News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Adoption

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, December 19, 2004, 07:10:59 AM

K3 Chris Onwiler

Such a beautiful little girl.  All I wanted to do was comfort her, yet I sensed that she was cringing beneath my gentle touch.  She was crippled, her legs bent grotesquly beneath her.  Bits of dirt and grass clung to the shredded remains of her clothing.  The scars of her abuser were plain to see, and they sickened me.  What kind of @$$hole would do something like this to a two-year-old?
I gladly paid the money that would get her released into my custody.  Patiently mindful of her injured legs, I walked the little girl out to my truck.  Lowering the trailer door, I smiled.  As I pushed her inside, I could sense that she was taking it all in.  Rain tires!  Leather suits!  Helmets!  Boxes of spare parts!  I lovingly patted her mangled gas tank.  Do you like this Honey?" I asked.  "It's all for you.  The trailer, the parts, the riding gear.... All for you!  I'm going to take you home now, to a big garage with lots of tools and neat pictures on the walls.  I'll fix you up and give you all the best parts.  No drunken loser is ever going to hurt you again.  You're going to be a racer!"
I knew she couldn't believe me.  Knew she couldn't trust me.  Not yet.  The girl has been badly scarred emotionally by her abuser.  When I got her home, I immediately made her a new key so she could run at will.  Bit by bit, I'll help her to heal, and try to earn her trust.  The little beauty has stolen my heart.  Nothing will be too good for her.  I'll take her to all the best places, too.  Road America, Autobahn, Mid Ohio, Blackhawk....
Life is funny.  Sometimes, you have to go through bad times to get to the good times.  This little sweetie has been horribly mistreated, but I'm her Daddy now.  I only hope that I can help her to put her scarred past behind her and grow to achieve her true potential.
It's the least I can do.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

EX#996

I WILL not post what Paul just said....

... but knowing Paul as you do, I'm sure you can imagine.

:D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Mark Bernard

Chris... you have WAY too much time on your hands! LOL!
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

smoke

:o  man after reading the first section I thought you had a real lil kid.  I was like why the hell is he putting the girl in the trailor?  DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH   ya got me

dylanfan53

;D
Welcome to the neighborhood.  Should be an interesting year in LT.

Don Cook
CCS #53

Super Dave

Super Dave

H-man

QuoteNo drunken loser is ever going to hurt you again.  You're going to be a racer!"

I'm not sure why, but this part caused me to burst out with loud laughter.

Is it an SV?  Tell us the details you lucky Dad.  What displacement, what year, what colours are you gonna give 'er.   The usual stuff.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

EX#996

Quotewhat colours are you gonna give 'er.   The usual stuff.

Well, since the black didn't work out for him so well, and now that he has an SV....  It will be red of course.

;D
Paul and Dawn Buxton

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteWell, since the black didn't work out for him so well, and now that he has an SV....  It will be red of course.

;D
Eight championships and a fifth at Daytona later, I think HUSTLER BLACK has worked out fairly well for me....  Might do the wheels orange as a nod to my endurance team, NFC Racing.

Yes H, it's a salvage 2003 SV650.  Much to Paul Buxton's and Edgar Dorn's relief, it will probably stay a 650 for a good long while. ;)  I've been watching like a hawk to get one in my price range, and when this one popped up in Ohio, I was on the phone within hours of it's post time.  That night, I withdrew the money from my credit union, and went to get her the next day.
I don't know if I believe in omens, but there were a few that day.  I just fell out of bed around 2:30 AM, too excited to sleep.  The bike was 350 miles away in Ohio, so I figured I might as well get going.  I showered, Checked the CCS board, grabbed a quick bite to eat, and hit the road.  As I passed the digital bank clock a few blocks from home, it read 3:33 AM!  (MY COMPETITION NUMBER!)  On my way back, less than 30 minutes from home and just short of the Illinois border, I got pulled over by an Indiana State Trooper for 73 in a 55.  Wonder of wonders, he wrote me a warning ticket!  Citation time?  3:33 PM!  It was like I was in the Twilight Zone or something!
What am I going to do with this bike?  Well, I'm writing a book aimed at Track Day and Roadracing beginners.  This bike will be a big feature of the book as I do a buildup on it in words and pictures.  I've already discovered that it may be a very good thing nobody wanted my old SRAD.  It's magnificent, fully prepared and freshly serviced front end will just BOLT RIGHT ON in place of the twisted forks and triple on the SV, and the Ohlins shock will fit with nothing more than a clevis and spring change.  There's an instant savings of $1000 or more!
I figure that for this season, the front end and shock swap, a pipe, and some bodywork are all I'll be able to afford.  That's OK though.  I'll be riding the class that all my friends seem to be gravitating into, and riding a bike that doesn't murder a set of tires every eight laps.  I'll take this year to dial in the bike's handling, and then maybe build a thumper motor for her next winter.  (Now if Ed Key will just friggin' retire....)  At any rate, I think I've finally found a bike that I can be happy with.  I LOVED my Gixxer, but oh, GOD!  The tire bill!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

CCSRacer114

Chris,

Just wait until you have four kids!  Talk about tire bills!

You'd think they'd eat less because they're running less, but Nooooo!

They each want new tires because the other one got new tires. And they each have their own special flavor tire, and they won't share with their siblings. Talk about sibling jealousy!

So, now my tire guy loves me more now that I'm "using less tires" than when I "used more tires".   ???

For the record:
GSX-R600
SV-650
ZX-6R (teammates bike)
CBR-600R (teammates bike)

and someone wants to run an R1 next year, too! >:(

H-man

QuoteI'm writing a book aimed at Track Day and Roadracing beginners.

Let me know if you'd like me to contribute a piece about the dangers of the starting grid  :-[ ;D

Hmmm... Think I'll consider an SV too.
Black Ops Racing
WERA/Fasttrax #42 (N)

"Life has a certain flavor for those who have fought and risked all that the sheltered and protected can never experience."  - John Stuart Mill

K3 Chris Onwiler

I'll let you try mine at one of the track days, H.  That's usually all it takes!