News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Street Racing  Glorified?

Started by EM JAY, January 10, 2004, 09:48:11 AM

EM JAY

Ok, just received my Maxim issue for this month and they have an article on street/drag racing.  From what I got out of it, maybe I read wrong, but it seems to glorify street racing, even if it starts with 'Javier wasn't supposed to die at 140 miles per hour'.  I would love to see (key K-3 here) someone write a resopnse and have them cover the REAL racing!  I've heard it before somewhere,'anyone can grab a handfull of throttle'.  I'd like to see what they could do on an actuall track.   I'll admit when I first started riding I was at time a fool and over rode my ability, but was lucky enough to find racing on the track and more then likely has saved my a$$.  Another quote is that 'Safety equipment is for pu$$ies.'  If you can believe it they guy featured didn't like Biker Boyz?   Just had to vent, I wish they would have done better on the article and at least compared it to roadracing or something?  Ya know?
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest
  Thanks to Expert Racing Ltd. in Chicago and Madness Custom Choppers of Fox Lake

K3 Chris Onwiler

Jordan, was that a challenge?  Hmmm...  Maybe I'll have to go buy a copy of Maxim.  Purely for research, mind you! :o
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

EM JAY

QuoteJordan, was that a challenge?  Hmmm...  Maybe I'll have to go buy a copy of Maxim.  Purely for research, mind you! :o
K-3 you've got skills man!  I totally enjoy your stuff in Motorsports News.  Just wanted someone with some talent to set em streight, mabey offer to tell em how it really is, that would be a worth while article!
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest

dwilson

Quotehave them cover the REAL racing!
Quote'Safety equipment is for pu$$ies.'

This is America, who wants real?  Just look at TV, movies, fast food, fashion, etc...  Nobody wants REAL!  REAL is just so 1970's  ;)

I think the more ghetto bikers the better, I'm glad PA just repealed the helmet law as well.  Let them kill them selves off, maybe then there'll be enough surplus crashed sport bikes that I'll be able to afford something modern...  This is the same thing that happened with the outlaw chopper guys in the 70's.  It'll fade but not before making us look a little like them...

EM JAY

Well, I see your point a bit.   In the case of them covering actuall track racing it (if done right,K-3 ;D) then it would actully be more exciting than what they did with the street racing article.  I've had offers to street race and said sure, come to the track, you've got no excuses, no cops, no cars, offical times, no bull$hiting out of 'oh, you jumped the start' or whatever.  Nobody took me up on it?  Ok, I'm not the fastest (or slowest ;D) on the track but it backed down thoes guys that can only pull the throttle.  I just would like to see the street newbies given a more positive view ya know??  
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest

Super Dave

Ok, I accidently blew away my good statement.

I think it blows.  Bad image.  Where's the AMA on this?

XSBA?  Competition based on style and opinions?  All BS.

Give me points based on scoring, like football, or lap times.  Everything else is BS.  

Super Dave

K3 Chris Onwiler

Was this the Febuary issue?  I just looked at January on the newsstand & didn't find the article.
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com

EM JAY

QuoteWas this the Febuary issue?  I just looked at January on the newsstand & didn't find the article.

Yea, I believe so, I have a subscription so I get it earlier usually.  I'll bring it to the banquet if you can't find it, or so you don't have to buy it.  Racer budget!  ;)
Michael Jordan
           CCS EX #??   ASRA #??
   01 SV Midwest

spyderchick

Yeah, saftey equipment is for pu$$ies. Uh huh. yeah. If I were more cynical, (today I'm in a good mood), I'd say "let natural selection get 'em." But the truth of the matter is, that with movies like biker boyz and perhaps torque, this is the "image" of the sport bike rider. Great, huh? And the squids with their oakley "helmets" with the chickie on the back of their brand new R-1s riding up and down the local strip aren't doing us any favors.

The real shame of it is that you can reply in the letters section of any publication, and it won't get read or even a look by most people, cuz who really READS nowadays?  It's all about pretty pictures and hot babes.

I might not think that 2-wheel -Tuesday is the best journalism on TV, but at least they give a bit of a realistic look at the sport, and haven't so far succumbed to the "entertainment" value of being stupid.  
Alexa Krueger
Spyder Leatherworks
www.spyderleatherworks.com
www.redflagfund.org
Do or do not, there is no "try".

Artistimo

Gotta second that, Spyderchick.  It always makes me shudder when I go down to ride nights and see all those guys with no helmets riding like utter tw*ts.  In fact, this is pretty funny/sad, but a guy I rode with crashed his bike in a turn out west towards Madison on some road I'd never been on before.  But everyone was telling me what a great ride it was, etc., so I was looking forward to it b/c having lived in CA for four years and now having to deal with the straight roads in WI, you can imagine I was jonesing for some real roads.  Anyway, we were a mile down the "twisties" (if you can even call it that) and the guy went off, hit a sign post, went to the hospital.  Bottom line is, he was happy we'd persuaded him to wear his helmet, because even though he was knocked unconscious, it almost certainly saved his life.  Fast-forward two months and he'd traded his wrecked F4i for a new 600RR and shows up at bike night.  Wanna guess?  Yep, no helmet.  Some people never learn ... ::)

Sorry to digress off the topic, but just thought I'd add that.  Also, it's funny while we're on the subject, but I do custom paintwork on helmets.  I have done ZERO for people in the Milwaukee area, at least as far as street riders are concerned.  Why?  Nobody wears them anyway.  I've had would-be customers tell me they'd changed their minds when "buddies" talked them out if it, saying why waste money on a paintjob and helmet when you can buy exhaust, carbon fiber this or that, etc.   :-X  Most of my custom streetbike helmets come from CA and NJ, both states that mandate helmet usage.

Oh, yeah, I'm on my way to pick up Maxim.  I like to look at the pretty chicks for "research" purposes...lol  

TreyBone

Street Racing Glorified...

It is glorious to see a line of beautiful custom painted sportbikes all lined up in a row.
It is glorious to see the stretched "slingarms" to make them corner better.
It is glorious to see Hayabusa's with one front rotor removed to see the lusterous chrome wheel.
It is glorious to see all the knuckelhead wanna be's hanging out in a parking lot like they're cool.
It is even more glorious when they try to ride the pieces of crap they made from a perfectly good bike.
It is even more glorious when they all go ride and kill themselves.
It is even more glorious than that when they do not kill themselves and there parents have to feed them for the rest of their lives.
It is glorious because WE, the true riders can get all there $hit for pennies on the dollar when they screw up.
It would be glorious to just line them all up and shoot them in the mouth with a .357 so the rest of us don't have to pay inflated insurance prices because of their dumba$$'s >:(

YOUR RIGHT THIS IS GLORIOUS ;D

StuartV666

Dang, Trey. You are SO repressed! Don't hold back, man! Tell us what you really think.

;D