News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

KC 124 makes debut as head Basketball Coach

Started by Burt Munro, December 21, 2003, 09:31:27 PM

Burt Munro

This just in from the AP wires:

ATLANTA (AP) - Try as they might, the St. John's players just couldn't win one for their coaches - the old one or the new one.

B.J. Elder scored 11 of his 15 points in the second half and No. 5 Georgia Tech beat the Red Storm 79-66 Sunday, just two days after Kevin Clark replaced Mike Jarvis as coach.

Jarvis was fired Friday, only six games into his sixth season. St. John's (2-5) lost four of its first five games.

``I thought today was a terrific effort by the St. John's men's basketball team,'' Clark, the interim coach, said. ``They showed tremendous character against an excellent Georgia Tech basketball team, against a lot of adversity.

Clark, in his first game ever as a head coach, didn't make an appearance until just before the national anthem, walking out of the tunnel with Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt.

During the game, he stayed mostly quiet,(that's hard to believe!) allowing assistant Dermon Player to shout out most of the instructions.

``It's really not that different,'' Clark said of his debut. ``You get ready for games the same way, you still watch film, make sure there's air in the tires and develop a scouting report. The difference is when you step on the floor, and the difference there is that your team is suddenly looking for leadership from you.''

Unfortunately,  Kevin's record is now 0-1 as a head coach.

Who would have thought that he'd have the time to take on a new career.  I guess since retirement from the Air Force he just had some extra time n his hands!

Rick
Founding member of the 10,000+ smite club.  Ask me how you can join!

K3 Chris Onwiler

Was that Red-headed stepchild coach? ;D
And that quote about air in the tires?  Priceless!
The frame was snapped, the #3 rod was dangling from a hole in the cases, and what was left had been consumed by fire.  I said, "Hey, we've got all night!"
Read HIGHSIDE! @ http://www.chrisonwiler.com