News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Re: What kind of tire are Michelin H2's?

Started by THE D.O.C., August 07, 2002, 03:09:27 PM

Mark Reeser

Michelin pays much better in endurance racing, and I think the pirellis are actaully beeter tires for overall, but they wear out much quicker than the michelins. Also since I have no sponsors I have to go with the $.

SliderPhoto

QuoteMichelin Pilots:
H2 - Hard compound for street use.
M2 - Medium compound suitable for track use.
S2 - Soft compound for track use.

Are you sure about this? I think H standing for Hard is a misnomer. The rear H2 is actually quite soft, softer than the Medium and harder than the S2.

thetireguy

I need to post some info on the Pilot Race 2 product line. The S2 is the Soft and is only availible from a race vendor. Best used for quailifing as the rear is alot like the Blue Pirelli/Metzeler SC1/RS1 and will only last a couple of GOOD races. The H2 is a Medium/Soft and is listed as Highway suitable NOT Hard compound, it is the standard commercial tire and it is availible at any local dealer or parts and accessories outlet. The front H2 is more of a street tire and best used for trackday riders and slower racers, the rear is a full race type tire and has very nice life for a $158.00 race tire. Then the M2 is a full Medium and like the Soft is only availible trackside for $360.00 per pair.

Lots of the racers on the new Pilots have been using the S2 front and the H2 rear at the short tracks with great results. This works good for beginer level riders and those needing a deal on race rubber $310.00 per set is the going rate on the S2/H2 120/180-17. Jeff Kramer has the new track record this year at Gateway with this combo. The M2 on both ends is the best choice for for abrasive tracks, hot weather or long races. Kramer also has the track record at the new Mid America Motorsports park using a S2/M2 combo.

Tom Mason

dave333