video guru's.. need help

Started by cornercamping, December 04, 2004, 02:22:51 PM

cornercamping

Alright.  I got a new DVD burner.  So... I hooked it up to the TV via HDMI cable.  So, I go into the DVD set up menu, and select video mode as Progressive Scan.  My other choice is interlaced.   So, I put a widescreen version DVD in and the picture is still 4:3.   I have a widescreen High Def. tv though.  So, if I switch the video mode from the DVD player as an interlaced format, it shows it in widescreen mode.  Doesn't make sense though because the TV has both progressive and interlaced capability for signals.   So why's the TV switching to 4:3 format when I use the progressive scan setting, but when I switch it to interlaced, the TV shows full 1080i interlaced?   WTF  ???  

Why does the progressive or interlaced output from the DVD player make a difference on the screen format?  Either way it should display  16:9 widescreen.   Am I missing something?

TV is a high def 16:9  LCD and it does "signal sensing" where it see's the format signal (4:3 or 16:9 ratio's) and adjusts itself, and also is able to display 480i, 480p, 720i, and 1080i formats.  I do also have Comcast HD, and that works fine.  It's only with DVD's.

???

ecumike

Why are you asking this on a racing forum? Sounds like the problem is the user.

cornercamping

Because this racing forum is full of people in different industries.  Some engineers, some salesman, ect.  Figured someone would know.  The BBS is a knowledge base :)

Last I heard, nobody in here races as a day job  ::)