News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

OK, How about ALL gear???

Started by Nate R, October 05, 2002, 10:22:07 PM

Nate R

OK, I'm looking for suggestions an all gear. Obviously you all overall said to go for the Sidi Boots. How about leathers? I'm looking at the Teknik Lightning suit. Reviews on that one seem to be decent compared to others in the same price range.

I'm thinking more in the $700 range, though. Like the Alpinestars SMX suit. Any thoughts on that one?
Where else can I get leathers besides: MAW, Dennis Kirk, 1888Fastlap, Street & Comp, and New Enough? Is there anything else that sells leathers? (Anything significant, that is)

Gloves? Is the AGV Carbon 7 OK?

Thanx for all your help!
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

schpreck

I think I have to disagree with the Sidi boots comment.  I used them for years, and got alot of foot injuries.  They were comfy, yes, but I have crashed an eaqual amount of times with my Alpinestars and had no owies.  They just seem to limit lateral movement better.  They have been through many more intense crashes and held up beautifully.  

As far as gloves...Held.  Best gloves I've ever had.

I use Spyke leathers, and they crash VERY well.

roadracer797

As for boots I too wear alpinestars and have had no problems other than finding toe sliders for them.
Leathers are so different that you must find what works for you, you should find a shop in your local area that has some to try on or maybe go to one of the riding scholls and try theirs on, also talk to a leather repair person who specializes in race leathers to find out who has the best stitching.
As for gloves I have heard that everybody has a different opinion on them so also find what works for you.

KBOlsen

At that price range, you're at the entry level for custom made suits... which will have better construction.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

THE_D.O.C.

VANSON VANSON VANSON VANSON!!!!!!!
ARAI ARAI ARAI ARAI ARAI ARAI!!!!!!!
HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD!!!!!!!
SIDI SIDI SIDI SIDI SIDI SIDI SIDI!!!!!!!

Nexus

Nate.

for price i would checkout joe rocket...i think they make good leathers at a reasonable price.

we have Joe rocket highsides for something like $400...i think the parts dept is trying to clear them out.

i like my Texports leathers and Sidi boots :)

Nexus

Nate R

Nexus,

Are they really good leathers? I've heard their Highside suit falls apart quickly, even for something in that price range.

Nate
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

Nexus

not sure...anyone here use them...they look very thick with good stitching.

my Texports cost more but have held up pretty good in 2 crashes.

if you want call me at work and i can see what kind of deals we can pass for different leathers.

anthony
773.338.7320 wk.

THE_D.O.C.

i had a pair of joe rocket gloves that disentegrated all by themselves. no crash was necessary. joe rocket sucks, and i will never buy their procducts again.

sdiver68

Call 888FastLap and see if their excellent Kobe contingency program is returning next year.  If so, they almost seem a no brainer.
MCRA Race School Instructor

Cycleaddict

I can say, after much field testing :P, Vanson make one of the most durable suits out there. They also have an awesome re-dye and repair program that keeps them looking as good as new!

bfkidd

Kobe is around $700 and it is the best for the money, maybe for twice the money. And those contingency certs that keep coming don't hurt either.