News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

SV Gearing at BHF and Road Am?

Started by Nate R, October 06, 2002, 08:55:07 PM

Nate R

So, do i need to get a 14 tooth front sprocket for BHF? (I have a 44 tooth rear.)

And is Road America OK with the stock 15/44 gearing, or is the 14 better there, too?  

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Protein Filled

For BHF use a 15/45 (stock for the regular sv). You won't use much of 6th gear, but it will give you the right shift points for the track.

At Road America, 15/44 or 15/43, depending on wind direction and how good of a drive you get out of the corners.

So, I would say you don't need a 14 tooth front.
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

Super Dave

Stocker?  I think Mike Riebe and Ed Key use a 13/43 set up or something.  I know that they use a six speed gearbox at Blackhawk.
Super Dave

sdiver68

Does anyone think that gearing is something you "can" leave alone for your first year, which allows you to concentrate on other things?  Of course if the fast guys share their gearing with you than I guess you haven't lost much time worrying about it.

Right or wrong, I ran the entire season last year on stock gearing (not to mention stock chain and sprockets) on my '01 GSXR600.  the only place where I felt it hurt me was BHF Turn 7...where second gear had me entering the straight at 8K rpm...and 1st was redline.

This year... I bought an impact wrench ;D
MCRA Race School Instructor

Protein Filled

QuoteStocker?  I think Mike Riebe and Ed Key use a 13/43 set up or something.  I know that they use a six speed gearbox at Blackhawk.

Really? hmm... I guess going that far down may work, but I tried going down to a 14/45 and 14/46, which should be similar to what you mentioned, and the shift points moved to the middle of the corner so it was hard to shift while leaned over, but I found the stock gearing worked well.
I guess it depends on how fast you go through the corner and both of them are a couple of seconds faster than me, so that may be the difference. FWIW, Steve Atlas did 17's on his SS SV with the stock gearing and he was the one who told me to stick to stock...
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!