News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Truck tires

Started by Bernie, December 27, 2004, 07:14:29 PM

Bernie

Anybody got anything good or bad to say about truck tires you have used before?  I've got a Chevy 2500HD diesel 4x4 and I'm close to needing new tires.  I don't do alot of off-roading, but drive on the beach in the summer and the snow in the winter.  I haul light loads and my single axel trailer is fairly light.

So, any recommedations for or against any brands you've used?

Thanks!

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteAvoid at all costs:  FIRESTONE

Link below speaks for itself.  

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.findarticles.com%2Fm3012%2F10_180%2F66218714%2Fp1%2Farticle.jhtml

Funny how low air pressure can cause a tire to disintigrate. My brother had those tires on his explorer. He never ran them below 35psi (where they are SUPPOSED to be) and not the ford recommended 26psi (which was for ride quality).  ::) Funny how Rangers also had the same exact tire and never had that problem.

Dont get Pirelli's. I had a Z-rated one explode at 80mph on my Shelby after the carcass separated. That WAS a defective tire. Too bad Pirelli felt the destroyed rim was my problem though.

Bernie, a nice all-terrain tire would be a good choice.
I had Firestone ATX's on my Sonoma 4X4 and got through mud and snow rather easily. BF Goodrich All Terrains are very good also.

DO you have the 245/75R16's? May want to go with 265/70R16's for all terrain tires. When you go into the sand, drop the pressure 10psi (make sure to fill them back for street). Wish I had pics of my truck after mudding. Went from bright teal green to med brown. ;D 2" of mud covering it really ticked a local car wash off. ;D 2am washings. ;D
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

K3 Chris Onwiler

Firestone was a team sponsor of the Chi-Town Hustlers.  My teammate Dave had a Ford SUV with the "Bad" Firestones on it.  Just about the time they were bald and we needed to get to Daytona somehow, he got them replaced for free!  Then I think Firestone recalled them again and he got another set!
At any rate, our team owes two years of traveling around the country and a bunch of championships to the Firestone recalls.
 ;D
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

K3 Chris Onwiler

Personally, I've had great luck with BF Goodrich truck tires.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

VryBusy

On my F250 I run BF Goodrich All Terrain tires. I've run Firestone, Goodyears, Mastercraft and some other in the past.  The Goodrich tires are Awesome tires in every aspect.  You may pay a little more than some of the others, but in this case I believe you get what you pay for - good luck!

hooter31

i have had bridgestones and have never had a problem...to me they are the best

njracer1

I just put on Bridgestone Revo AT's on my Tahoe and so far so good.

Got a great deal at www.tirerack.com

Ordered them on a Monday and they were at my door on Tuesday.

nj

Super Dave

I used to know a guy that worked at a tire store, and we used to put on these tires called Hercules tires on my vans.  Worked great.

The bus has Michelin's on it now.  I'm using a 235/85R16 with a load range E set up.  I put the taller tire (225/75) on it to make my overall gear ratio taller.  

Anyway, each tire has it's good points and bad.  Some have better traction, some are quieter.  I've had very, very, very good luck with Michelin car and truck tires.  They DO cost more.  But the service life that I've gotten from them has been better than other tires.
Super Dave

Decreasing_Dave

You may want to consider Nitto Tires.  They make an all-terrain called the "TerraGrappler".  These are my next tire (2003 F-250 Superduty Diesel).  

Also, Procomp has some tires out that have the "sever duty rating" and guaranteed for 50,000 miles.  They are their "All terrains".  Not as aggressive looking as the Nitto's but with that warrantee......

Good luck on your search,
Dave

B-MAC

Hey Bernie, I just put BFG All-Terrains on my F-250 and love them. If you need a good hook-up on some tread...let me know.

B-mac

H-man

Oy!

I had Goodyear Wranglers on my F-150 4x4 supercab (P235/70/16).  Like you, I occasionally go off-road turkey and duck hunting & scouting.  But that probably amounted to a combination of 3 weeks.

So, most of the time I had a rougher and noiser ride than need be due to that aggressive tread pattern on the Wrangler.

I'm now on Kelly tires.  Safari or Navigator - I forget which right now.  The ride is much quieter.  I haven't been back on the 2-tracks yet, but I've been having no difficulty with thme in the snow.

However, it seems the trade-off for the less expensive Kelly is that it is a much heavier tire.  The heavier tyre may adversely affect mileage  ???

H.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill