News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Lunch break- reduce to 30 minutes

Started by rotoboge, November 18, 2004, 03:15:50 PM

rotoboge

Who out there would like to see the customary 45 minute lunch break reduced to a maximum 30 minutes? Too often it takes 60+ minutes to get the racing going again, which leads to rider "let down".

Dawn

MZGirl

Not sure how that would work.  It takes some time to get the cornerworkers rounded up and in, get them their lunch & enough time for them to eat (restroom break too), then get them back out to the corners again.  Not to mention all the other officials and race staff.

Mostly I use the lunch time to take a nap in the RV.   ;D

K3 Chris Onwiler

Of course then when you crash, the corner workers may be too busy eating to pick you up...
I'm thinking that you really might benefit from spending a weekend as a corner worker.  You have no idea how hard a job it is.  I've done plenty of both.  Being a racer is easier.  By the way, I've seen them give up their lunch break so we could get all the races in after a bad situation or five have eaten up a bunch of time.  The workers are a dedicated bunch.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

Burt Munro

You might have a tough time selling this one.....

Depending on the track, it can take 10 minutes each way to get Corner Workers off/on the track to a lunch area.  Not to mention the amount of time it takes to get a large group like that fed.  

That's not to say that because of racing/crash delays and in an attempt to get back on schedule, Corners Workers arn't sometimes asked to stay at their corners and lunch is delivered to them.  With exceptionally cold, hot or rainy weather this is sometimes received as warmly as a speeding ticket from Sheriff Buford T. Justice, Sr. !
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteYou might have a tough time selling this one.....

Depending on the track, it can take 10 minutes each way to get Corner Workers off/on the track to a lunch area.  Not to mention the amount of time it takes to get a large group like that fed.  

That's not to say that because of racing/crash delays and in an attempt to get back on schedule, Corners Workers arn't sometimes asked to stay at their corners and lunch is delivered to them.  With exceptionally cold, hot or rainy weather this is sometimes received as warmly as a speeding ticket from Deputy Merle T. Justice!

No kidding. I've been through days cornerworking where we have a small group relieve a corner so they can get lunch while races still are going. Lunches should stay 1 hr long. We do need time to relax a bit from cornerworking.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

rotoboge

If the lunches are to stay 60 minutes, what about starting the races either earlier, or ON TIME. I have not had a race day start on time this season, thus, making the whole day off schedule...

By the way, the corner workers could take a brownbag lunch to the corners, thus eliminating the time issues of getting them lunch.

EX#996

QuoteBy the way, the corner workers could take a brownbag lunch to the corners, thus eliminating the time issues of getting them lunch.

My God I hope that was a joke.....

Do I corner work?  No, but I am aware of the job that they do and thankful when ever they pick up Paul's sorry behind off the track.  - - Brown bag lunch... Please!  Providing lunch to them is the least we can do! - -

You REALLY need to sit with a corner worker for even just one day.  It will open your eyes.

BTW - after the race day is through, be sure you walk up to one of them and say:  THANK YOU!

Dawn  
Paul and Dawn Buxton

Burt Munro

Anybody else out there that feels like I do that as part of race license process, new racers should be required to spend 1 day as a Corner Worker?

Could be a valuable experience for both racers and Corner Workers!

I think I already know the answer that Kim, Rob, K3 and Paul would give ;D
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

spyderchick

I've had the opinion that racers ought to do at least one weekend of cornerworking to get a license. I've worked corners for club stuff, California Superbike School and AMA. They are all different animals and they are all hard work and long days.

Here's how I see it as a racer: There is no schedule, just a suggestion of one. You don't know whether the day will have beautiful weather and no significant crashes, or if there's going to be a different delay in every race.

The people on the front lines are the corner workers. They are your best friend when they are working hard. Yeah, they really enjoy cleaning up oil in that 90 degree heat almost as much as you like sitting there waiting for them to clean it up.

It makes their day to see their buddies crash hard enough in their corner to stop their heart for a moment.

Shorten lunch?  Yeah, right. Let's stop the earth from rotating, that makes about as much sense.

(I'll step off the soapbox now, so K3 can have it)  :o ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

K3 Chris Onwiler

QuoteThe people on the front lines are the corner workers.
Where have I seen that line before? ::)
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

jewett

Anybody else out there that feels like I do that as part of race license process, new racers should be required to spend 1 day as a Corner Worker?

Could be a valuable experience for both racers and Corner Workers!

As the new riders instructor for the SW region, I too think that working a conner on Sunday should be part of it. I have worked conners, And yeah it sucks standing out there when its 110 degrees with no shade. But with out them we don't race.