News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

total loss

Started by r6_philly, November 12, 2003, 11:09:57 PM

r6_philly

is it ok to run total loss in FUSA sportbike and CCS sportbike?

Is it ok to loose the alternator?

is it ok to loose the starter?

and for those who has or had total loss bikes, how long does a battery reliably last between charges? Would the battery life be greatly reduced?

Thanks in advance

Mark Bernard

Some of our Buells have had the charging system removed and one has had the starter removed as well. There is no problem in doing so. With Karls bike, the charging system has been removed and we charge the battery between races. I think he ran the same battery all year. He never had a problem as long as the battery is charged before his races. Hope this helps.
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

Eric Kelcher

yes legal
on FI bikes in the longer races battery can go dead  

Eric Kelcher
ASRA/CCS Director of Competition

Nate R

Thanx Eric! I was considering going to total loss on my next sV, but now I'm not so sure. Unless the weight and complications of an extra battery are worth teh weight and rotating weight lost. (which I doubt)

Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

r6_philly

so I guess the best way to find out is to test it? I just like to know how long can a battery last on a FI bike... I suppose adding a second battey may not be a bad idea. Seeing that 03 R6 is pushing the weight limit already without having the charging system removed, the second battery may not be that bad of an idea. Then again weight limit is going to be reduced to 355 for sportbike, so I dont know... I guess I need to try it on the track to see how long it will last without the charging system active.

Nate R

I suppose that would work, eh? Just disconnecting the generator for testing.
Nate Reik
MotoSliders, LLC
www.motosliders.com
Missing my SV :-(

PJ

I've run total loss bikes. IMO it's not worth the hassle. I like the idea of being able to easily restart my bike if I stall it on the grid or crash. Also, I remember being out of breath on the grid after having to bump start my bike a few too many times. Whew. I'm too out of shape for that!
Paul James
AMA Pro XR1200 #70
www.facebook.com/jamesgangracing
www.twitter.com/jamesgangracing

Mark Bernard

QuoteI've run total loss bikes. IMO it's not worth the hassle. I like the idea of being able to easily restart my bike if I stall it on the grid or crash. Also, I remember being out of breath on the grid after having to bump start my bike a few too many times. Whew. I'm too out of shape for that!
Thats why I still have the charging system and starter in mine. Gettin too old to be push starting a bike!  
Mark (Bernie) Bernard
Race Control CCS/ASRA - Mid-West Region

lonewrench

dude if your sv is a carburated model you should be able to run a 4 hr endurance race on it .the std battery will last a long time.just get a battery tender and keep it on there.besides the acceleration gains from the removal of the flywheel will far exceed the woes of the battery
yours truly,
      the lonewrench

WebCrush

i ran total loss last summer on my GSXR600 with no problems, including running longer nationals and GTU's as well.  

I just keep the thing on a full car battery charger (have a simple dongle that connects to the battery and is accessible from the side of the seat which is a quick connect to the charger.

I also did NOT take the charger off and used many many time.  About 1/5 of the times I would bump start it rolling off the race stand.