News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Trying Again:--- SV Gearing at BHF and RA?

Started by Nate R, October 25, 2002, 12:57:34 PM

Nate R

So, should to get a 14 tooth front sprocket for BHF? (I have a 44 tooth rear.)  Will I be hitting the limiter at BHF if I ever get kinda fastish? (For an AM)

And is Road America OK with the stock 15/44 gearing, or is the 14 better there, too?  
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

dave333

I ran one tooth down in front at Road America and didn't redline it before the end of the straight.  I think that would probably be pretty good gearing for RA.

I wanted more quickness at BHF running the same setup.  If I was still running an SV I would go one down in front and two up in back at BHF and try that.  Maybe change that to 1 up in back if I hit the rev limiter before getting on the brakes for T1.

I am a slower amateur, but not the slowest... :D

Nate R

Dave, Thanx!

I'll get a 14 tooth, then. It's a cheap way to gain a bit of speed :)

As far as the rear sprockets, I'll mess with those MUCH later when I have some speed.

nate
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

dave333

Remember, when you gear down like that you have a lower top speed.  It will be quicker/faster off the line and out of the corners, but you won't hit the bike's theoretical top speed gearing down...

dave333

In one sentence, I was told that you want to gear so you are hitting or nearly hitting the rev limiter at the end of the front straight in top gear.  

That is all...   ;D

Nate R

QuoteIn one sentence, I was told that you want to gear so you are hitting or nearly hitting the rev limiter at the end of the front straight in top gear.

I know  ;)

I was just trying to get in the ballpark before I take my SV to the MW CCS races for the first time next year. In my first season, I want the limiting factor to be me. If I have confidence in my tires, and confidence in the bike, I can't "blame" anything but myself for being slow. I'll know that my skill is what's limiting my lap times, not my confidence in tires, or my gearing, the lack of power on my SV, etc.

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com

dave333

Well, then good luck next year!  I feel the same way about my equipment.  Set it up right, buy good stuff and don't worry about it.  After that, I'm the only limiting factor on the track...

Nate R

Thanx, I might need that luck :)

Hopefully I won't be too slow :)

I'm doing the Friday Track Day in April before the first BHF weekend. Then, I'll be able to get up to speed with Blackhawk and up to speed with my SV BEFORE I start racing that weekend.

I'm doing a LOT of prep now, so I don't have to be all stressed out my first weekend. It'll be hard enough learning the proper lines, braking points, etc at BHF. And, while doing all that, I'll eventually be trying to go faster.

But, I think that the Friday will get my head clear, and  give me a good idea of how to run BHF on the SV.

Nate
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com