News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

LPUSA Safety Wire Washers legal?

Started by ecumike, January 27, 2002, 03:14:29 PM

ecumike

Can we use the LPUSA Safety Wire Washers, instead of drilling some of the bolts?  Will that 'pass' tech inspection for a race?

Eric Kelcher

Considering what parts have to be safety wired oil drain/fill/filter I doubt you are going to be able to find the washers to do that. Anything else that makes YOU feel more comfortable knowing it is wired than it goes beyond the requirements and I can't see how they would complain as long as it is done in a safe and professional amnner and these washers I think fit that requirement.
Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

ecumike

Yea,

Oil drain, I'm drilling
Oil filter, don't have one
Oil filler, I'm drilling

but what about all these other bolts and things.. maybe I'm missing something here.  I  had to look in the WERA Rules the past week or 2, b/c CCS weren't up yet, (I see they are now).. . Now I know it was WERA rules, but it seemd like there was a bunch more stuff to wire than just the basic 3 above....  Do they have more requirements than CCS as far as safety-wired parts?

I just want to make sure I meet all my (safety wire) requirements before I goto tech and they laugh at me for trying to pass.

Charles_Brothers

If memory serves, I believe those tabbed washers were approved, although not too many people use them.

Ex_CCS_Racer

I'd use the tabbed washers to mount the wire to but not on the actual bolt to be wired. For example, if I was going to wire a drain plug and didn't have a tab to pull it to I'd use a tab washer on, say, a oil pan bolt.