News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

03 R1 motor specs

Started by Rich, June 21, 2004, 09:17:50 PM

Rich

I bought an 03 R1 w/ 750 miles on it.

At 1300 miles its making some HORRIBLE noises. Its seems like they are coming from the top end. Its a cross between a valve clearance sound and a knocking sound.

I just found out that they previous owner started to put a Graves Cam in and then returned it to stock. I think he may have milled the head but am not sure.

So...if somebody either can give me the exact specs of the cylinder head or can measure theirs....it would be much appreciated.

I have a pic of the exact measurement I am refering to....but it the cam didn't focus very well.

Basically...if you were to remove the airbox, throttle bodies, and valve cover - there is a little lobe on the piston side of the head - perfect place to clamp your micrometer. From there... you should be able to get an accurate measurement.
Rich
CCS EX GP 179
www.greenlawnracing.com
caferacerinc.com, TC Concepts, Extreme Cycle, Pit Bull, Vortex, Chickenhawk, XT Racing

TZ_Boy

Why are you so concerned if the head is milled or not?  You need to find out what the noise is and correct it.

INSANESTEVE777

IF THE HEAD WAS MILLED THAN THE CAMS NEED TO BE DEGREED OR IF MIGHT ENTERFERE THE VALVES INTO THE PISTONS!! YOU MIGHT HAVE A CAM TENSIONER GOING SOUTH TOO. TOUCH THE CAM CHAIN TENSIONER WHILE ITS RUNNING AND MAKING THE NOISE,SEE IF IT FEELS LIKE ITS RIGHT THERE OR NOT.