News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Donnie Unger #5

Started by TightSqueeze, October 07, 2002, 07:21:51 AM

TightSqueeze

Donnie highsided in T7 at VIR.  He's was awake & coherent at the scene, but complained of severe back pain and had some numbness in his legs.  

By this morning, it was determined that he had broken his L1 (First Lumbar Vertabrae) but had feeling & movement in all areas.  He will have surgery this morning, probably to determine the severity of the situation.

Any cards, letters, or donations can be sent care of the TSR Injury Fund:

Donnie Unger
%TSR Injury Fund
45485 Baggett Terr
Sterling, VA 20166

TreyBone

Sorry to hear that :( I know Donnie will be back up kicking around before you know it. Get well soon so we can run some more next year. I enjoyed assisting you with the school Saturday and look forward to working with you again.  

Cycleaddict

As does everyone I'm sure. I hope he has a complete and speedy recovery.

Although I don't know him personally, I thought it was real classy of him to jump off his bike during a red flag re-grid of mw sportsman and offer to share his water with any of the racers near him.

Which race was this in?

Speedballer347

I don't know Donnie, but I am sorry to hear about his accident and wish him the best recovery.
CCS #347 expert, MW/GP, GSXR1000
JoJo Bits, HighSpeedAssault.com, WickedStickers.com, GNO Kneesliders, WFO-Motorsports IL, ImageX Photography, Royalty Racing

B-MAC

Thank you for the update Steve. I was very worried when I came around T7 and saw him laying there. Please let us know how he is doing, thanx, Brian

GregR6

WHAT?!  :o

I guess with such a busy first race day I spent most off time just sitting around resting and not watching races. I didn't even know he crashed!

I rode with him alot during my school on Saturday, ...I really don't know what to say. Hope for a healthy recovery for Donnie and hope to see next year out there!

TightSqueeze

This report from Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:51:04:

He was in surgery until 9:30 last night. They built a titanium box around the bottom vertebrae and filled it with epoxy and bone from a rib that they removed. The box is supported with titanium rods. There is no apparent nerve damage and they are making him a custom back brace to wear until the bone solidifies. He has all tubes removed but is on a liquid diet for now. He will be released as soon as the brace is fitted. He is currently still in ICU.

TrophyGal

Thanks for the report, Steve!

I am keeping my fingers (and everything else) crossed for Donnie.  He is such a terrific guy - loves racing and helping newbies learn - a big grin stays on his face 90% of the time.

I can't even remotely imagine what he's going through right now.  My prayers are with him and his family that they will all come through this unscathed!!!

qship62

I don't know Donnie other than that he is usually the guy way out front of a Middleweight Sportsman race and that I'm lucky if I can still see him at the checkered flag.

I hope his surgery went well and hope to hear some updates from those who are close to him.

Donnie, Wishing you a speedy recovery...

Pat Salonis
CCS #62

CCS243

Donnie had a high side in turn 7, (Uphill) on Sunday in the Twins race.  Landed on his right butt cheek, which is now a beautiful color according to Julia, but she always like his butt anyway, and that impact shattered L1.  He will be in the Danville Regional Medical Center until next Tuesday, then transferred to Winchester Rehabilitation Center.  He got his brace, he called it a vest, probably a high tech corset, today and had gimped around the room a half dozen steps with a walker.  He wasn't too pleased with the function of his right leg, but has seen improvement.  When I spoke with he and Julia they seemed in good spirits, although he was still hoarse this afternoon.  He was still being transfused and looking forward to solid versus liquid diet.

Donnie asked that he not get deluged with calls for now.

His home address is:

19 East Leicester Street
Winchester, VA  22601

Cycleaddict

Thanks for the update and address. It's good to hear some positive news!

Bart

Any updates on Donnies condition? Get well soon!