Phil's Iraq address posted here!

Started by K3 Chris Onwiler, June 17, 2004, 03:16:48 AM

K3 Chris Onwiler

Everybody's been asking, so here it is.  Anyone who knows anyone who might have been looking for this, please pass it on.  Phil is BEGGING for news of the track and his friends there.

SSG Bresnahan
Unit 91702
LSA Anaconda
APO,AE 09391

Thanks!
"K3" Chris Onwiler
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

K3 Chris Onwiler

Here is the letter that I sent to Phil today.  Anyone who knows him will get a chuckle out of this.  The profanity blocker should be working overtime on this one!

Hey Phil!

Dude, you are such a knucklehead!  I just got your letter today.  I guess my mom got the sanitized version.  Road Warrior?  Call in the bird?  Leave it to you to think that it's FUN to fight in a war!  I almost laughed myself sick over your genuine disappointment at being forced to turn wrenches instead of riding the gun truck!  It reminded me of Apocalypse Now, when Kilgore ends the famous "Napalm" speech by wistfully saying, "Some day this war's gonna end..."

I've known you for what? Twenty-five years?  We've got a lot of history.  Best not to mention most of it, since the statute of limitations might still be in effect...  Point is, ah really luv yew, man!  You're as close to a brother as I've ever had.  We are very alike in the sense that difficulty and danger challenges us, and gives us a buzz!  Yeah, I can see you having a good time there.  But Christ!  Don't get fucking killed, OK?  I'd miss you too damn much.  Really, I miss you too damn much already.  Every day there is news of the war.  Guys are getting hurt and killed over there, and I don't like it a bit that you might be one of them.  Yes, yes.  I know that racing motorcycles is a blood sport, but it's different.  Why?  Because it's ME!  I don't worry about me.  Besides, my motorcycle isn't actively trying to kill me.  Remember us quoting the Blues Brothers as a tornado flattened our tent around us?  That kind of danger is OK.  Bullets and bombs are NOT OK!

Your bikes are still nestled snugly under their covers in my garage.  I'm broke as hell, but I still ride once in a while.  My latest gig is as a control rider for Sportbike Track Time.  Imagine, they let me ride for FREE!  I keep feeling like I'm going to get CAUGHT, or something!  Last Wednesday, we ran Road America.  My GSXR750 will roll 175mph on the way to Turns One, Five, and Twelve.  I did nine 20-minute sessions, and shaved five seconds off my lap times.  That new chicane is the coolest corner at the track.  You fly around the carrousel just like before, accelerate, and ride almost all the way to the old kink.  Then there is a sharp ninety degree left, a 100 foot straight, and a one hundred twenty degree right that points you straight out the exit of the old kink.  It's really technical, and a great place to pass.  I nearly high sided there while dueling with a Hayabusa!    I also carried the rear tire over the crest into Six a bunch of times.  Scary!  Part of the control rider gig is instructing the track day guys.  I like that.  There is nothing like helping someone to get faster!

I corner worked at the last Blackhawk, because I had no money to race.  At one point while I was working the Bus Stop, I looked at the schedule.  Amateur GTU.  I said to my fellow workers, "I predict that in a few moments, that runoff area will be littered with broken fiberglass."  Warm up lap.  BAMBAMBAMBAM!  "How the hell did you know that was going to happen?"  Just a lucky guess...  Sunday, I moved to main gate with Jan.  The action followed me.  Jan says "Hi, don't get shot."  You will just have to imagine his Swiss accent...  Everybody misses you.  On a personal note, I cry now every time I hear the Star Spangled Banner.  I'm standing there with my hand on my heart, fixing to race in the land of the free and the home of the brave, but you are out in the desert with your boys, giving me that opportunity.  Thank you.  I worry, but I'm really proud of you.

Tez busted his wrist at Pikes Peak.  He's still traveling with the team and doing the publicity stuff, but Pasquel Picote is riding the bike while he heals.  Jordan Racing is the real deal, and has been getting lots of ink.  I've even been writing about them!  Speaking of writing, my racing novel is almost finished.  Hopefully I'll be able to get it published.  I think I'm going to call it HIGHSIDE!  

That's all I can think of to tell you right now.  I'm going to send along some of my articles from Chicagoland Motorsports News, because you'd probably read ANYTHING these days...

Keep your head down, DAMMIT!
Chris
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"

Dawn

Nice letter Chris....

... you just missed one point about corner working at the bus stop.   ;)  ;D

Dawn   :)

K3 Chris Onwiler

251am

Does he want some bike mags? I don't know the guy but I know what service time is like w/o a good suspension review.  ;D   I'll ship him some good Brit bike rags.

K3 Chris Onwiler

dylanfan53

Chris,
If you're still seeing this, I got a nice thank you note from Phil for the mags.  Thanks for taking the lead on this to let people know of things that can be done for friends there.

Don Cook
CCS #53