Big thanks to Michael Chachare + brake lever warn

Started by sdiver68, August 26, 2002, 09:08:15 AM

sdiver68

After noticing my brakes were fading pretty severly towards the end of races at BHF, I took out the pads and discovered one of them was down almost to the metal.  No problem, just go to the trackside vendors and get some.  Problem is, none of them had any!  ???  :'(  :o  >:(

Michael Chachare sold me a spare set (even though we were dicing for position in several races both days).  Yes, I would do the same for anyone else, but it still deserves a big shout out and thanks.

Now for the warning....

While examining my brake system for possible causes of fade, I noticed my lever was slightly crooked.  Close inspection revealed the top half cracked into 2 pieces at the base, where the screw holds it in place.  This happened during a parking lot tip over when my bike got hit by someone elses, and there was no other evident damage as it basically landed on the frame slider first.  Point is, check your brake lever carefully anytime it possibly has made sharp contact with anything else, or maybe as part of our routine pre-race checks.  It scares me to no end to think how many times I was braking to the point of sliding into turn 1 @ 135+ mph with 1/2 the lever cracked.
MCRA Race School Instructor

dave333

sdiver68

I never looked at my speedo, which is why I said 135+, just a guess.  My best lap time was 1:17.3 on DOT's.

dave333

TZDeSioux

dave333

I was clocking one of the riders with dredlocks that stick out under his helmet at 1:15's at BHF.  I also pitted next to him at Gateway.  He is fast and SMOOOTH. He was an amateur, I believe... (i'm sure i will be corrected if wrong)

dave333

And if you can't tell I'm joking, please get your hearing checked...  The life you save may be your own. ;D ;D ;D

sdiver68

The amateur with dreadlocks is Michael Chachare, yellow/black GSXR # 227, and I got my 1:17's following him.  1:15's are great, He beat me by less than a bike in 2 races  :(, by a large margin in 3 races, and I beat him in 1 (ULGP, the money race :) ).

But anyway, the experts on 600's were turning consistent low 15's/high 14's by my timer, so I still need to find a consistent 3-4 seconds at BHF.

dave333

I know who michael is, I was at Road Atlanta with him at the Schwantz School.  This wasn't Mike.  BTW, Sdiver, nice times!

Hey, btw, Mike is a great guy...  

dave333

Hey Sdiver, what kind of bike do you have that broke the lever?

TZDeSioux

Gixxer124

Open your eyes man. It's right there in his signature. Jeeze.  ;D