Thank You Blackhawk EMT's and Corner Workers

Started by lafer, July 30, 2002, 11:17:44 AM

lafer

I just wanted to say "Thanks" to the EMT's and cornerworkers that assisted me last Saturday at Blackhawk.  My injuries turned out to be worse than was first thought, with a broken collar bone, broken hand, fractured ribs, and surgery (spleen rewmoved).  I believe the response of those at the track was excellent, and I appear to be on my way to a complete recovery after spending 7 days at Rockford Memorial.

Thanks All!

Also, if there is anyone out there who could describe what happened to me, specifically how I landed, I'd like to hear from you.  This was Race 4 MW Sportsman, lap 2, turn 1, bike 74.  Please e-mail any info you may have.

Thanks,

Marty  lafer@ameritech.net

Dawn

Marty:

Wow...  Sorry to hear about your injuries.  We hope that your recovery is a speedy one.

Dawn and Paul
CCS AM #996

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteI just wanted to say "Thanks" to the EMT's and cornerworkers that assisted me last Saturday at Blackhawk.  My injuries turned out to be worse than was first thought, with a broken collar bone, broken hand, fractured ribs, and surgery (spleen rewmoved).  I believe the response of those at the track was excellent, and I appear to be on my way to a complete recovery after spending 7 days at Rockford Memorial.

Thanks All!

Also, if there is anyone out there who could describe what happened to me, specifically how I landed, I'd like to hear from you.  This was Race 4 MW Sportsman, lap 2, turn 1, bike 74.  Please e-mail any info you may have.

Thanks,

Marty  lafer@ameritech.net

You're welcome.:D I was cornering turn 1 that saturday. Sorry i couldnt tell you what happened. Too many crashes in turn 1 on saturday to remember the details of each. :( What color is your bike? That might jar my memory.

Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141
CCSForums Cornerworking and Classifieds Mod

KBOlsen

Marty - Hope you heal fast and totally!

(on a lighter note)  I am putting in a special request for Rob to work the front gate during the September BHF weekend, unless he can get rid of the magnet he wears that mysteriously pulls my bike off the track in his corners!  ;D

Seriously tho... you guys and ladies all do a tremendous job both on the track and in the first aid station - WOW!!!  You definitely had your hands full that weekend and the extreme heat didn't help.  God bless all of you.
CCS AM 815... or was that 158?

lafer

Rob,

I know it has been a few weeks, but does this jar any recollections?

I was on a dark blue bike that ended up far away from me.  I wear a bright orange helmet.  The first person to me (was it you?) said "You got run off!", which was nice to hear as that was how I remembered it!  The person who ran me off didn't go down, but after their inside pass on me he ran wide and off the track.  I stood the bike up to avoid hitting him, but crashed when I got into the gravel on the outside of the track.  I think it was because I was still leaned over quite a bit.

Anyway, I'm still curious as to my landing if you remember anything???

Thanks

Marty

Woofentino Pugrossi

Sorry. dont remember. I remember an orange helmet, but not how you landed. I think it was Dave (old skinny guy. well skinny compared to me ;D ) that picked you up. If it was the race with 3 bikes that went down in 1 I might had helped load the bikes up or move them to the infield.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

lisa driver

Hey, man, it's really good to hear you are ok. Dave and I were in the catcher's mitt at turn 1 when you went down, if I remember correctly. When I arrived on the scene, you were down on your back and had taken your helmet off and I think you said you thought had snapped your collarbone. You came off the track on the way out of the turn and I don't remember much about the way you landed but I remember the bike flipping and I vaguely remember wondering if your bike hit you at one point. Sorry I can't be more informative, but I am glad to hear you are on the mend.
--lisa

lafer

Lisa and Rob,

Thanks for your replies.  Knowing a little more about what happened helps a lot.  I have nearly fully recovered...only a little pain is left, and I'm still in therapy to get full movement back in my hand.

The sad part is that I am done racing.   :'( My family and employer have been very supportive through all, but it has put a burden on both that I'd rather not repeat.  Racing has been one of the great experiences in my life, but it is time to move on to some other projects.

I think it's my turn to work some corners next year...

See ya' then!

Woofentino Pugrossi

QuoteThe sad part is that I am done racing.   :'(

I said that once before. Guess what? I started racing again after 10 yrs off the track in 99. Granted different format (road raced cars), but I'm back and having fun.
Rob
CCS MW#14 EX, ASRA #141

lafer

OK...I'm confused (it doesn't take much lately) :).  You are racing cars now or 10 yrs. ago? ???

I've come to the conclusion I'm just to damn big to crash!  As I was crashing, I was thinking "Oh great, another get off!".  I really wasn't expecting a lot of broken stuff.  But when my 230 lbs. plus equipment hit the ground I was thinking something much different...like "Why am I in so much pain?".

I think I shall cross over to the dark side and learn to golf...