News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Did you tell them you race before they hired you?

Started by OmniGLH, August 05, 2004, 10:17:19 AM

dylanfan53

QuoteAre you referring to someone we know..... ;)

Let's see...actually, no, but you know more people at the track than I do.  :)
Don Cook
CCS #53

Dawn

QuoteLet's see...actually, no, but you know more people at the track than I do.  :)

;D

We'll see if he'll chime in....

;)

Protein Filled

Quote;D

We'll see if he'll chime in....

;)

Yeah, where is K3?

;D ;D
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

KBOlsen

I discovered my susceptibility to adrenaline addiction about a year after starting my current job.  

In my cubicle, nestled among the pictures of my family and pets, I've got 3 racing-related plaques,  track maps, some die-cast models, photos and (of course) Jack's calendar.  

I was rather apprehensive the day I had to call my boss after getting my shoulder x-rayed to tell her WHY I was calling in sick for Monday - but she and all of my coworkers think that what I do is "neat".  

It's not information that I would volunteer in the course of a job interview... and it's questionable to me if probing an applicant's personal interests is even appropriate from an HR perspective.  Somewhere in there is a line that should not be crossed.  
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

bweber

I think many companies are self insured.  It is often cheaper in the long run.  I was not happy when I got the letter.  If it was a "friendly" letter from my CEO (who I know very well) then he should not have printed it on company letterhead.
Regardless, I agree that what I choose to do on my time is my business.  I know several people in my company, including the CEO, are private pilots and SCUBA divers.  I think those hobbies can be considered  just as "dangerous" as motorcycle racing.  I just think in a job interview it might be better to keep the fact that you are a licensed motorcycle racer to yourself, at least until after they hire you and you have been there a few weeks.
QuoteMy company is self-insured and will not cover any accidents during a sanctioned race
The AMA was fighting some legislation that passes a few years ago that made it LEGAL for insurance companies to deny claims for injuries due to motorcycle racing and other hobbies.  When I broke my collarbone I told the doctor I got in a mountain bike accident since even leisure off-road motorcycle riding could be declined.

Nate R

I told my current employer about my need for time off. Being a company that was formed soley to run a race team, they understood, and have been awesome about the time off I've needed.  8)

The other company I work for is my own, so no probs there.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

TZDeSioux

QuoteOne of the people here just got clobbered by a tree in his own yard this weekend; maybe they SHOULD ask Kwak if he's taking off to work around the house.   ;)

I live in the hood.. there aint no trees here sucka. Word

Nate R

Quotethere aint no trees here sucka

Not anymore, apparently!  ;D :P
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

spyderchick

Where Roger works he and Rhiannon were the ENTIRE paint department for many years. It must have made th boss nuts to know they both raced. He even came to a race once, and I think he understood that it's alot less dangerous than street riding. Of course they both rode their bikes approx 30 miles each way to work. :o ;) ;D
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

GSXR RACER MIKE

When I got my 1st street bike I kept it a total secret at work. Late that 1st year the owner saw me riding on the street and confronted me ASAP the next day at work. He chewed me out for about a 1/2 hour about riding a motorcycle and the fact that he had a vested interest in me. When I asked how, he said that it cost him about $100,000 for the job training I had recieved up to that point and that it would be quite a financial loss to him if I got injured or killed. Of course the mention of anything other than the almighty dollar was never said (no care of the actual fact of me being injured or killed). I continued to ride motorcycles but kept it very low profile at work.

Moving ahead 5 years after that I got involved in roadracing with CCS. I knew that with my bosses attitude that this would be an absolute no-no. I kept this quiet at work for a few years until someone saw me towing my race bike on my open trailer and told everyone at work. I was never confronted by management about this, but from what I heard they were furious. To this day the upper management will not acknowledge in anyway that they are aware of me racing (I believe partially for insurance purposes). If they see me wearing a racing shirt or see a calender or something they just walk the other way and complain to others how I am playing Russian Roulette with company assests (namely my skills/knowledge of my job). Even when I try my best to not talk about racing at work, so many people still come up and talk to me about it while I am working that it ticks off the management, yet I am still working while talking.

With 4 weeks vacation time that I can take in any way, shape, or form (as long as I give notice) they can't really deny me taking days off - unless someone else is gone and I have to cover for a hot job. I just wish I could go to work and do my job and not be discriminated against because of how I live my life outside of work, total BS! >:(
Smites are a cowards way of feeling brave!   :jerkoff:
Mike Williams - 2 GSXR 750's
Former MW Region Expert #58
Racing exclusively with CCS since '96

tzracer

QuoteWhere Roger works he and Rhiannon were the ENTIRE paint department for many years. It must have made th boss nuts to know they both raced. He even came to a race once, and I think he understood that it's alot less dangerous than street riding. Of course they both rode their bikes approx 30 miles each way to work. :o ;) ;D

Is Roger's bike the red/white/blue Honda I sometimes see parked out front?
Brian McLaughlin
http://www.redflagfund.org
Donate at http://www.donate.redflagfund.org

2 strokes smoke, 4 strokes choke

CCSRacer114

My race bikes both have our company logo on them.

I guess they know I race (especially since I bring a bike to the office in the pick up around once a month).

We all know the risks of racing, just as I know the risks of driving at 10pm on a Tuesday night from Jacksonville, Fl back to Miami so I can meet with clients at 9am the next morning.

I work hard, I race and my company is a sponsor.

:)