News:

New Round added to ASRA schedule: VIR North Course

Main Menu

Need help with health care insurance options.

Started by Steviebee, November 07, 2003, 12:30:14 PM

Steviebee

ok, its the time of the year when i can choose my health care program.

I have 4 to choose from and i want to make sure that i am covered if i get hurt while racing.  Well i read through the Summary Plan Descriptions and i cant find anywhere it says i wont be covered for recreational sports or as a professional athelete ??

I know some guys said that they were not covered under thier programs,  can you help me out ?  Where do i find this fine print ??

There is a program exclusions section, like "No lasics eye corrections surgury", but has nothing about extreme sports, or anything.

So i guess im covered !  Which is what ive been told, but i wanted to check.

Steviebee

Steviebee

well i called them and asked about the exclusions.

Without specifically asking about road racing (someone told me not to tell them i was doing this ????), they said Bungy jumping, skydiving, extreme sports are all covered.  nothing i can do that is leagle would be an exclusion.  Although she did say getting into a bar fight(where i was the "Aggressor" wouldnt be covered.

MadXX

I am going through the same thing with my work.  I was planning on getting a written notice faxed to me stating that they would cover me specifically for road-racing.  If they say they cant they would have to show me the paragraph of the contract where it isnt covered.  I hope that works  :-/

My understanding is that group plans have restrictions on what they cannot exclude (namely most anything legal)  If you use private insurance or a self funded plan then they can exclude slipping on wet cement while eating butterscotch pudding if they want to.

james-redsv

Also as part of your membership and race entries to CCS you are covered by them if you get hurt during one of their races. Its limited to something like 3k. ;D Ask CCS for details.