News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

R6 stock suspension set-up

Started by Dave  CCS SW#99am, August 18, 2002, 07:00:25 PM

Dave  CCS SW#99am

I'm looking for tips on suspension set-up for a 2000 R6.  The suspension is OEM.  I know the best way to go would be to swap it out for a higher performance set up, so you don't have to tell me.  Unfortunately, that isn't an option right now. :(

Some info:
I'm 6' tall and weigh about 190 with gear.  I'm no Hayden by far, but I'm a pretty quick rider.

Any help that I can get will be appreciated.

tcchin

As a minimum, replace your fork springs with .90 or .95kg/mm rate springs (or one of each). Your high-speed fork damping will be a little lacking, but it should be adequate. Set your race sag to 35F/25R and adjust your low-speed damping so the overshoot is just barely gone, and you should be good to go.

schpreck

As a minimum, replace your fork springs with .90 or .95kg/mm rate springs (or one of each). Your high-speed fork damping will be a little lacking, but it should be adequate. Set your race sag to 35F/25R and adjust your low-speed damping so the overshoot is just barely gone, and you should be good to go.

I agree that's just about where I hed a friend of mine's R-6 when I borrowed it for a CCS weekend. The damping was "a little lacking", but I got some pretty good lap times.    R6s are pretty unforgiving, so be careful not to highside!  I almost did a couple of times.

Decreasing_Dave

Thanks for the advise guys.  I follow it somewhat.  I had to stick with stock front springs and make the best of it.

It apparently went OK because on only my second race weekend ever I came home with lots of wood and money too.  I got to chase Kane around for a couple of laps ;D before he just started pulling away. :-/

I was running 1:12s (expert times) on the Firebird Main course.  I can't wait 'til next year on some real suspension though.  The track was pretty bumpy.

Thanks again for your help.
Dave

schpreck

Was that your first time on that track?  Have they done something about the Tower turn?  I've always hated that one.  It's the last turn before you get onto the straight/dragstrip.

Decreasing_Dave

Yeah, that was my first time on that track.  I did the school on the East course.  I'm not sure which one I dislike more.

The tower turn is still what it was.  I was there for the Friday Nite Drags.  There was a LOT more rubber put down on that track on Friday Nite. >:(  I was spinning on my 2nd to 3rd gear shifts and that was up the track a bit.  I'm thinking that with a little bit of quality engineering, they might be able to get a couple more walls on the outside of some of those turns. :o

Roger@ASMA

I run my R6 with stock suspension over here at Arroyo Seco (about 2 1/2 hours from SV). A few months ago I finally put in stiffer front springs and that helped a bunch with weight transfer issues (both braking and side to side transfer). So far I haven't decided to invest in a shock because nobody's doing the same lap times yet. I hear Rory Palmers going to be here again this weekend so if he drops a second or so off his lap times from the last time he was here maybe I'll be looking for a shock! Currently, the top 2 riders in our series are running stock shocks on our bikes.

By the way, I'm at 185lbs, so our weight is about the same. If you make it over this way there is no shortage of people willing to help you with setup. On tracks without alot of high speed (100mph+) corners, most modern bikes can be made to work pretty good on stock stuff.

Decreasing_Dave

I might make it there this weekend...but not in the way that I would like.  I chingered up my ribs at the Streets of Willow course last weekend.  I may be at Arroyo Seco so that Lou can do some dyno work to my bike.  I'm trying to jet for different fuel.

If I get there, I'll look you up.

Later,
Dave

MZGirl

Hey Dave...if ya make it stop by and say hi.  I don't believe I've met you yet.

Just look for a loud, yellow MZ #196.  Oh yeah, I'll have my little green '72 Honda CL 450 out for the vintage stuff, which also has #196 on it.

Hope the healing process is going well.

Decreasing_Dave

Yeah....I didn't make it there this weekend.  I had a bad nite thursday nite with sleeping and all.  Went out a bought a new mattress on friday.  It won't be here 'til Monday.   Been sleeping on the chair.  Since I started that I've been feeling good.

I'll have to get with Lou somewhere else.  I re-jetted my bike and hope to get more ponies.  Seems to run good, a little rich, but it should be since I'm at 4600 MSL.  I'm hoping that it will be right on for our tracks since they are WAY closer to sea level.

If you go to Buttonwillow, stop by.  I've got the BIG toyhauler with the maroon Expedition.  My wife says that everyone knows who I am but no-one can talk to me 'cuz I'm always inside the 'hauler.  A/C Rules!!!

I'm usually pretty busy at the track.. I think the "racing" part is just trying to get ready on time.  I'll stop by if I see your pits.

Thanks for the good wishes,
Dave