News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Question about first race

Started by GAMEDIC, August 19, 2002, 07:26:56 PM

GAMEDIC

Robling aug 31 will be my first race...do i need to wear somehitng like my school shirt over my leathers so i don't get run over (well run over as bad)lol?

rmahr137

yes, that would be a good idea.  Do you have a t-shirt from the school you used to get your license?  
Wear that.

funksouljon

Kind of depends on you.
My first race weekend at VIR (WERA Cycle Jam) I decided to wear a bright shirt. It being my first weekend there, I figured I would be safer if I wore it even though I didn't have to. After some time on the track (figuring out when it went left and when it right), I felt like I was fast and consistent enough to run without it.

GAMEDIC

I thought i needed to...just making sure...i will at least for one race...

CBRman93

I elected not to wear my t-shirt in my first race. I didn't want to be a target since I had this huge X on my back. LOL

Definitely optional. If you think you will be doing halfway decent, don't wear it. If you know you're going to be a backmarker, wear it.

My $.02

BC61

If you will be gridded in the first wave or if there is any chance at all you will be lapped then it is a good idea to wear it. If your turning 1:28's or slower chances are you'll get lapped in a 7 lap sprint. If it's your first race you will be startled when someone comes across your front wheel mid corner. Better riders will give you extra room when making passes if they are coming through the field on the start or lapping people.

GAMEDIC

i think i will wear it..lol...so i will be the one you can't see with the BRIGHT green shirt on... :o

ecumike

I didn't wear mine for my first CCS race weekend... and I won my first race.

Gixxer124

QuoteI didn't wear mine for my first CCS race weekend... and I won my first race.
Me too! But do what you think is best. ;D

GAMEDIC

well i'm on a gsxr1000 i don't think i will win my first one...there are some fast guys in that class right?

ecumike

Yea, I'm sure there are fast riders, but don't discount yourself dude.... I did, I NEVER thought I would win a race my first season, or even come in top 5... but it is happening... 10/19 races, I've placed top 5.  And the part they say about filling out contingency forms even if you don't think you are that good... DO IT...  I almost missed out on ~$350 for the race I won b/c I wasn't going to fill out the form for my first race weekend, but my fiancee made me do it, and I thank her.

TZDeSioux

I wore my learning curves t shirt and came in dead freaking last and I was proud that I finished the race.