Video System

Started by cornercamping, July 12, 2004, 10:46:02 AM

cornercamping

I was talking to someone about my old 748.  This was primarily a street bike, but it saw the occasional track day.  On this bike, I built a custom video system.  Those of you that remember the bike, it was the yellow one with yellow wheels.  Anyways, it had a small 1" "Lipstick" camera between the Ferraci cans.  You could not see the camera unless you knew what your looking for.  Anyways, I then had a 4" color video monitor up front next to the gauges. This system was designed to show what was behind me, and worked alot better than regular mirrors, which I took off the bike.  The camera was a color, reverse image, wide angle camera, and provided a greater area of view what was behind me and to the side of me. It also had a "steady shot" circutry so it would not show a vibrating picture even though the bike would vibrate like hell.  I loved this system.  I'm an EE by trade, and I was wondering, could you put this system LEGALLY on a race bike, to show who's behind you?  AMA allows cameras on the bike obviously, but what about us?  Can we have a camera on the bike DURING a race, and also a small video monitor?   I'll try to find pictures of my setup.   They were online at one point, but I can't find pictures anywhere.  I have to dig thru archives.

Whatcha' think?  CCS/WERA legal?  

FYI: If it is and you decide to try this, don't just buy any camera.  It has to be REVERSE IMAGE otherwise it will throw you off when you look at it because everything is behind you.  If you use a regular image camera, you'll get confused.

and the whole set up costs about $200.00 and is a 2 wire installation.  30 minutes on most bikes.  I'll point you in the right direction on where to get them.

Protein Filled

I think you should concentrate on what's ahead of you, not what's behind...
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

cornercamping

QuoteI think you should concentrate on what's ahead of you, not what's behind...

It would be nice to know what's behind you if nobody is in front of you but lappers  ;D  Not that that would ever happen to me  :(

Protein Filled

Humm, the track is ahead of you at all times...well, except for when you run off-track. You should always try and ride the track. If someone is behind you and you start getting all worried about it, they will soon be in front of you and you won't need the video any longer.  ;)
Edgar Dorn #81 - Numbskullz Racing, Mason Racin Tires, Michelin, Lithium Motorsports

Don't give up on your dreams! If an illiterate like K3 can write a book, imagine what you can do!

cornercamping

Jeff

hehe...   Only if I can get a playstation II installed as well.

Oh, and when I see one of these, I'll hang a small pic of the front of my bike abotu 6" off the camera  ;D
Bucket List:
[X] Get banned from Wera forum
[  ] Walk the Great Wall of China
[X] Visit Mt. Everest

cornercamping

Quotehehe... Ê Only if I can get a playstation II installed as well.

That can be arranged  ;D  Nothing like being able to play MotoGP 3 while going into turn 5  :P

ecumike

yea forget it, kinda neat, but stupid imo.  As if concentrating on the track, your tach, traffic, braking, and other shlt isnt enough.

speedster_1

You should ride like there is someone on your arse the entire time!  That way, your not so surprised when you get stuffed!

I would like to know about vid cams being legal during the race.  I assume if it passes tech your ok?

ecumike

Yea they are legal. I've passed through tech with my onboard camera just fine. It is a 'bullet-cam' though.