Main Menu

Steering Dampers??

Started by firerider, July 27, 2004, 04:21:27 PM

firerider

Just checking to see if CCS requires a steering damper to race?? Thanks

cornercamping

I wouldn't race without one.  ;)

Woofentino Pugrossi

They dont require one, but they should with some bikes if not all.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

Super Dave

Bike should handle.

Dampener...well, it dampens.

The 1969 Honda CR750 that I rode at Daytona and set the vintage lap record with did NOT have a steering dampener.

And I didn' have one on my R6 until mid season last year.

Dampen the chassis too much with a steering dampener and you may never sort out the other problems.

It isn't required.
Super Dave

firerider

Thanks everyone, so far Im with dave, I have never needed one yet on the track.

Jeff

As others say...  It isn't required, but can be good to have depending on how you use it.

The best damper on the market won't fix poor rider inputs or chassis problems.  Most headshake/slappers can be eliminated through a light grip.  However, I still run with a damper and appreciate the piece of mind provided by it...

I recently went through a lock-to-lock tank slapper at BHF while running the track backwards, between turn 3 & 2.  The front tire hopped so bad I heard the chirp 3 times, and the bars were basically out of my hands at that time.  I would say the damper really helped me here.

Another time the damper will definitely help is if you're at a track with gravel traps and go off.  Watch T5 at Road A.  When people go off there, if they don't have a damper, the front tire folds to the side and they go down...
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest