News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Did you tell them you race before they hired you?

Started by OmniGLH, August 05, 2004, 10:17:19 AM

Protein Filled

QuoteOh, one final gripe.  I don't even have a trophy from this year!  It's like I don't even exist any more.

oooh so many thoughts come to mind here... but i'll be nice and keep quiet. Don't want to kick a brother when he is down, you know.

Regarding my job and racing, they know I race and don't really care (well, I would say that as long as I don't get hurt). They have seen me come in worse shape when I go dirt riding and crash than after any roadrace weekend, so they figure it can't be too bad. They know when I leave and where I am going, the only thing they ask is that I keep a phone and a laptop with me just in case of emergency. If I went looking for a new job, I don't think I would tell them unless they asked. I may mention that I would need an occasional Friday off, but not necessarily the reason why, unless they asked. I wouldn't lie about it though since it could come back and nip you in the butt.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

spyderchick

A thought comes to mind,
The person who doesn't even race who gets all sorts of crap for taking off of work is Cindy Singer, our much loved and aweswome Starter.

She's in the nursing feild, with too many years of experience, and she won't take a job unless they understand how important it is for her to be there for every race event. They still give her a hard time.

Props to those who don't race and support the sport by using their vacation time to make it all happen, from crew to corner workers.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Jeff

wow.  I didn't realize how fortunate I was to be able to hand my race schedule to each of my last 3 employers and let them know what days I'd need.

Right now, before every weekend, I send out a reminder to 100+ people in the company letting them know where the race is, and I encourage them to come out.

Then by Tues/Wed, I distribute the race report for the weekend, including giving kudos to those colleagues who come out to watch or help.

Once people have SEEN it, they can better relate and understand the risks.  I've only once been pestered by a negative person, and I offered transportation, gate fees, food & entertainment for the weekend if he would come.  He declined and never bothered me again.

Another thing I've done is buy 2 copies of faster which are currently both floating around the office somewhere here...  

Knowledge is power.  
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

tigerblade

QuoteOnce people have SEEN it, they can better relate and understand the risks.  

That's VERY true.  

I moved to a different dept earlier this year, so not everyone around me knows about the racing.  Some of the reactions are priceless...
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Nate R

Wow. To think that a company would treat and employee like this about an activity they do on their own time.  >:(   (GSXR RACER MIKE)

Employees ARE people. They have hobbies.

I just can't understand that. If I were an employer, I would think that it would be a plus if my employees had a hobby or passion that they really enjoyed. I dunno, I guess I see it as a more well-rounded person. Seen too many people with no lives outside of their jobs.

That's just frustrating to me. Maybe I understand this better than most because I've been on the employee's side as a racer? Dunno. Either way, when I start employing people, (I already am through contract labor) I certainly wouldnt be that way.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Lowe119

I would expect this out of the military - the whole "you're government property" thing. Oh wait - I AM in the military.  :D Of course, it's Guards and not active duty. But they don't care. At least they haven't said anything and I make it clear that I do it.

They won't let me ride a motorcycle on the street without taking the safety class and wearing a helmet, jacket, and gloves...  So I can't ride on the road when I'm on orders because I haven't taken that safety class. I wonder if they would accept Super Daves school???  ;D ;D

spyderchick

Yup, Rhiannon's in the military, as we all know, and when she got activated in 2003 they let her finish Daytona before she had to come home. Again, 128th Air Nat'l Guard refueling unit, but it was very cool of them. I think many folks in the military do "dangerous" hobbies. He11, they have a dangerous job description at work most times.
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

tigerblade

Did you guys see the article in Motorcyclist about the head honcho of the Blue Angels?  There used to be a ban on motorcycles for the group but he got rid of the rule.   8)
Younger Oil Racing

The man with the $200K spine...

Spooner

QuoteYou'll have to ask Richard. ::) (ask me about it sometime) ;)

Are you guys talking about the bicycles and Richard Schwinn??  I used to work at a bike shop that sold a number of them..

-Nick
CCS Expert #172
'04 R6

spyderchick

QuoteAre you guys talking about the bicycles and Richard Schwinn??  I used to work at a bike shop that sold a number of them..

-Nick
Richard who? ???
Yup, THAT Richard. Waterford Precision Cycles. Best paint finishes in the business. (I'm not biased or anything) ;D Pretty nice bikes too.  :P
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

spyderchick

LOL Auto censor strikes again! Spo oner turns into Spooner with the auto censor!  ::) :P ;D
Mustn't have any P00 on here!
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.redflagfund.org

the_weggie_man

I don't race anymore but take most of my vacation for race weekends and the Wegman Fund activities.

About ten years after my two year active duty stint with the Army my brother talked me into joining his reserve unit. This also happened to be the same year I started racing with WERA ('82) All was well until the second year when nearly every reserve drill weekend coincided with a race weekend. I made up a phony excuse about an employment hardship ( I had to work those weekends) and they gave me a discharge. They never even checked out the job.  ;D

Yep, I blew off the reserves and a cushy retirement check for a few years of racing.   ;D