailer tall.  Torsion axles can be had with the center of the hub above the mounting point of the axle.  Keeps the floor point low.

Angle iron vs square tubing...Tubing is better.
Super Dave

laohu69

www.etrailer.com

Plans and parts. I'm going to build one myself but since I can get the steel from leftovers at work and I will weld it myself the cost will be negligible except for the axles. I'm going to do a small (7 x 10 or 12) open trailer first (single axle) and if it isn't more work than I plan on I'll sell it to finance a larger enclosed one. You can Google "trailer parts" , "trailer axles" or "trailer plans" and come up with a bunch of sites.  :)

spyderchick

Something to think about when you're crunching numbers is tongue weight. You should have a finished trailer that's nice and balanced with a light tongue weight. Don't ask me to do the formulae, because I'm not a mathmetician or engineer.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Woofentino Pugrossi

as with what Dave said, over certain weight you need electric brakes.

Also you have to figure in if your state requires a title, whats their procedure for titling them. Some states require tags on all trailers, some on trailers over 3000.

You might just be better off buying one already made and spending the $$. Would save alot of aggrevation.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

QuoteSomething to think about when you're crunching numbers is tongue weight. You should have a finished trailer that's nice and balanced with a light tongue weight. Don't ask me to do the formulae, because I'm not a mathmetician or engineer.

10% of the GVWR should be on the tongue.  If you're gonna make a trailer that weighs 1200#, 120# should be on the tongue.  If it's loaded up with stuff to total 5000#, you'll need 500# on the tongue.
Super Dave

cardzilla

All good suggestions, but as usual I have a list of things to do a mile long before Daytona.  Time budgeting is important so I'm going to shelve the idea until next year and bum my buddies trailer (open) for the year.  If anyone actually finishes, I'd love to see the final product.
Larry Dodson
CCS # 22
2004 Yamaha R1 Superbike